2.6

2007 Dodge Nitro fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Nitro:

2007 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 102016

Fuel tank overflows during fill up 0

- Taunton, MA, USA

Jun 012008

Nitro

My 07 Dodge Nitro rt has always had an issue while filling up, it doesn't stop like other vehicles and just over flows splashing gas all over the vehicle and floor. My fix for this was just to not fully fill the tank. The other issue I've had for the better part of a year is that I've had a "gas cap" error light that after replacing said gas cap and a trip to pepboys turned out it was a small evap leak caused by a faulty gas tank/innards common in older Nitros, in my experience this also causes a hard start. I think this is obviously a manufacturing issue in the gas tank and would like some guidence on a resolve. Thank you

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 042013

Nitro

Once fuel tank reaches it's capacity, gas spits back out overflowing the tank. Issue has been going on for awhile.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Feb 082016

Nitro

Truck hesitating to start on & off - consulted with Chrysler Jeep mechanic who I showed him a video of what I captured when my truck wouldn't start right away, advised me that it didn't sound or look like the ignition, that it possibly was the "external fuel pump relay and harness". truck was left at dealer for several days to allow them time to properly diagnose what may have been going on. Because of the quoted price [$435], I suggested to her that I would have my personal mechanic repair it and would like to purchase the actual harness kit which only cost $32.92. Part could not be purchased because it was flagged as an "recall". natasha checked w/mike to confirm this info, drop off date was set - asked her - there will be no charge, correct, since this is an recall part" she said no, there wouldn't, that's correct. Service tech kenney handed me a invoice for $415 stating there was a charge - which I totally disagreed. Once natasha arrived, we discussed this matter in total disagreement since I was under the understanding this was a "recall" part and wasn't expecting to pay as previously discussed. Later that day before returning to pick my truck up, I contacted the Dodge headquarters & spoke with caitlin. She stated because my truck didn't have any recalls on it, this part did not qualify & if it did, I would've been contacted. I told her I totally disagreed since I only found out during our discussion there was a recall on my truck for the gas tank - and I still have not been contact by mail or phone for that issue. Chrysler dealer services Dodge & Jeep vehicles & this is the only place I can get this part which has been considered a faulty/defective recall part and because I don't own a Chrysler, my truck doesn't qualify, but I'm forced to pay for a recalled part"

- Clinton, MD, USA

Jan 022014

Nitro

Every time I go to the gas station to fill up, gas overflows.

- Salem, OR, USA

Feb 012011

Nitro

When fueling my Nitro the gas flowed out of the tank and onto the side of my truck and the ground. It never shut off as it was supposed to when full.

- Pearland, TX, USA

May 272010

Nitro

Everytime that I fill up I have to watch fuel gauge is because the fuel pump does not pop when it is full until it overflows. This causes gas to get on the ground and all over the vehicle. This is a safety hazard. There are reports on a lot of forums that many people have had the same problem with this happening.

- Blacklick, OH, USA

Sep 052014

Nitro 6-cyl

Gas tank overflows when filling. This has happened every time since we bought the vehicle 3 weeks ago.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Sep 012009

Nitro 6-cyl

Fuel overflow when filling tank.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Mar 302014

Nitro

Fuel spills from filler neck when refueling.

- Auburn, PA, USA

Oct 172013

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel spewed from the filler neck. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the fuel tank assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Palos Park, IL, USA

May 012007

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that after refueling, fuel sprayed from the filler neck. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was recently repaired under the manufacturer's recall. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Conway, SC, USA

Aug 142013

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that whenever she would refuel the vehicle, fuel would spray out and drench her. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Houston, CA, USA

Sep 242011

Nitro 6-cyl

When filling the gas tank gas will shoot out of the tank at the pump when it finishes. I don't top of the tank or anything, it just shoots out, probably a quart or more of gas. This happens almost every time I pump gas. It happens at every gas station I've been to. When my mechanic tried discussing it with the car company they stated they knew it was a problem but wouldn't have it repaired. It's a danger to have gas shooting out of the tank at every fill-up and then dealing with gas all over the vehicle and me.

- Hayden, ID, USA

Apr 012012

Nitro

Every time the vehicle is refueled and the pump shuts off at full. Fuel erupts from the tank onto the ground, person and vehicle. This could result in a health hazard to personnel but also to the environment as well as the vehicle. Chrysler corporation is and has been aware of the problem for some time but has opted to not recall the vehicle unless forced to by the NHTSA.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Oct 012008

Nitro 6-cyl

The gas always comes gushing out when I fill up my gas tank since I've owned this vehicle. The engine light incessantly stays on and wonder if their is a correlation. I am sick of it, and am afraid that an explosion could occur. I would have filed a report with NHTSA sooner if I'd known of its existence.

- Lafayette, GA, USA

Feb 162013

Nitro

When filling the tank on the vehicle the nozzle failed to shut off in time to prevent gas from overflowing. Filled up again 2 days later at a different pump and set the nozzle for low speed and still overflowed out of the gas tank. Upon further research this is a common problems with 2007 Dodge Nitros and no recall has been issued. However, the Jeep Liberty which is the sibling vehicle had the same problem and there was a recall to fix the problem. The cause of the problem is a faulty rollover valve and requires the fuel tank to be replaced.

- Lamar, MO, USA

Feb 142013

Nitro

While filling the Nitro up when it gets full and the gas pump kicks off there is alot of fuel that comes rushing out of the filler hose and goes all over the truck, ground and myself. Have been told that Dodge is aware of the issue and has recalled this issue on Jeep but nothing yet on the Nitro. This can only be fixed by replacing the entire fuel tank. Is Dodge waiting on a lawsuit? if the vehicle rollsover and spews gas all over it would not be a good sight if it catches on fire!! please help get this problem recalled before it kills people!!!

- Kendallville, IN, USA

Dec 012012

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that when refueling, the fuel tank would spew gasoline back out from the filler neck. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised him that the vent and valve in the fuel tank failed. As a remedy, the entire fuel tank would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 109,000. The current mileage was approximately 111,000.

- Lawn, TX, USA

Jan 232013

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel sprayed out of the filler neck onto the ground. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. Updated 3/14/13 the mechanic at the dealer informed the consumer it was the same problem Jeep had with the roll over valve in the gas tank being defective and it needed to be replaced.

- Alden, NY, USA