2008 Dodge Nitro electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Nitro:

2008 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 112015

Nitro

The first time it happened I had just turned off the highway and the vehicle completely shut down but the horn was going non stop and the wipers too. I couldn't pull over because the steering was not working correctly. I eventually was able to get it to stop when my fiancÉ attempted to unhook the battery. This has happened about 4 times totally. The last time I was driving home from work at night, it was dark and the wipers went crazy and my lights went out then the vehicle just shut down, I couldn't see anything, thank god no car was passing by. At times it doesn't want to start but the wipers come on. I took it to the shop and after a few hrs they said it was the integrated power module. Very expensive that I can't fix right now. Very unsafe!

- Claypool, IN, USA

Jul 242015

Nitro

My thirteen year old daughter and I were leaving a store parking lot when I started the vehicle. After starting I attempted to turn on the air conditioning, blower motor would not work. While pulling onto the road horn started blaring, wipers fore and aft started going without being activated. Windshield wiper fluid spraying uncontrollable, again, without my activation. Pulled into a parking lot and shut of vehicle, all problems stated above persisted. Left parking lot in an attempt to get the vehicle the seven miles home. Halfway home, all problems stopped. Wipers stopped in complete vertical position, horn stopped blaring, washer fluid stopped spraying. Upon reaching home disconnected positive battery cable in an attempt to somehow "reboot" the system. After reconnecting cable, started vehicle and up to this point all seems normal, for now. In my opinion under different circumstances this could have been a very dangerous situation. I just purchased this vehicle three weeks ago and do not feel it is safe to drive if this should happen again, potentially causing injury to me, my family or the public in general.

- Mason, MI, USA

Jul 102015

Nitro

While driving home at night lights randomly go off almost causing me to wreck. Also before this the car would randomly honk, light flash, horn blow really fast and windshield washer's and fluid would go off.

- Mount Airy, NC, USA

Jun 122015

Nitro

Driving down the road, the horn started blowing steady, wipers came on, washer fluid squirted, lights went off, engine would not shut down. This continued for 10 min as I drove it home to get tools to disconnect the battery. It seems to have fried the horn as it started making funny noises then quit while others continued. I could smell burnt electrical. The keys would not shut the car off. I disconnected the positive battery cable and after about a minute everything stopped then the engine shut off. The PCM relay was very hot. Car is currently in my driveway with positive battery disconnected.

- New Auburn, WI, USA

Jul 062015

Nitro

The horn goes off in the middle of the day for hours. Once it stops the vehicle won't start and (no bus) shows up on the cluster gauge. The local Dodge dealership tells me that the tipm might have went out. From what the reviews are on this vehicle, the part and replacement of this part are very expensive and I think Chrysler/Dodge should replace and recall this part. Great vehicle just crappy manufacturing company. Won't drive a Dodge again even if they gave me one for free.

- Defuniak Springs, FL, USA

Aug 082014

Nitro

Windshield wipers start /spray-doors lock/unlock- horn blares- engine dies and wont restart-

- Newport Center, VT, USA

May 042015

Nitro

I click the unlock button on my key and the car goes crazy. Wipers go off, horn honks, windsheld wiper fluid sprays. The key isn't even in the ignition.

- Natrona Heights , PA, USA

Mar 202015

Nitro

My 2008 Dodge Nitro had a failure of the total integrated body control module around 91000 miles. It caused my wipers to turn on and stay on continously even when the vehicle was turned off. There has been recalls on this part for the year before my car was made and I'm concerned it may be a continuing problem. It cost 560 dollars to correct the error.

- Wooster, OH, USA

May 272015

Nitro

This is my third incident with a faulty tipm on my 2008 Dodge Nitro slt. Lights, horns, front and rear wipers as well as the washer fluid spraying out of control. I remove the fuse for both the left and right horns to silence them, then remove the positive battery cable to reset the tipm. It has been successful so far. Looking for a replacement unit for preventive measures.

- Sterling, VA, USA

May 142015

Nitro

I purchased my pre-owned 2008 Dodge Nitro 2 months ago. A week ago it all went haywire like my car was possessed. It also happened the following week. -- while using the key fob to lock/unlock the car the horn starts blaring, the wipers (front and rear) start going, washer fluid shooting out, doors locking and unlocking, and the lights blinking. -- doors will not lock/unlock with the remote. I have to physically lock/unlock each door with the key. -- rear passenger doors and the rear hatch won't unlock. -- when turning on the engine the horn starts blaring, the wipers (front and rear) start going, washer fluid shooting out, doors locking and unlocking, and the lights blinking for about 5 minutes. When I turned the car off it was still doing the same thing. -- if I turn on/off the windshield wipers the horn starts blaring and lights start flashing -- when pressing the actual door lock the horn starts blaring based on the research I did and other 2008 Dodge Nitro owner's the diagnosis is apparently a faulty tipm. There seems to be a national backorder on this part. I am afraid to drive my car for fear of something major happening while driving. My doors won't unlock and I am terrified to have anyone in my car. What would happen if we are in an accident the car catches on fire" I won't be able to get any one out. Dodge has recalled the 2010-2012 but has failed to recall the 2008 despite the national backorder for the part needed to fix these vehicles. I am really surprised that Dodge/Chrysler has not stood by their products and is putting the owners of these vehicles at risk. What is it going to take to issue a recall on the faulty tipm on all Dodge/Chrysler vehicles? why has Dodge/Chrysler not rectified this situation before it becomes a bigger issue like the Ford tire recall, GM ignition recall and the recent airbag recalls"

- Beach Park, IL, USA

May 082015

Nitro

All of our dash warning lights would come on and then eventually go off but the check engine light would stay on. From then on the car would fail to start on occasion. Took in to dealer three times, the first two times they said everything is fine maybe you just need a new battery. Finally on the third try when we couldn't get the vehicle started, they diagnosed that the tipm was bad. Seeing as how this is a reoccurring problem for Dodge maybe they should have started there, also the part to replace it is on indefinite back order.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 102015

Nitro

The horn will start honking, wipers start going, washer fluid sprays out. Wont turn on has error no bus

- Provo, UT, USA

Dec 122014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the key fob failed to activate whenever attempting to access the front passenger side door and both rear doors. Also, the liftgate failed to open with the key fob. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who informed that the timp and the control module needed to be replaced. In addition, whenever the brakes were engaged a loud screeching noise emitted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Melrose Park , IL, USA

Jan 222015

Nitro

I walked out to my car one morning to make a trip into town. The instant I opened the door the horn started blaring without a pause, the windshield wipers both front and rear were running on their top speed. I have absolutely no control over the car. I cant even get it out of park to have a tow truck pick it up. The gauge cluster says "no bus" and the only culprit I can think of would be the famous Dodge tipm.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jul 172014

Nitro

I have a 2008 Dodge Nitro that has a faulty tipm, as I was driving the car shut off completely. All lights came on on the dash and the passenger air bag seemed to go off in the glove compartment. Windshield wipers, all fluids, honk and lights were going on and off as if it had a mind of its own. I am now out almost $1,600 and car still does not turn on. The tipm is on national backorder due to the overwhelming demand and Chrysler has recalled this vehicle for this known issue but not my year. (2008) I have filed a complaint with carcomplaints.com already. I have called Chrysler and all they do is take my report and say they will call be if its recalled. Im at a loss. I dont know what to do anymore.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Nitro

The windshield wipers either won't come on at all or will continually move all over the windshield as you drive. The wiper malfunction is extremely worse if you have the headlights on and use the turn signal. This causes them to quickly fully extend to the very edge of the windshields drivers side. This causes extreme visibility problems. The Dodge dealership has not been able to fix the problem after several visits and multiple attempts of replacing parts including the turn signal wand and the entire wiper assembly. The mechanic said Dodge recommended replacing the tipm, which the manufacturer was aware of a huge problem with this part on Nitros. After doing some research I could not believe all the complaints with no action being taken by Chrysler or the government for my model year. Recalls were issued for older years, so why not the 2008 with the same problems? I can't safely drive my car with my vision constantly comprimised and I can't even sell it with all the horrible reviews. Now it just sits in my driveway because I am too nervous to drive it with these problems.

- Cardington, OH, USA

Jul 012012

Nitro

On several occasions, the vehicle electrical system has malfunctioned. Lights go on and off, winshield wipers come on, horn honks constantly, engine stalls, etc. The only way to get it to stop is un-hooking the battery and letting it set for a few minutes. This happened several times so we took it to the dealer to get it looked at. They told us it was a sensor in the steering column that needed to be replaced. The car was out of warranty so it cost just over $800. Since the repair, the car has shown the same problems. Most recently a few days ago.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Dec 152014

Nitro

All passenger door locks to include the back lift gate will not unlock using the remote or the door unlock on the drivers side door. Will only work for the lock position.

- Mangilao, GU, USA

Dec 172014

Nitro

Vehicle began having problems starting and I was told by leith Dodge that it was a faulty fuel pump which was replaced. Then the same issue has come up again. After reading about the problem I have discovered it is something known to Dodge at the time of my purchase which they lied to me when I asked them about said issue. I have been told this time it is a faulty tipm. In researching I found out that Dodge has known this for years.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 212014

Nitro

For the past year I have been dealing with my horn randomly honking at all times of day and night, doors locking and unlocking on their own, headlights and taillights turning on by themselves as the Nitro is parked with the engine off. On top of all this, since October 2014 my engine as been stalling when I tried to start it. I tried to start it numerous of times and it would turn on for about 3-5 seconds then shut off and recently it has gotten to the point that it doesn't want to start anymore. A diagnostic test was done and nothing could be found. Due to all these issues, which have drained the battery life, I have replaced the battery twice within the past year.

- Abilene, TX, USA