2008 Dodge Nitro electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Nitro:

2008 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 172014

Nitro

I have a 2008 Dodge Nitro that has a faulty tipm, as I was driving the car shut off completely. All lights came on on the dash and the passenger air bag seemed to go off in the glove compartment. Windshield wipers, all fluids, honk and lights were going on and off as if it had a mind of its own. I am now out almost $1,600 and car still does not turn on. The tipm is on national backorder due to the overwhelming demand and Chrysler has recalled this vehicle for this known issue but not my year. (2008) I have filed a complaint with carcomplaints.com already. I have called Chrysler and all they do is take my report and say they will call be if its recalled. Im at a loss. I dont know what to do anymore.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Nitro

The windshield wipers either won't come on at all or will continually move all over the windshield as you drive. The wiper malfunction is extremely worse if you have the headlights on and use the turn signal. This causes them to quickly fully extend to the very edge of the windshields drivers side. This causes extreme visibility problems. The Dodge dealership has not been able to fix the problem after several visits and multiple attempts of replacing parts including the turn signal wand and the entire wiper assembly. The mechanic said Dodge recommended replacing the tipm, which the manufacturer was aware of a huge problem with this part on Nitros. After doing some research I could not believe all the complaints with no action being taken by Chrysler or the government for my model year. Recalls were issued for older years, so why not the 2008 with the same problems? I can't safely drive my car with my vision constantly comprimised and I can't even sell it with all the horrible reviews. Now it just sits in my driveway because I am too nervous to drive it with these problems.

- Cardington, OH, USA

Jul 012012

Nitro

On several occasions, the vehicle electrical system has malfunctioned. Lights go on and off, winshield wipers come on, horn honks constantly, engine stalls, etc. The only way to get it to stop is un-hooking the battery and letting it set for a few minutes. This happened several times so we took it to the dealer to get it looked at. They told us it was a sensor in the steering column that needed to be replaced. The car was out of warranty so it cost just over $800. Since the repair, the car has shown the same problems. Most recently a few days ago.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Dec 152014

Nitro

All passenger door locks to include the back lift gate will not unlock using the remote or the door unlock on the drivers side door. Will only work for the lock position.

- Mangilao, GU, USA

Dec 172014

Nitro

Vehicle began having problems starting and I was told by leith Dodge that it was a faulty fuel pump which was replaced. Then the same issue has come up again. After reading about the problem I have discovered it is something known to Dodge at the time of my purchase which they lied to me when I asked them about said issue. I have been told this time it is a faulty tipm. In researching I found out that Dodge has known this for years.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 212014

Nitro

For the past year I have been dealing with my horn randomly honking at all times of day and night, doors locking and unlocking on their own, headlights and taillights turning on by themselves as the Nitro is parked with the engine off. On top of all this, since October 2014 my engine as been stalling when I tried to start it. I tried to start it numerous of times and it would turn on for about 3-5 seconds then shut off and recently it has gotten to the point that it doesn't want to start anymore. A diagnostic test was done and nothing could be found. Due to all these issues, which have drained the battery life, I have replaced the battery twice within the past year.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Nitro

At first my back hatch started saying it was open when it was not and running the battery down. Then my windshield wipers stopped working followed by my power door locks stopped working right after I put my daughter in her carseat and walked around to the drivers side to get in, the car automatically locked itself, luckily there was a key hole on the drivers side and I had to unlock it and crawl in the back to get the door unlocked to get her out, which was very hard to do concidering I had just had surgery. After I got everything unlocked nothing would lock again. The back hatch is locked permantly because there is no other way to get it open but power locks. Then my heater blower stopped working. It is the totally integrated power module that is malfunctioning and I was told eventually the signals or nothing will work and will make it very dangerous to drive. This is a major safety issue that Dodge has known about for a long time. The tipm is on national back order and they have no clue when my vehicle can get fixed!!!!! I am beyond amazed that this hasn't been resolved before now.

- Slab Fork , WV, USA

Dec 012014

Nitro

In September we had to have the tipm replaced in our 2008 Dodge Nitro. This has gone out again. The windshield wipers just run and I have not turn signals. I also cannot turn off any other lights. There is not 1 available in the country. We are on hold while Chrysler searches to see if they have one. If not, we will be waiting while they make one. This tells me there is a bigger problem that they cannot even keep these in stock. They have recalled the 2010-2012. Recall the 2008. Chrysler seems to be ok with people driving illegally while they decide to make enough of these.

- Draper, UT, USA

Nov 062014

Nitro

Headlights came on by themselves and stayed on for approximately 30 seconds each time; this happened 3 times. The keys were lying on a table undisturbed. The doors have also locked by themselves.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 112011

Nitro

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the windshield wipers powered on independently as all of the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, the contact mentioned that the horn activated, the air condition fan became inoperable and the engine stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the totally integrated power module was defective and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 272014

Nitro

I had 2 consecutive instances yesterday where, while driving, all of the notices came on on the dashboard display, my anti lock brakes locked up and then released, along with my horn and front and rear wipers engaging and not being able to be turned off. Also, once I pulled over and removed the keys, these issues continued, and the vehicle was still running despite no key being in the ignition. After waiting approximately 20 minutes, and once all of the anti theft features had stopped, I got back into my car, started it, and no more than 40 feet down the road, the vehicle repeated the earlier issue with the anti lock brakes locking up momentarily, the horn was blaring, and both the front and rear wipers started and wouldn't stop even when trying to use the wiper control to turn them off. Again, the vehicle appeared to still be running even after shutting the key off and removing it from the ignition.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Nov 012013

Nitro

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the power locks failed to activate with the key fob, causing the doors to have to be manually unlocked. In addition, the liftgate was manually opened and closed from inside the vehicle intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who diagnosed that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Oct 262014

Nitro

Electrical problems galore. I was driving with my family - and the car horn started honking, wipers went on, and it began shooting fluid all over the front window and back. I could not see to drive - I had my family in the car. Other issues - radio quit working, drivers side adjustment for passenger side rear view mirror does not work, drivers side locks do not work, air conditional compressor already replaced by me, control modular for blower speed replaced. Got in car one day - air vents were going, and nobody had turned on car. I looked on the internet and there are at least fifty examples of people having this happen while driving at high speeds. Reports of peoples car catching fire with little kids in car. Check out M.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Nitro/2008/electrical/electrical_system.shtml. I called Dodge - they stated they had reports of tipm issues reported, but they did nothing on either model. They did not seem concerned at being reported of peoples car catching fire with kids inside.

- Peoria Heights, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Nitro

My vehicle was parked in the garage and I tried to start it numerous of times and nothing happened. A diagnostic test was done and nothing could be found. I had it towed to Dodge dealership and three days later I received a phone call stating that it was my tipm. I have read a lot of complaints and I see even if replaced it may still have issues. I feel like something need to be said to the manufacture and this issue should be consider a recall so no one would have to come out of pocket for these issues because it is not the buyers fault, there is nothing that we could do to prevent this... this is not safe for anyone. I have children and if my truck would have started blaring out of control and stopping in the middle of the street I don't know what I would have done. What will it take for them to take this situation seriously. Do someone need to have a horrible accident"?" I am having to pay $1254 for an issue I had no control of. This is not fair.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. While driving approximately 65 mph, the windshield wipers, horn, and all the instrument panel indicators illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the terminal battery had to be disconnected in order for the vehicle to resume normal operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the tipm failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- West Plains, MO, USA

Sep 032013

Nitro

I have had problems with what I believe is the electrical and I am afraid of it causing a fire. I have had dash lights come on for the breaks only to have the Chrysler dealer tell me nothing is wrong. Then when the turn signal is turned on the dome light was flashing. Then 4 dash lights come on and it has something to do with the break system brought to mechanic he done an analysis said I needed a part. A week later the lights are out so I went back and this time was told as long as the lights are out there is nothing wrong. I am not a mechanic or scientist but I don't think iti takes a rocket scientist to know something is not right with the electrical. The locks lock and unlock by themselves and this zaps my battery. I have a brand new battery which is dead today. I have called Chrysler and they said I have to have another analysis done"??" this is crazy!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Aug 202014

Nitro

On August 20th, 2014, I noticed that my power door locks and front windshield washer pump had both stopped working. Looking this up online, I saw that there were numerous complaints with the tipm system for my Nitro as well as other Chrysler models. Since the repair costs were estimated at more than $1000, I decided to go without getting this repaired for the time being. Today, while heading into a local supermarket, I noticed a horn beeping, and turned around to find that it was my Nitro! the horn was going non-stop, the wipers were moving and the washer fluid was spraying out continuously. I ran to the car, embarrassed I moved it to the back of the lot, where two men helped me try and pull fuses out of the tipm unit, in an effort to get the horn to stop. We finally found the right ones, but the wiper pump had to be unplugged as it wouldn't shut off. What a coincidence that this happened to me, after reading numerous stories of the exact same thing happening to other people who own Dodge Nitro's. if Chrysler does not take responsibility for this defect, not only will I never buy from them again, I will tell everyone I can to never waste their hard earned money on a Chrysler product; that's bound to have a negative effect on their sales.

- Highland, MI, USA

Aug 242014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the head lights failed to operate. The contact mentioned that the lights would flash three times before shutting off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jun 252014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph on a downhill road, the horn and windshield wipers activated independently and the entire instrument panel illuminated intermittently. The contact merged to the side of the road and attempted to turn the vehicle off by removing the key out of the ignition, but the engine continue running. The battery cables had to be disconnected in order to turn the vehicle off. The problem recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Imperial Beach, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Nitro

Was driving no warning car over heated pulled over waited hour to cool car wouldn't start had towed motor blown no warning had problems since purchase electrical brakes etc

- West Covina, CA, USA