5.7

2011 Dodge Nitro drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Nitro:

2011 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments

Oct 192015

Nitro

My vehicle stalled out due to a failure with a defective totally integrated power module. According to the dealer making the repair wires leading to the alternator and wires leading to the PCM were fried. The wiring issue appear to be a fire hazard. My first concern is this defective part has caused me about $2,000 in repairs from replacing the battery, 2 alternators and towing. My second concern is that in both situations the car died on me in traffic one on a six lane road and another time on the highway. I also had a similar incident on the highway when the motor died with only 30K miles on it and had to be replaced by the manufacturer.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Jul 152011

Nitro 6-cyl

Engine stalls while parked or when accelerating from a full stop. It does the same while taking a curve and trying to accelerate when the curve ended. It feels like there is not enough gasoline coming from the tank and the engine starves. It does it when the engine has finished warming and all the time while driving. Vehicle has been in service for warranty because of this issue, but the problem returns as soon as 1 week after.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Mar 182014

Nitro 6-cyl

Mid Nov. 7:45am while driving I noticed a low roar like the Nitro was stuck in first gear but it wasn't, sound continued and the car was not picking up speed. I turned into a parking lot, waited then turned it back on and went to work. At 2:30 the dash thermometer said "120 degrees? I have the temperature on my phone so I know it was 80. I choose to ignore it and not take it into the dealership because I didn't want to make a big fuss and I needed my car. Wed, 3-12-14 7:50am I was driving the 2011 Dodge Nitro to take kids to school. It turned off while turning, my blinker stopped working and there were not lights-on the dash. The wheel was very stiff, I rolled to park along the curb. I put the car in park and turned the key to start the car and it started. Big safety concern so I chose to bring it in for service since. I took in into the dealership at 8:10am that same morning. Bustter torres checked in my car. He said he could not ?duplicate" the problem and could not figure out what caused the car to stop while driving.. fri 3-14-14 7:55am I was preparing to turn right, as I was approaching I had my blinker on and my car turned off as I was about to turn into the drive way. I was able to turn my wheel (the steering wheel was very stiff) and roll into the driveway. I noticed there were no lights on to indicate anything, I heard a click when the car turned off. I then turned the key to start the car and the car started fine. Car sat at dealer for 4 days without service because employee messed up and did not create a new work order. Not apologetic, made excuses when confronted. Had wrong mileage, employee just guessed. We had to argue to get them to check actual mileage. Horrible customer service all around, no respect for us as customers. Car still not repaired, car is a lemon.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Nitro

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Nitro. While driving 20 mph, the seat belt warning lamp illuminated despite all the passengers being secured in the seat belts. The wiper blades then independently powered on as all of the warning lights on the instrument panel simultaneously illuminated. The engine seized and the contact was unable to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for and was diagnosed as a ground wall wire being loose. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 26000.

- Fort Rucker , AL, USA

Jun 302011

Nitro 6-cyl

We purchased our Dodge Nitro 6/11/2011, noticed shifting problems right away but was tolded by dealer is was just stiff from being new. As time goes on the warmer the transmission gets the shifting between gears gets worse, mostly on cruise control. Some times with or without cruise on, it down shifts and sounds like the bottom is falling out from under the car. Took back to dealer 4 times on the problem, and was told by transmission spec. Tech. At dealers that Chrysler put a 4 liter transmission in a 6 liter car, and there was nothing they could do about that. And was told that it may or maynot get worse as time as by. I now have 7400 miles on the car and its geting worse and no one seems to care. No wonder Chrysler needed a bailout... to me the car is great except the transmission !!!!!

- Augusta, ME, USA

Dec 152011

Nitro

Transmission will not go into gear, press on the gas and nothing happens, then there is a loud bang and vehicles starts to move slowly. Engine revs and then the transmission tries to shift up and down. Vehicles bucks and no acceleration. Unsafe. Taken to dealer three times unable to replicate problem. They adjusted the computer only a temporary fix. Back in the shop at this time.

- Clifton Heights, PA, USA