4.0

2011 Dodge Nitro fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Nitro:

2011 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments

Sep 262016

Nitro

Takata recall, the air bag light turned and still on and off and made a whistle. I changed the gas cap 2 times and persist to turn on an advise on panel in the dash.

- Mayaguez, PR, USA

Oct 042016

Nitro

Fuel overflows when filling up. This happens at every pump, so obviously is a problem with the shut-off in the vehicle's gas tank. I have read multiple posts online from people with the same problem in their Dodge Nitros. Vehicle is obviously stationary when filling up.

- Abbottstown, PA, USA

Mar 262016

Nitro

My vehicle intermittently will shut off or deny power to the fuel pump, it also will intermittently flash warning signs, and turn the wipers on indefinitely. The issues have all been traced back to the power module and more specifically nonservicable relays. I've contacted the dealership and Chrysler and neither have an eta on the part should I order one. Mostly it happens while stationary but it caused the vehicle to stall on the highway twice. It stated doing this in fall of 2015 but I couldn't properly diagnosis it until March due to it being intermittent.

- Akron, OH, USA

Oct 082013

Nitro

I bought my 2011 Nitro brand new...list of problems: Drivers side seat belt keeps hanging up as well as the drivers seat have hard time adjusting.... A/C stop blowing some type of controll valve was replaced..$345...evap leak $100 to diagnose recommended factory gas cap 6 caps later $140.. engine light still on replaced purge valve...$300.....replaced egr valve and vacuum hose...$475 when getting gas it just starts spewing out when close to filling up...when driving accelerator gets stuck and engine revs really high until I push it again....I thought it was dirty on the fenders realized it was small paint chips.... engine light started coming on about a 1 1/2 after buying it but it would always go out I use premium gas and the engine light would still come on about every 3 months.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Nov 202014

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

After pumping fuel into my Nitro about 1\2 -1 gallon of gas comes spraying out of the filler pipe. This is most likely caused by a valve in the gas tank that is there to prevent an explosion in the event of a rollover accident. The valve is defective, and thus the gas spills out, and my car could possibly explode in a rollover accident.

- Grand Portage , MN, USA

Jan 272015

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

2011 Dodge Nitro gasoline fill spout and fuel tank is affected part. Every time I fill up the vehicle with gasoline it spews out of the gas tank all over me and the side of the SUV. I've contacted Dodge and they say there is no recall. I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they claimed to have fixed the issue and yet it persists. This is dangerous and hazardous to my health. There needs to be a recall fixing this issue.

- Lisbon, ME, USA

Jan 272014

Nitro

When filling up at any fuel station, the gas pump will not automatically shut off and raw fuel will spill down the side of the vehicle and all over the ground. I have read on several forums that this is a problem on many Chrysler SUV's including the Jeep Liberty. It relates to a faulty valve inside the gas tank to prevent fuel from spilling out in a rollover situation. The amount of fuel spilled at every fill up is roughly 1/4 to 1/2 gallon. If standing next to the filler opening there is a good possibility that gas will spill on the person filling up, again creating a very dangerous situation.

- Belton, MO, USA

Dec 012012

Nitro

Fuel overflows when filling truck with fuel.

- Selden, NY, USA