7.6

$1,700.00

1. replace transmission (4 reports)
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500:

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Aug 162000

Ram 1500 ES V8

Number 4 for transmissions in this truck. This transmission went out 11 miles from dealership in Grand Forks, ND. I just had the transmission replaced drove half the home and the check engine light came on and NO overdrive again. I can tell you that I was furies at this point. I call the main office in Michigan and complained. They sent a main Dodge inspector down to look at three Rams in my area having the same problems. We took the Ram to Fargo ND to a different Dodge dealer. They spent about 5 days review the problems with my truck replace a computer chip and put in another transmission. A year later the transmission went out again so I trade the truck off for a different brand. I would never would of kept this truck if I didn't have the extended warranty.

Mar 151999

Ram 1500 ES V8

First transmission that went bad out of 5. The transmission started to slip and the overdrive would go off. Really bad gas mileage then.

Jun 152000

Ram 1500 ES V8

Number two for the transmission replacement category. Same as the first time. No overdrive and check engine light would come on.

Nov 132001

Ram 1500 Laramie

I don't get it. I trusted Dodge with my money and bought the truck. I can't recall seeing a Dodge this model in which the paint is not peeling and the dashboard is not shattered. This a factory defect and dodge should do something about it, regardless of age. My truck has never been abused and in 230000 miles, there is not one single dent. This should be testimony enough for Dodge products and how much they care about you and me. 2 engines, two transmissions, 2nd rear end is now going out, replaced the cupholder twice. Although rarely used, most of 4 wheel drive system has been replaced. Built in Mexico, what should one expect. I see a lot of vehicles older than mine and this crap isn't happening to them.

- , Haskell, TX, USA

Jan 212007

Ram 1500 5.9 V8

This is the best truck on the road! It has never been any real problem and I drive it like a bat out of hell with no issues. It is a ranch truck and pulls horses, goes in the desert and is not 4 wheel drive.. It is the greatest truck I could ever ask for! It had a new engine at 285,000 miles because I lent it to someone who overheated the engine while stuck in the snow.. otherwise the engine would still be going strong it never leaked oil or anything! . Now the transmission is gone but it has 3 times the miles of most trucks and has been nothing but a great truck! I intend to drive it to 1 million miles... I love this Dodge and would not trade for anything! :) PAM

- , Elfrida, AZ, USA