6.0

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500:

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Sep 192015

Ram 1500 5.2L

click to see larger images

wheel hub bearing failure

I have a 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, I have 33" tires on it and it rarely sees any type of off road activities! Ok, it's a pavement pounder on the super slab on I5 here in Washington. The problem I have is every 1 to 2 years I'm replacing my front axle wheel bearing assembly! The only way I know when replacing it it is either my brakes pulsate from braking or weird noises. I don't understand why the over paid engineers that designed this wheel bearing carrier even thought of this! This puts people's lives at stake! Having 1 bearing hooked to the wheel is DANGEROUS, and very risky!

Good news I found an after market kit that allows for me to have a solid spindle and a inner bearing and an outer bearing, not to mention I have manual locking hubs which should improve on the wear and tear on the drive train! I now understand that the car manufactures build their vehicles cheaply without the regard of people's lives, look at GM! Me personally I wound rather repack wheel bearing grease instead of replacing a over expensive under engineered wheel hub assembly.

- , Auburn, WA, USA