4.0

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Ram 1500:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Aug 122015

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

This situation has occurred several times in the last 3 or 4 years. I have noticed hearing a louder "hissing" noise prior to the engine "chugging" or stalling out. If it stalls, I generally have to find a place to pull over, cycle the key switch and considering myself lucky, have been able to start engine again.

I have been told it could be the shut-off relay when the coolant is low(water pump is seeping), the crankshaft position sensor (haven't replaced it yet...did it once and still have the scars to prove it). I don't know if it could be related to the AIC on the throttle body(hence the hissing noise).

I am just curious as to whether anyone has had these symptoms and if so, what the remedy was. I don't appreciate the stalling, jerking and annoyance this problem is giving me but until it won't start back up and has to be towed.......it's not something I'm freaking about.

- , Loves Park, IL, USA