8.5

$2,138.00

1. rebuild transmission (18 reports)
  2. replace entire transmission (5 reports)
  4. sold the bleepin thing (1 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 082008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Here we go about my 2001 Dodge Laramie SLT 1500 4x4 !

Well I was on my way home about Mid way of town, when all of a sudden I heard a noise. started out like a power steering pump squalling and it kept getting Louder, and I knew that was no power steering pump, but coming from my transmission. got about half way up ,a hill and it stop pulling. I had just pulled enough ahead of a intersection so I coast backward on to the that street, and called a wrecker. Got it home wondering what and how we were going to handle this. Took it to reputable transmission shop where we had one worked on before, and they rebuilt the transmission and updated it. Updating got us a better warranty with more miles. Well I got to work some how then in a day are so they call me that the truck was done. Then we started having problems. It gave a solenoid value in the transmission, it coded several times. Had the transmission place to come and get it. They repaired it again. Still had problems. So they put a second transmission in it that was an older model. Could tell by the way it sifted and acted. I think they hot wired the transmission. When I hit the brake the torque converter would unlock but when let off brake pedal never felt it come back in. Hit the brake pedal again and I felt the torque convertor unlock. It had to go back into a lock position but you did not feel it lock. This is where I have the underlying draining the battery. I went after the truck we had to jump the truck at the transmission place. They said they did not do anything to cause that. But I suspect they hot wired the transmission somehow that is draining the battery. We have replaced the this year alternator and the battery last year and this is still happening. Sometimes it sits a week sometimes 2 weeks but it will eventually not start. This is when the buss bar showed up on the other report. WE think that the engine line in is the source of the problem of the alternator. Now I cannot tighten it. I was on this site to look for a schematic to taken it apart.

- , Advance, Missouri, USA

Sep 272004

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

Thought i loved dodge vehicles, now i realize how much they f*cking suck!!!! F*CK YOU CHRYSLER!!!!

- , Lisbon, Connecticut, USA

Dec 212009

Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.2L V8

Typical Dodge truck transmission failure ... spent a bit more to get an extended warranty and a cooler installed when rebuilding the transmission.

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Dec 282010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Everyone I know who owns a Dodge Ram pickup has had to have the transmission fixed at an out of pocket expense. When I contacted the transmission shop, they knew what the problem once I told them the make of truck. They said they do about one dodge ram rebuild a week. With this amount of rebuilding going on something should be done to offset the cost of repair.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jul 102005

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.2L

OK, so I am loving my dodge truck, driving it and maintaining it to the tenth degree, thinking it'll last and last.............oh,no!! I don't plow, don't tow, dont go off road, never modified except air intake and stereo................trans just decides to grenade on off ram of freeway, at night of course , in the rain.......... limp it home five miles .............in overdrive........nice redddish trail of blood most of the way home.not under warranty , so I purchase a brand new trans and converter form dealership(a-holes in west allis Wisconsin , now out of business, gee i wonder why) installed, had rad flushed and cleaned. and per my friend who is a dodge tech, i now start to change the fluid every twelve thousand religiously......and.......AND REMOVE THE IN LINE TRANSCOOLER CHECK VALVE, IT PLUGS UP AND DOESN'T ALLOW FLUID TO FLOW...................oh, did I mention the lack of any warranty on a brand new trans from dodge according to the dealer(hub chrysler) Any how, drive it , another 68,000, this one grenades, again no racing, towing plowing etc, and all highway miles, (this truck has 388,000 miles on it and it still has factory shocks , and whole exhaust, it is never cold......always freeway driven) I contact dodge, , sorry no warranty, &uck dodge!!! I bought a new "reman " from JASER ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION, they sell me a rebuilt trans, and converter, oil cooler and in line oil filter. 2800 .00 I BELIEVE...........I installed dit in a few hours, getting good at it now, and do all the steps. This trans is still in this truck, gone through over 220,000 miles with no issues, nice red fluid every 15,000 miles I change the fluid, filter and in line filter, every fluid change the aftermarket trans cooler is flushed by a shop for me. I shifts nice and firm, no slip, trans fluid is not baked, no worries , no weirdness in sounds, the way those morns shouldn't made it in the first place............so on we go. Besides the rear differential grenading shortly after the trans........that was 1800 used..........i think due to the large "THWOMP" THAT THE TRANS PUT ON THE WHOLE DRIVE LINE WHEN IT DECIDED TO QUIT WORKING..........So besides the third trans, second rear end, uhm three....dealer bought heater blower motors, on eactually started on fire due to the resistor going bad and over heating the wires.........oh that was fun, let it idle in drive on a snowy morning before work to come out to a smoke(acrid burning plastic) filled cab and wires melting into my heater box and carpet. again my dealer ship tech buddy says........."yeah , we had two come in with the interiors gutted..............uh huh? so ......now we have a little low amp fuse to blow before the wires melt.............any one say duh!!!! LAST.........I GO THROUGH A SET OF FRONT AXLE U JOINTS.......THE ONES THAT ARE IN THE FRONT AXLE TO THE FRONT HUBS........I go through one set a year........., now mind you , ths truck is greased every oil change , which is ever 2500 , to 300 miles..again religiously.............. I can change out front ujoints in about two hours if its not sub zero and chilly in my shop. All this said, I love my truck , I like the way it looks and feels good when it goes down the road............ It has the last of the great 318 motors........it just has som eserious defects that dodge shoulda fixed..........and believe me I tell everyone about this thing.........What is really crazy is , I have a streetrod. I built it from the ground up, It is not a r ace car but a driver......302 5.0 ford ful injected with aod overdrive trans..........basically a lincoln , or mercury town car motor and trans..........i beat the living hell out of this junkyard drive line...........it was cleaned, and re sealed and painted, but besides an oil pump and timing chain/waterpump..........it is all 165,000 mile factory ford and just keeps on going.............whats wrong here...........this car is no where near babied as my dodge!!!!! VERY FRUSTRATING...............AND THEY DO NOT GIVE A SHT ABOUT US!!! DONT BUY DODGE......CHECK OUT DODGESUCKS.COM

- , Watertown, WI, USA

Apr 302008

Ram 1500 5.9L

The transmission problem was annoying and expensive.

- , Calhoun, LA, USA

Mar 112008

Ram 1500 sport 360

2 transmissions got it fix the correct way put a racing transmission in

- , Girardville, pa, USA

Jun 152001

Ram 1500 V8

The Transmission just died. I took it to the dealer under the extended warranty. They said they were allowed to rebuild it. They did and it worked but immediately started to make a grinding noise. It was intermittent and they claimed not to hear it. It continued and I brought it back three times. Every time they said they could find nothing wrong. After it turned 100,000 miles they said it was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do. The noise has gotten worse over the years to the point where I have to either hit the gas hard or slow down to make it go away. It also jumps just a little bit when I stop at stop lights now. Basically they screwed me on the extended warranty and the follow-up. They do NOT stand behind their product. I will NOT buy a Dodge again. I recommend that anyone contemplating a Dodge PU look very hard at their decision. I am not the only one who has had transmission/warranty issues with them.

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Apr 102008

Ram 1500 Quad 1500 5.9L

Transmission replaced for the third time. This time I had to pay $1000 in addition to warranty coverage. Have to think awful hard about buying another Ram.

- , Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Sep 202007

Ram 1500 Quad 1500 5.9L

Replaced transmission lasted just about one year. Died again.

- , Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Apr 052007

Ram 1500 5.9L

Do your homework before you buy. The repair tech at the Dodge Dealer told me that this is a common problem. (Nice)

- , Traverse City, MI, USA

Nov 152006

Ram 1500 Quadcab 5.2L

Like everybody else right after the warranty runs out Transmission total failure...so

paid for the rebuild and two weeks after the one year warranty on that runs out the noise

and shift problems start...still driving it now but soon it will die....this is ridiculous my

79 Chevy still has the original tranny...I always wanted the Dodge...love the look...but

I should have known better.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jun 302004

Ram 1500 1500LT 5.2L

I own 2001 dodge ram 1500lt had too rebuild tranny around 75000 miles it seems like they engineer them to start breaking down so they cost u money. I am a tow truck driver i tow alot of them because of that problem

- , Highlandville, MO, USA

Dec 192008

Ram 1500 5.3L

got tired of the lemon sold it buying a ford tomorrow. Will never buy a dodge again they are junk. owned fords in the past always good vehicles.

- , North Battleford, saskatchewan, Canada

Mar 232005

Ram 1500 5.3L

it was taken care of under warranty with a little bit of griping since warranty ran out 2 weeks before but the transmission went out again at 165000 and the diff went out at 155000 km none of this under warranty of course

- , North Battleford, saskatchewan, Canada

Aug 222008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8 360

i guess it was inevitable with the crappy ass transmissions they put in these things, but it still pisses me off that it died on the highway where the speed limit is 60 with heavy traffic and i got first gear up to 30 with out red lining it

- , Grasonville, MD, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L

Transmission was flushed about 30 days before it failed.....transmission never worked extremely hard....tows occasionally, but within it's capacity....no plowing, light cargo

- , Bourne, MA, USA

Dec 222007

Ram 1500 1500 Quad Cab 5.9L V8

Ok this one really pissed me off. I have 108000 miles on this truck and the transmission completely sucks. It won't shift out of first gear. There were metal shavings in the oil pan too. Rebuilt transmissions run about 1200 dollars and a new one is 4500 dollars. I'm 16 years old and I don't have a job how am I supposed to get this fixed. Dodge SUCKS and they need to stand by their products.

- , Paxton, IL, USA

Jan 022008

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9L V8

PISS ON DODGE YOU CANT AFFORD EM! SPOKEN FROM A FORMER DODGE LOVER!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ALWAYS TALKED CRAP ABOUT CHEVY BUT IM GONNA BUY ONE ,OR A FORD OR A BICYCLE LEAST IT WOULD BE MORE RELIABLE!

- , Lake Worth, TX, USA

Feb 252008

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.9L V8

To put this calmly and peacefully as possible. Dodge Rams F*&$ing suck. I have recently purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Test drove it and everything seemed great. Real eye candy really. Very nice (looking) truck.Well about 800 miles later started hearing a god awful rattle from the transfer case. Then just like that it locked up. Still drivable I took it to the shop. Well before I got there the transmission decides to kick the bucket as well. Lost all gears but 1st. So the mechanic looked it over and decided both the trans a transfer case were gone. Both had substantially large pieces of metal in the pans. So as calmly and warranty starved as could be forked over a $2500 check. Received a warranty on trans so was happy that I would be covered in that aspect. Well today i finally picked it up and drove it home. Went down the highway great. Was thrilled at the fresh responsive trans and lack of noise that once surrounded me. While exiting the highway, I began to accelerate off the ramp and 2nd gears slips completely out and then violently jerks back into gear. Thinking that maybe it was fresh and everything needed to be broken in a little I shrugged it off. Well the next stop light same thing. So I got concerned. While traveling roughly 45mph I heard a whistle/ whopping noise from the trans. Within 3 seconds BAM!!!! My rear wheels completely lock. Panicked I hit the brakes and they release. Grinding and crunching is all I hear and trans pops out of gear. Surprised and shocked I slowly put it back into gear and everything seemed to be working besides the noise. Well about 1 minute from home BAM!!!! Real wheels lock and I loose all gears . Then they release. Then it got stuck in Overdrive and I had no power to get down the road. Suddenly something finally popped and released the gear and i was able to make it home.. I got out to the smell of burning trans fluid. I look underneath and fluid it dripping from the belt housing. This was after 30 miles on a Rebuilt Transmission. So tomorrow Im getting towed back to the shop for more than likely a new transmission. Im covered under warranty But Ive been without a truck for 2 weeks and now the wait begins again. My advice for all is not to get a Ram unless its a 5 speed. The Autos have serious problems and Im not the only one as you can see. I would rate the truck a overall D-. I love the exterior and interior. But its all eye candy. Good Luck to All.

- , Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA