2. replace the in-tank fuel pump (2 reports)
  3. connect coil wires correctly (1 reports)
  4. new fuel pump (1 reports)
  5. replace wiring harness (1 reports)
  6. replaced tps (1 reports)
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 272015

Ram 1500 LST 4.8lV8

Had a tune-up done to truck as I have only had a couple of months and computer was giving a code for the fourth plug miss firing. Took home ran great. The next day was making a left turn and truck died. Kept stalling at stops, at idle, and driving down the road. No engine light and computer not giving a code. Replaced PCM per answer guy I paid online for. Computer gave code for fuel pump so I replaced. Then gave code for crankshaft positioning sensor and code for camshaft positioning sensor so I replaced them. Then gave code for idle air controller so naturally I replaced well not me my friend the mechanic. After all this still having same issues.

Took him a while to figure it out but the wiring harness that is under the fuse box was corroded and loose. Could have been the problem from the start. Computer wasn't giving code for this just something he thought to check on his own. So before you spend a lot of money on parts you DON'T need try asking your dealer or mechanic to check the Wiring Harness under the FUSE BOX. Hopefully this helps anyone with the same problem. Happy motoring

- , Westfield, MA, USA

Aug 102015

Ram 1500 5.7L

Too bad the customer had multiple shops, dealers, other work on and not fix it. He even had the engine replaced with a new one.

- , Duluth, USA

Aug 082015

Ram 1500 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Truck died and took a few minutes before it would crank. Check engine light came on and code was for cam shaft sensor. Replaced censor and I thought it solved problem. Now when I crank truck it idles real rough and dies when ever I am stopping. Check engine light is not on. Have read several complaints with people with same problem and don't know where to start. Is it the TPS, EGR valve, oxygen sensor. Help.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8. I have been having this problem with my truck for a couple of months now. I will start the truck up no problem but when I come to that first stop it begins. The rpms will bottom out but until this past week it would continue running, but now it will die. Sometimes, if the truck doesn't die, after the rpms bottom out, they will all of a sudden surge and accelerate me unexpectedly. This is most dangerous when pulling out into traffic.

I thought it may be dirty fuel, dirty injectors, spark issues, so . Right now notable symptoms include the check engine light reading of down-flow O2 sensor, the bogging, the surging, and no cruise control, and the occasional engine cutting off. I have changed the throttle control sensor, O2 sensors, checked the gaping on the spark plugs, and used fuel and fuel injector cleaners. The mechanics at the shop I have been using say they have been unable to replicate the issues and they can find nothing wrong. Definitely a priority to get this fixed.

Update from Mar 7, 2015: I decided after a week of the local Chrysler dealership having the vehicle for maintenance, to cut my losses now that I am $1000 poorer and no closer to an answer. The guy I sold it to agreed to contact me once he fixed it because he claimed to have an idea of the problem/solution. 3 days later he called me and said the issue was fixed and that the fuel pump was the culprit. I returned to one of my memechanics and asked how much it would have cost to change and he said close to $800. That was if they ever found the problem in the first place. I am glad I got out of it when I did but now I am smarter should it happen again in the future.

- , Ft Riley, KS, USA

Feb 242012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I began having problems with my engine stalling during idle/low speed approximately six months ago. The problem went away on its own and has now reappeared. The check engine light works but does not come on. When starting the vehicle it begins to idle rough and the RPM gauge is all over the place and the engine stalls. It always starts right up, but this issue concerns me as well. I know Chrysler has got to be aware of the problem and I also feel that they are not wanting to give a recall on this engine problem and the defective dashboards in the Dodge Ram trucks. Unless they do something to remedy these situations to the people who have already spent their hard earned money on their products... I will never buy another Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep product again.. looks are not everything...only vanity. I'll be looking for GMC or Chevy soon. Left feeling used and abused after calling the dealership to no avail.

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Less than a year after buying my truck it began to stall and then completely shut off at stop lights. I tried taking it to the dealership but they claimed it wasn't covered because it was due to lack of regular maintenance. I had driven it less than seven thousand miles since pulling off their lot. Thankfully we found a guy to take off the throttle body and clean it for $25. Since then it has not gotten to the point of cutting off. But every couple of months there will be a day, especially if I am low on gas and/or stopping on a hill, that it will start to stall and shudder. The chemicals you can buy at Walmart to clean the fuel system help but they only put it off for a little while. This is not something I expected to hit around 50k miles.

- , Forest, VA, USA

Oct 312012

Ram 1500 5.7L

The lightning bolt started flashing once a week, then became more frequent, once a day. I have to pull over, shut the engine off and restart to reset the sensor. If I don't pull over and restart the engine, the truck loses power and hesitates. Has something to do with the throttle position sensor. Seems like there are a lot of complaints on this.

- , Pottsville, PA, USA

Jul 272012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have an 03 dodge ram with 76,000 miles that has been a nightmare. Most recently, when accelerating, the truck loses power for about 30 seconds, almost like it died, then kicks back in and runs fine. Changed the TPS, no luck. Put seafoam in tank for water in the gas, no luck. This is a dangerous situation when pulling out into traffic and not having any acceleration when you are half way out in the road. Definately a safety hazard that needs to be recalled!!

- , Carroll, IA, USA

Feb 092012

- , Bremerton, WA, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500 4.7L

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7, last summer while driving on a 350 mile trip, the rpms started surging up & down, I stop to get fuel & it would not start back up. The dealer changed the cam sensor & the evac valve & it didn't fix the problem. I've taken it back 4 times & they say everything is ok, no engine codes. Now its stalling & surging more & more. Can someone please tell me whats the problem. Because Dodge has no idea.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500

Was slowing down on a curve and the truck just died.I had to put in park,turn key off and restart. I was on a downhill blind curve. It had no lights on,all gauges had great readings,before this happened. What is up with this?

- , Davy, WV, USA

Jun 022011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Stalls out at red light & stop signs. Put it in neutral and it starts right back up. Someone please help me.

- , Leland, MS, USA

Mar 072011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My truck has done this many times. It will begin to chug then die. No engine codes are shown and it starts right back up. The first time it stalled I was slowing down from 80km/h and turning onto the highway. Every time you start the truck from cold it has an erratic idle, and is chugging until warmed up.

- , Toronto, Ontario, canada

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

when your decelerating the truck just shuts off. Changed plugs,pvc valve.air filter and checked the gas cap. There are no codes in and out of the shop still can't find the problem. I call dodge and as a dodge owner since 84 no response. Thank you dodge back to the shop I go.

- , Homestead, FL, USA

Aug 112010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7L V8. This year 2010, at approximately 85,000 miles, the engine started dying at random, usually when decelerating, the rpm's also surge up and down several hundred rpm. I first took it in for a tune-up which didn't solve the problem. Took it back, they changed the air control valve, did not cure the problem. Have taken it to the dealer several times, left the truck with them for 2-3 weeks, they witness the problem but their (excuse) computer doesn't get a read on the problem. The dealer says they contacted Chysler about the problem but I still have the problem. Is bad when the dealer you purchase a vehicle from cannot repair a life threatening problem! Cannot believe there hasn't been a recall? This was the first & the last Dodge I will purchase!

- , Port Lavaca, TX, USA

Oct 172010

Ram 1500 4.7L

Yesterday, while pulling a 25' camper on the interstate doing 58mph had to accelerate up a little because 65mph road, trans shifted fine on acceleration to 60 and within seconds engine light came on and truck STALLED. Pulled off to shoulder and placed in park, gave a couple seconds and truck started right up, but then just shut off again. Wouldn't start for 30 minutes. Then started with no problem but engine light is still on; shifted fine and acceleration no problem; drove over 130 miles home with no more stalls. Today, drove 12 mile with engine light on but no stalls. Went to return home but won't start. Waited 30 minutes and truck started right up and drove home with no stalling. Engine light is still on. This is a SERIOUS problem having NO WARNING that vehicle can stall while traveling at a HIGH RATE of speed. No hesitation problems, no acceleration problems, no shifting issues, just BAMM, engine stalls, just like that. DODGE needs to rectify this issue before someone gets killed.

- , Georgetown, DE, USA

Jul 042010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Seen this on many post. The car would stumble or stall within 20 seconds after starting or restaarting after a short time. The fix I found was to replace the in-tank fuel pump! (mine was new and only a few months old!) Apparently there is a check valve built into the fuel pump. If the check valve is bad, the fuel will drain back into the fuel tank. When you start the truck, the pump will pressureize the fuel in the line, but the line will contain a pressurize void in the fuel line. No code will be set however, when the void hits the fuel rail, the engine will stumble or stall for a few seconds and then surge when the void is injected into the engine. Not good if trying to jump out in traffic. Yes, you can set still and let the engine idle for a few minutes and most the time the problem will not occur, but who has that much time to get to work! Glad to have figured out the solution and thought I would share it with everyone!

- , Barling, AR, USA

May 272010

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L

We have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. The problem started last summer with multiple trips to the garage and no resolution. It seemed to clear over the winter months, but here we are in May and the problems are back.

The vehicle trys to shut off or does shut off when the vehicle is idle at a stop. Of course this in never able to be duplicated on the diagnostic equipment at the garage. We replaced the cam sensor, crank sensor, throttle body sensor, o2 sensor. Of course the check engine comes on. Hundreds of dollars later,no resolution. Can anybody help.

- , Lebanon, PA, Lebanon

Jan 102010

Ram 1500

Wow, slightly reassuring to see I am not the only one having this damned problem. My truck started doing the "Check Engine" Light and the "Flashing Red Lightning Bolt of Doom" at right around 36k miles. I have had it checked a few times, but they never can seem to either duplicate the problem or fix it. I have been told that it may be linked to air flow.....but I have followed all the advice given to resolve this...and I am still having the problem. It has recently...I'd say around 90k miles....started doing the "Shutter and Die" thing. Usually this happens when I am just taking off or sometimes randomly when I have just come to a stop at a sign or light. Anyone knowing what it takes to fix this problem....and an estimated cost....your advice would be greatly appreciated. I love my truck....but am getting REALLY tired of this crap.

- , Haskell, AR, USA

Sep 222009

Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L

I'm having a problem with my truck stalling and check engine light comes on and the red lightning bolt shows up. If anyone knows what the fix is let me know.

- , Martietta, GA, USA