2003 Dodge Ram 1500 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 19 of 19)

May 232014

Ram 1500 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the contact crashed into a retail sign while having a seizure. The air bags did not deploy and the contact lost awareness. The passenger also sustained minor injuries. Both the driver and passenger required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and a police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 46,000. Updated 8/28/14 updated 09/15/2014

- Callahan, FL, USA

Jul 262013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Ok, so I recently buy this one owner Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. 2003, 90,000. In pristine condition. I mean primo. I get in the pickup, and am pulling out of my driveway and hear what was a loud craking sound, like breaking plastic. I didn't think much of it, thinking I ran over a can or something. Later in the day, I notice my dash board. Oh my god. It has this large crack in it. Right above the glove box from the glove box to the window. I then notice another crack right above the passanger door vent (dash) that is working it's way up toward the window. I do some more inspection and see yet another crack near the defrost vent and a small part of the vent missing. I figured that out today when I piece of plastic blew in my face and hit me in the eye when I turned the ac on. I thought, well, maybe I was duked. Maybe it was in an accident. I check it all out with carfax. Nothing. Clean title. Well maintained one owner. Wtf. I call my local dealer. 'well, we are aware of the issue, we have heard about these things happening, but your truck is out of warranty". what" this is not a warranty issue. It's a defect. After hours of research, I see this is a huge problem with these trucks. The dealer said it's about a $2800 fix?? what?" so now I am stuck. I am going to persue this matter for as long as it takes. This is not "sun damage" I know what sun damage is. This is a defect. I have been driving cars/trucks for 30 years, never ever seen a dashboard do this. Ever. Please keep the complaints coming. Tomorrow I am doing battle with Dodge at 800-992-1997. I am one pissed customer. Who was a loyal Dodge fan....not any longer.

- Wyanet, IL, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Dashboard and dash panels are spontaneously cracking. Pieces of vinyl are falling apart possibly affecting the proper function of air bags. Hot engine air is leaking inside the vehicle through the cracked board affecting the proper cooling A/C system; driver and passengers are breathing engine fumes that are entering the cabin through the openings/cracks.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA

Apr 292013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the contact crashed into a row of trees. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a concussion to chest. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was not inspected at a dealer or repair shop for the cause of failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 259,000....updated 07-10-13

- Azle, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Dashboard has developed cracks in multiple locations above the passenger airbag. Cracks continue to increase in size and severity. Electrical components of passenger air bag compartment are exposed to dust and dirt. I am also concerned about fragmentation of the brittle dashboard in the case of a crash and or airbag deployment.

- Libertyville, IL, USA

Feb 072013

Ram 1500

The 2003 Dodge Ram was struck on the front right side near the front tire by another vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed. The Ram was spun around and struck the other vehicle again on the back right side on the truck bed. The airbags in the Ram did not deploy causing serious injuries to both the driver and the passenger. The truck had been struck so hard that the axle and tire were broken completely off of the vehicle, but the airbags did not deploy. The airbags had never been deployed before and her vehicle had never been in a crash before.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Jun 012006

Ram 1500

Dash board cracked which has caused very sharp edges and exposes the airbag.

- Petersburg, WV, USA

Mar 212012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was driving 55 mph when he crashed into a semi-automatic truck. None of the air bags deployed and the contact sustained chest injuries as a result of impacting the steering wheel. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an auto body shop. The police were contacted and a report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Dinuba, CA, USA

Mar 232011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owned a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph when another vehicle ran a stop sign, which caused the consumer to T-bone the other vehicle. The contact stated the air bags did not deploy and he sustained injuries to the back, but was not transported to the hospital. A police report was filed and the vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileage was 160,000. Updated 05/24/11 updated 06/06/11

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 242009

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving between 45-50 mph another vehicle crashed into the passenger side of her vehicle. None of the air bags deployed, nor did the seat belt system secure the occupants. She received moderate injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a collision center. The failure and current mileages were unknown.

- Easley , SC, USA

Jun 232009

Ram 1500

Dash is cracking and apparently this is a common problem, the underneath support is plastic also and known to fail and collapse, I am concerned if my airbag deployed there would be shards of glass sent into the passengers eyes or worse it would be cut by the sharp plastic pieces and not deploy in an accident at all, this vehicle is garaged and a dash protector used and this issue is all over the internet, I feel Dodge should issue a recall on these faulty plastic dashes.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

May 162007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

1. unintended (sudden) acceleration; 2 feet on the brakes* brakes worked, have pictures-1/2 inches into pavement. Filed report with police. 2. air bag did not deploy- hit hydro pole, 55 km/hr, speed limit is 60 km/hr.

- Lasalle, 00, USA

May 212005

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Two vehicle crash, while going 30 mph consumer's vehicle hit the side of a truck with front end. No air bags deployed. The truck as a problem was totaled, and did not know why the air bags did not deploy. No recall notice was sent to consumer.

- Benton, AR, USA

Jun 042004

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 72 mph with out any warning, the consumer heard a little noise coming from the front and suddenly lost the control of the vehicle, as a result the vehicle rolled over twice. The vehicle landed upside down and the airbag did not deploy. The driver sustained minor neck and back injuries. The all family was transported by ambulance to the nearest hospital. The police report indicated the axle separated from the wheel.

- Elko, NV, USA

Aug 172003

Ram 1500

While driving at 40 mph vehicle was involved in a head on collision and air bags did not deploy.

- Greer, SC, USA