2003 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 152009

Ram 1500

My 2003 Dodge Ram has rack and pinion problems (leaks and stiffness). I have been advised the truck will be undriveable if the rack and pinion system experiences a major fluid leakage, which seems to be common for these vehicles. The design of this system is a safety hazard and should be repaired by the manufacturer. A major accident is on the horizon for this poor design. Let's be proactive on this one. They still have bailout money.

- Ellenwood , GA, USA

Apr 182009

Ram 1500

I was driving my truck when I heard a squeaking sound coming from the right front of the truck. The next day I brought it to the dealer and had it looked at. They told me the squeak was from the rack and pinion and the boots were also leaking fluid.I told them that I just had the rack and pinion fixed at 53,314 miles and now at 69,766 miles. The dealer said they would look into it and they came up with no recalls or complaints. I am not happy. I had the dealer fix the rack and pinion both times. Out of pocket cost $855.77 and now $978.32.

- Columbia Heights, MN, USA

Jan 182009

Ram 1500

My 2003 Dodge Ram, with 60,768 miles on it, had a failure of the rack and pinion steering. Luckily this did it when parked, and I noticed that king kong could not steer it. If this happened while driving, this could have been a disaster. Chrysler will not stand up for this repair, and from the Dodge forums, this seems to be a very common (and recurring) problem. I fixed at the local Dodge dealership in West salem, wi for a cost of $1130 I am sadly disappointed in Chrysler, making, in my opinion, a known defective product, and not offering support to the consumer. Chrysler should be made liable for this issue, for the safety of many others still on the road today. Thank you for your time.

- Holmen, WI, USA

Jul 202006

Ram 1500 8-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 35 mph, the rear end became noisy under normal road conditions. The nature of the failure was gradually worsening. The vehicle was taken to the service dealer ten times since October 22, 2004, who determined the pinion bearings as well as side clips failed.

- Willow Spring, NC, USA

May 062004

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Front end shakes when braking. Tires are blad on on side due to frount end out of place. This has been in too the dealer 3 times for the front end and 2 times for the brakes.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 152003

Ram 1500

We bought our 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel Ram pickup on January 25, 2003 with 10 miles on it. We noticed it pulled to the right and once in awhile would shake a little, we thought it was out of alignment. On April 27, 2003 we where driving on the freeway at about 80 miles per hour when all of a sudden the truck was violently shaking back and forth. It took everything my husband had to keep us on the road. After what seemed like an eternity he was able to pull onto the shoulder and get it stopped. We decided to try to get to the next town that was 20 miles away. Traveling at 40 M.P.H. with our flashers on, it happened again. My husband called the tow truck, and we haven't seen our truck since! the mechanic said a bolt on the track bar mount had come loose and fell out and they would need to replace the entire front axle. Spoke to the mechanic today and they received the front axle today. Now they need to replace the ball joints, they have been ordered and will take another couple of days. I have spoken to a couple of mechanics today and none of them can figure out why the front axle along with the ball joints would need to be replace because of the loose track bar mount. You can find this on the NHTSA website, sorry I don't have the exact website address. www.NHTSA.dot.gov once in the website go to: Complaint search criteria: Vehicle 2003 Dodge truck

- St. George, UT, USA