8.0

1. replace plastic side of radiator (1 reports)
  2. replace the radiator (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Dec 072012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

This was the third radiator that has failed in my truck . The dealer wanted $350.00 to fix it . I bought the radiator myself this time for $200.00 and installed it myself then traded off the truck.

- , de Smet, SD, USA

Nov 302010

Ram 1500 4.7L

The radiator that Dodge put in my truck always seems to leak once it starts getting cold outside. I had my radiator replaced at around 70k miles after it started leaking from the passenger side. The leak originates from the plastic that is on the side of the aluminum radiator.

After I had it replaced by a non-dealership mechanic it didn't leak for a year or so. Now, that it has become winter it has begun leaking once again. By the drips on the ground it looks like it is coming from the drivers side too. It leaks about 3-4 cups over the night. I am frustrated about the design of this radiator. Plastic, and aluminum don't work well with each other, especially when it gets cold out. So why would they have this type of radiator stock?

I have looked around the internet, and it seems that this is happening a lot. I think the dealership should have a recall on this part, and install a new fully aluminum (with no plastic sides) at no cost to the owner. What would happen if my engine ran out of coolant, because of this design flaw in the wrong neighborhood, or even in the middle of no where? I think it is a safety risk that can contribute to a host of problems.

I have spent enough money on this truck already, and will probably never buy a Dodge Ram again especially if this problem is not dealt with accordingly. I keep up on all my maintenance my self with my own mechanic. I have spent enough money at dealerships with their overpriced costs, and the way they treat people is disgusting.

In conclusion, Dodge should recall all Ram trucks with these defective radiators whether or not they had service done at their dealerships. Leaking radiators caused by the defective design can harm the environment, and animals that enjoy the sweet taste of anti-freeze.

I thank CARCOMPLAINTS.com for allowing vehicle owners to disclose information such as this. I hope something can be done to ratify this situation.

- , Cambridge, MN, USA