$2,500.00

2. rebuild rear end (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Mar 022017

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

click to see larger images

rear end locked up rear end locked up rear end locked up rear end locked up rear end locked up rear end locked up

I have a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 4 x 4 3.92 gear ratio made in May 2004. Was driving down the street and I heard a whirling sound then a hard yank vehicle immediately to came to a stop as I heard something dragging on the ground rear wheels locked up in vehicle was forced to come to a stop right in front of the Dodge dealership how ironic.

I looked under and saw what happened then call the tow truck and when I got home I started looking up possible recalls for the vehicle. what do you know there is a recall for the Dodge ram 1500 4x4 3.92gear ratio with A recall on the drivetrain where the nut that goes on the pinion gear is known to loosen and calls the drive shaft to dismount only thing different from my vehicle is that it is a 2005 but manufactured during the same time frame as mine which is Jan. 28th 2004- Aug. 3rd 2005 with apparently the same problem as I noticed when I looked under that it appears the nut on the pinion gear has loosened until it couldn't hold on any longer. You can see on the pinion that the bolt has stripped the end of the threads on the pinion and yanked off the rest of the way leaving clear evidence of what has happened and the drive shaft jumped off with nothing to hold it on and that causes the pinion gear to fall back into the differential lodging itself inside and locking the rear end.

Sad thing is that it's not covered under the warranty even though it was made in the same time frame and it is apparent that the same fault exist in my vehicle as it does in the recall vehicle I don't understand why it is not covered. I will update after I talk to the dealership or a supervisor in the corporate office calls me back. cray170@gmail.com

- , Indianapolis, IN, US

Sep 172014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

WAS HAVING TRANS REBUILT AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY HEARD A NOISE FROM THE REAR END WHEN IT WAS ON THE LIFT. HE SPUN THE TIRE AND HEARD A TRACKING NOISE. SAID THEY WOULD REBUILD IT UNDER WARRANTY. THEN 30000 MILES GO BY DRIVE SHAFT FALLS OUT. LOCKS UP REAR END AND MY FACE BOUNCES OFF THE STEERING WHEEL PUTS MY TOOTH THROUGH MY LIP. THEY DO NOTHING FOR ME.

- , Bloomington, MN, USA