9.4

$5,667.00

1. replace engine (14 reports)
  3. replace engine crankshaft (1 reports)
  4. replace valve springs on head, number five cylinder (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 222014

Ram 1500 XLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

Well, to be frank I have read many blogs about this problem with the Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi motor breaking a Valve spring. I was driving down the highway and my truck felt like the engine was shaking or something like that so I l pulled off to the side of the road and took a look at my tires and engine compartment. Then tried to start it and it wouldn't almost felt like it had a Vacuum leak. I towed it to a mechanic who found out the number five cylinder had no compression. The mechanic had to pull the head off and found the Valve spring broken. Lucky for my the Valve did not fall into the cylinder and cause more damage.

The problem I have with this situation is DODGE new about the problem because the update the springs a couple years after my truck was build. They did nothing about this problem for the people that bought the truck with that motor according to the blogs that I have read (no recalls). I will spend $2000 (one head) to fix the problem and might while it is apart have the other one done (replace the springs another $500). So it comes down to fixing the one side and offing the truck to a dealer then paying $350 a month for a Chevy or keeping the truck only if I plan to fix the other head. I this Truck worth keeping?

- , Santa Maria, CA, USA

Jun 142013

Ram 1500 LST Hemi V8 5.7L

I PURCHASED MY 2004 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI A FEW MONTHS AGO. MY ENGINE WAS MISFIRING AND WHEN I TOOK IT IN FOR REPAIRS, THE MECHANIC FOUND CHIPS BROKEN OFF FROM MY PISTONS. DODGE CLAIMS THAT THE PISTONS DO FAIL, BUT NOT OFTEN. THE ADJUSTER CLAIMS IT WAS FOREIGN DEBRIS THAT CHIPPED IT, BUT I WOULD OF HAD TO INGEST HARD METAL TO CHIP THE PISTON. MY AIR FILTER DOES NOT HAVE HOLES IN IT AND MY AIR COMPONENTS ARE UNDAMAGED. I LOVE MY TRUCK,BUT HATE ADJUSTERS.

- , Fairchild Air Force Base, WA, USA

Jun 012013

Ram 1500

It started at 90,000, over heating, and I did buy the extended warranty when I bought my truck. I will quote my repair guy, I have never seen a radiator clogged like that. It was over-heating so I got it my mechanic, he replaced the the radiator, a couple hundred dollars.

Then it started overheating again at 100,000 miles , this time it was a blown head gasket or the engine was blown, I'm not sure. My truck has been sitting since Dec.1, I contacted Dodge/Chrysler and they said there is nothing they can do, its out of warranty. I stated I take care of my cars, always changed the oil between 3000 and 3500 miles and always maintained the filters and greased the joints. I kept up with the maintenance of the truck. Again, they did not want to help out a good customer.

I told them I did not want anything for free but felt the engine should not of went like that. I asked for them to sell me an engine at cost , they will not do that. I have to go thru their distributor. I get it, but my wife drives a Chrysler, my company fleets are Dodge pickups, and they did not want to help me out? This is not the way to treat a good customer. I am moving forward with Ford.

I have ordered a new pick up Ford for my company. I am trading in my blown Dodge Truck and getting a Ford. Dodge does not get it, once you do not help someone out it will take 10 times the amount of effort to get someone back, screw you Dodge , never again .

- , Abington, PA, USA

Nov 052013

Ram 1500 Limited 5.7L V8

Not sure what to say except i payed off my 04 truck less then a week ago 19k. I have always done all proper maint and baby it. but today my check engine light came on. So i got to work and left it parked all day then drove home about 5 miles, and as soon as i got close to home i stopped at stop sign and while waiting for 3 min or so i started to smell something so i looked in my mirrors and seen a light white smoke starting to billow out from under my truck. So noticing the smoke i hurry through the intersection and less than 100 feet down the road with no warning or noise,vibrations roughness of any kind it just cut out like the key had been turned off but wasn't of course. I tried to put it in neutral and restart it.over and over again and still nothing so now I'm left stuck on foot and most likely am going to lose my job over this.. Everything that i have read or seen online regarding this truck and its problems makes my f#cking stomach turn and brings me to tears..

Its almost like dodge knows the second its paid off or goes out of warranty and as soon as either happens they press a button somewhere that makes sh*t go terribly wrong. I WILL TELL EVERY PERSON I KNOW TO NEVER EVEN THINK ABOUT A DODGE, JEEP OR CHRYSLER! THAT IS A PROMISE!!!! ON THAT NOTE GO TO HELL CHEAP BASTARDS

- , Kihei, HI, USA

Jan 062011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

since I purchased the 2004 ram 1500 with a 4.7 motor in it used, with @ 29000 miles on it, I have experienced the following problems and subsequent repairs, due to engine oil sludge build-up, caused by inferoir design;

significant to extreme overheating of the motor - 4 radiators, 2 water pumps, 3 thermostats, 2 sets of spark plugs, 1 set heads (gaskets as well), set of piston rings, set of valves (guides, seats too), several sensors and pcv.

ask any dodge mechanic why all of this has to be replaced ALWAYS, they just scratch their heads. each has.a.different, charming but stupid answer, none of which are correct. called chrysler and asked them....long silent period followed with, ..."we'll get back to you on that."

wtf. cowards they are. they know they have a problem, but all they want to do is sell you a newer model. seems that the problem lies in poor design: thin cylinder walls, poor oil circulation in heads and block causes engine to overheat, cascading problem to inferior gaskets, water pump, thermostat and radiator. POWERTRAIN PRODUCTS has stated they have solved the problem by redesigning the piston heads, reducing combustion chamber heat variances, as well as drilling several new holes in the block and heads to promote better oil circulation to prevent sludge. head gaskets also redesigned to prevent failure in extreme heat conditions. cost to purchase redesigned motor is @ 4000 dollars, 3500 with acceptable core trade-in. motor comes with 4 year, one million mile warranty. for 299 more, warranty will become "no fault" . thats what im going to do to fix my sh*tty, but beloved ram truck. so sue chrysler everyone for a piss poor designed product. good luck getting them to pay. I wont ever buy or recommend another dodge or chrysler product ever again, or ford or chevy. theyre pieces of sh*t too. im buying a mercedes benz....a model after the chrysler years. at least ill know I have a quality product.

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Dec 072012

Ram 1500 4.7L

We bought this truck brand new and have taken care of this truck. It is our baby and the only new car we have ever bought. We were looking into it and the same problem we have had many have experienced. Class action lawsuit anyone? I am really trying to get the ball rolling here and make Dodge fix their mistake

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Feb 042013

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

It is really bad that my truck only has only 51,634 miles and something in the motor broke and the motor is now nfg and there is no recall especially with all the complaints that are out there about motor problems.

- , Lee, MA, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 shuts off while driving. Steering locks up and there is nothing I can do but try and make it off the road or stop traffic. After several attempts the vehicle will start back up and work fine. This has happened to me well over twenty times in the past year.There is no patterns to the engine failure. I have been seriously close to major accidents several times. I have taken my truck to 3 mechanics and 4 dealerships and have gotten nowhere. Every time I leave I think the problem is fixed but then it happens again. It is EXTREMELY dangerous. I've had every oxygen sensor replaced, mass air flow sensor, air intake filter, EGR valve, throttle body and crank shaft sensor. Anyone have any other ideas?

- , Lancaster, NY, USA

Aug 312011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.6L V8

On August 31,2011 I took my 04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with automatic transmission and a 4.7 liter v-8 engine with 49,993 miles on it to Gossett Dodge, because I heard loud knocking coming from the right side of the engine. They charged me $120.00 to diagnose the problem, my service adviser stated that the main engine bearings were bad or the lower engine rods were bad. I filed a complaint with Dodge Ram customer care center. They stated that I would have to have the engine broken down at Gossett Dodge for another $725.00 dollars to before they could assist me, Case #21299568. Gossett stated that the crank shaft had broken, then they came back and said the crank shaft counter weight hand broken off, under normal use. Their first solution was to replace the engine for $7200 dollars, with me paying $4000 dollars. The second solution was to replace the crankshaft , with me paying a $1000.00 dollar deductible. I agreed to to take this route, On September 20,2011. Gossett service adviser called me on Thursday October 6,2011 at 0820 hours, stating that my radiator was leaking from the seams. I stated to the service adviser that I have never had a problem out my radiator period. I reluctantly agreed to have the radiator replaced for another $600.00 dollar. I picked up my truck on Friday October 7,2011 at a total cost of $1784.08. I drove the truck over 200 miles this weekend. On October 11,2011, I took the truck back to Gossett and explained to the service advisor that the engine was vibrating the whole truck, when I stopped at a red light, he stated that this was normal, but he would have a service technician to check it out.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 032010

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 4.7L

Just got it paid off, replaced head with a brand new one and 2 weeks later it failed again,i can't afford to fix it again had a heart attack and the truck was my only transportation.had to buy a piece of sh*t for 700.00 just to get around. the truck is in amazing condition inside and out,it was always maintained at 3000 miles never missed it,know it sits in my back yard with no hope of ever getting it fixed with the economy. when i bought it ,i thought i was buying a good truck but everyone i've talked to has had the same problem with this year model of truck. i will never buy another dodge again.

- , Manassas, VA, USA

Dec 242010

Ram 1500

Driving my truck up a pass, it started to die. It wasn't running on all cylinders, therefore the springs were broke and had a very rough idle. Seems as if this is a problem for most people with dodge ram. It needs to be a concern of Chrysler/dodge and be recalled. It is very dangerous for a truck just to quit running on a highway.... we almost got into an accident and ended up stuck in a snow storm for quite a while...thanks dodge!

- , SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA, USA

Dec 222009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

A well maintained vehicle just started running bad, losing power and oil pressure after I had it serviced at the dealership since new. The engine apparently had sludge in the oil, the dealer asked if I had changed the oil and I reminded them they had changed it every 3-4K miles but the engine failed anyway and Dodge refused to cover anything.

The truck is in great condition other than it has a bad engine which failed for no good reason and will cost me several thousand to repair. I paid the truck off last year and then it died so I bought a Ford Expedition and will never purchase another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle again.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

I was in the middle of the Rocky Mountains 54 km outside of Banff, Basically in the middle of nowhere with my wife and a 3 and 1 year old. My truck started shaking and everything shut down. Thought it was my fuel pump but sat in the middle of nowhere for hours and got towed to a gas station. It was Saturday night and everything was shut down!!! Absolute nightmare!

The dealership in Vancouver picked up my car since the gas station said it was the bottom end and would cost around $ 3 to 4 grand and take 2 weeks to fix. The dealership just called me and said dropped valve went thru piston at 169 000 kms. I had a 1990 chev that lasted 320,000 km. Dodge should be embarrassed on the quality of vehicles they manufacturer. By the way I was religious with my oil changes every 5 k. To re and re

- , Langley, BC, Canada

Feb 192010

Ram 1500 4.7L

i have the same problem got my truck back from body shop drove 20 min truck oil gage went down i put oil in it went back up fo 5 min did the same thing took it back asked what they did which had nothing with the engine guy said change the oil so i did with motor flush twice and sparkplugs, made it worse i have an extended warranty through carmax and dodge,67000 miles on this truck in order for them to tell me the cause and if it is covered they need 1100 to tear the engine down and thats to tell me the problem, well i got some info on this truck from him telling these trucks are prone to carbon build up which is not covered by the warranty meaning i would have to pay them the 1100 for a broken truck ,well they want dodge to take care of it through my other warranty but they wont take it there and dodge wont pick it up so it sits at carmax . the more research i did i found the main problem with this truck its oil sending unit is to small for the size of the engine and the hole where the oil go into the engine is to small leading in lack of oil getting to the pistons leading to carbon build up leading to misfire ,leading to them covering there butt by carbon build up which they say is lack of maintenance which is not covered .everyone who fixed this problem themselves has lead to only a bandaid over an infection leading to take out engine and go with a different brand cost 3000 for rebuilt not include labor....sorry for the rant its even worse...where is this class action lawsuit so i can get on it i contacted a lawyer and he said i have a case if my truck was manufactured june 2004 and before,noted on driver side door im in 22000 for this truck and only owe8000

- , Pasadena, CA, USA

Feb 182010

Ram 1500 Ram1500 4.7L V8

Way to go Dodge! We have a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7 engine, engine oil gauge had previously been fluctuating going up then dropping to zero psi, we did 2 oil changes and replaced a o2 sensor. A week later it just wouldn't start, did a compression check and found 3 of the 8 cylinders were way down on compression. Had the truck towed to a shop where they said the camshaft needs to be replaced, all kinds of other shi%, to the tune of $9000 dollars!Guess what? I now have a really clean Dodge lawn ornament! Fu#% you Dodge never again will I buy one of your POS trucks ever again.

If there is a class action lawsuit pending I'd be more than happy to join in please contact me if this is the case.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 052009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

At 72000 miles for the second time my truck dropped a valve and went through the piston. It did the same, lost power, shaking, and heard like something dropped. It was on the other head Dodge didn't replace the first time. 2000 miles over warranty, but yet they replace the other head at 68000 miles and the other went out at 72000 miles. Is this because they didn't replace both the first time?

- , Weatherby, MO, USA

Mar 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

At 68000 miles my truck lost some power, started shaking. Heard a noise like something dropped. Then it died. Had towed to a dealership, it dropped a valve and went through the piston. They put a short block. Put a new head on one side. There's more.....on another complaint.

- , Weatherby, MO, USA

Jan 202006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I would love to start a class action lawsuit against this, Why isn't everyone doing something about this? I came on this website site and couldn't believe that this was happening to me as well, all the same symptoms. Bought the truck with 80k on it, regular oil changes. Then my first winter came - oil gauge stopped coming up to half. Then about 3 months after, quiet knock came, Then about 6 months later, misfire on cylinder #1. Kept clearing the code with my code reader thinking it was just moisture under the cap so did all the replacements necessary (cap,coil,plugs) - still the same problem. Now I have about 136,000 kms, the ticking is really loud.. it kinda goes away but is still there when the truck warms up. This is not a good thing at all and I am not happy. Dodge should stand up to this! How horrible!! I really don't care how long it takes someone should get a lawsuit going over this!!!!!

- , Stevensville, Ontario, Canada

Apr 172008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Well, it's a little comforting knowing there are other people out there who are in the same boat as I am but I think it is time to take action. I had no idea this was a problem until I stumbled onto this site while trying to find a replacement engine for my truck. I figured the problem was unique to me.

I bought my (first and last) Dodge Ram 1500 in August of 04, brand new. Even bought the extended warranty, a lot of good that did. Used my truck for work, drove a lot of miles, always had a load on it. Seemed to be doing great, no real complaints, usual wear and tear stuff. Did eat through brakes like crazy.

Anyway, I was going out of town for the weekend, so earlier in the week I decided to get my oil changed because it was due. I went to one of those 10 minute lube places. They said the oil was really dirty and suggested an engine flush for an extra $20.00. I said sure, what could that hurt? Now mind you, I do have 129,000 miles on my truck, but I figured I had a lot more to go. One hour in to my three hour trip home, going up a grade on the freeway, I hear a loud pop from my engine and I'm spewing oil all over the road, this came with absolutely no warning. I immediately pull over to survey the damage. I threw a rod! It shot one of the connecting rod caps out my oil pan, which I retrieved from the freeway a few hundred feet back down the road. I know it was mine, because it was too hot to handle.

Anyway, to wrap this thing up, I had it towed to Dodge and of course there was no warranty which I already knew. They couldn't even get an engine for it because it was too new. They said that one would have to be pulled off the assembly line and Dodge would not do that unless it was some sort of warranty emergency. All they would be able to do is rebuild my engine at a cost of $8,500.00. What a joke! So my truck has been just sitting in front of my house rotting for the last 5 months. I have two years of financing left and at the time this happened had a remaining balance of $11,000.00.

I see several people have mentioned a class action lawsuit, I'm all for it. I'm going to do some research and see what I can come up with.

- , Antioch, CA, USA

Sep 122008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

This morning as I was leaving for work my truck just died without warning but started right up once I got it pulled over. If I had been on the interstate I would have been killed. No warnings no nothing. My check engine light had come on about 3 months ago for the EGR valve so I'm hoping that is what it is. I didn't take it to the dealer back then but instead dumped some Sea Foam into the gas to clear out the carbon. That seemed to work and the light went off. It is still running great and not missing or sputtering. If the EGR valve fixes it I will post it as a solution here.

- , Mt Juliet, TN, USA