1. replace engine (22 reports)
  3. replace engine crankshaft (1 reports)
  4. replace valve springs on head, number five cylinder (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 252014

Ram 1500 SLE 5.7L

3 PISTON FAILURE. Broken above the top ring. Trashed the head too.

- , Colleyville, TX, USA

Jan 222015

Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi

Just adding to the increasing list of victims of the infamous 5.7L Hemi valve spring failures. My 2004 Dodge Ram had 119,014 miles on it at the time of the engine failure. I bought the truck in February of 2007 wiith 21,362 miles as a certified pre-owned vehicle from a Dodge Dealer (it was a lease turn-in). I changed the oil the night before the failure. I changed the oil every 3000 miles right up until the failure.

Was on bhe highway on cruise control at 65 mph. Started to hear and feel a rumble which felt like a rear tire going bad then the engine missed but then kept chugging awary. I observed that I never lost oil pressure, coasted down a highway off ramp, came to a stop and the engine died. Attempted to restart, and heard a horrendous noise that I never want to hear again, it was the equivalent of a human femur snapping in half.

Had the truck flatbedded to a service station near my home 108 miles away (thank God for AAA). My mechanic reported he could not turn the crank by hand with a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley nut, his words were "it's locked up". Had the truck flatbedded again to a larger auto repair establishment who could accommodate an engine replacement. They quoted me a price of $6000 on a Jasper re-manufactured Hemi installed. When the engine was pulled from the truck, the mechanics found that one valve spring snapped, the piston hit the valve and they found the metal shards in the cylinder and also in the intake. The body on the truck is in very good shape so the $6000.00 was a "no-brainer" when I saw what new or newer used trucks are costing these days.....I plan to hold on to the truck for quite a while, my hope is that Jasper uses quality valve springs, not the garbage OE springs, in their rebuilds. For all you others out there who went through this, I feel your pain.

- , Coraopolis, PA, USA

Sep 132015

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L

click to see larger images

engine failure engine failure

This complaint is related to the "hemi tick". Took my truck to dealer under warranty at 65k miles for a tick. They said it was normal for a hemi tick. Wouldn't fix it. Now, i finally find what the problem was. Valve spring was broken this whole time, causing the exhaust valve to barely "tap" the piston. Over time, this got worse. This past weekend, the valve stem retaining clip gave way and dropped the valve. Engine is now a complete loss as the piston is now shattered. This could have been prevented, and my truck still driving if Dodge would have just fixed the damn problem when I took it to the in the first place. Will never buy another Dodge again.

- , Marion, IN, USA

Nov 012014

Ram 1500 Hemi

Truck has 60,000 and was on its 2 engine and the dealer wanted me to pay for the 3 engine, sent it to the junk yard. 1 engine a valve stuck and took out the piston, dealer did an in frame fix, 2 engine a valve stuck sending the rod through the block. Last time I will by a Dodge.

- , Lockport, NY, USA

Mar 172015

Ram 1500 5.7L, V8

We use our vehicle everyday for our family run business. With this vehicle down it really puts us behind the 8 ball. Not to mention the added cost to fix. We are Auto Dealers and Recyclers. We purchase cars to safety and sell and we also take them apart and sell the parts. Even though we are in the auto business, it doesn't really help with the inconvenience of it all. We love our truck but this issue really bites the big one.

The motor has been ticking for awhile now. It sounded like it was just an exhaust tick. Never went away and never got louder. Approximately 9 months ago the lifter dropped out in the #6 cylinder. It was towed to Dodge and $2000 dollars later the truck was back on the road. Two days ago my wife and I picked up our daughter at school, truck was driving normal and all of a sudden it just died. Pulled over to the side and started to diagnose. Couldn't see anything visibly wrong. Thought it might be the Alternator. Tried to boost it. NO GO. Got the truck towed home and tried to turn engine over with a bar. No Go. ENGINE SEIZED

I'm going to do the work myself this time. Not sure what I'm going to find or how much it will cost but you can be sure that it will be cheaper than taking it in to someone else.

Thanks for listening

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Aug 172014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

Engine failed. Have been chasing Intermittent Mis-Fire for quite some time. Suddenly engine quit and locked up. Found Valve cover broken and broken valve spring inside. I understand engines won't last forever, but this has been a know problem for years from Dodge.

- , Watauga, TX-Texas, USA

Aug 282014

Ram 1500 3.7L V6

2004 RAM 1500 3.7 V6, original motor failed in 2006 with 62K miles, replacement $3000.00

8/28/14 motor failed again, cylinder 5, water in oil, knocking with 98K miles. Now I need another motor, not sure I want to purchase. Dodge should be paying for this. New motor $3500.00 not including installation. Jeep and Ford also using this crap in the F150.

Do not buy any vehicle with 3.7 V6.

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Jan 222014

Ram 1500 XLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

Well, to be frank I have read many blogs about this problem with the Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi motor breaking a Valve spring. I was driving down the highway and my truck felt like the engine was shaking or something like that so I l pulled off to the side of the road and took a look at my tires and engine compartment. Then tried to start it and it wouldn't almost felt like it had a Vacuum leak. I towed it to a mechanic who found out the number five cylinder had no compression. The mechanic had to pull the head off and found the Valve spring broken. Lucky for my the Valve did not fall into the cylinder and cause more damage.

The problem I have with this situation is DODGE new about the problem because the update the springs a couple years after my truck was build. They did nothing about this problem for the people that bought the truck with that motor according to the blogs that I have read (no recalls). I will spend $2000 (one head) to fix the problem and might while it is apart have the other one done (replace the springs another $500). So it comes down to fixing the one side and offing the truck to a dealer then paying $350 a month for a Chevy or keeping the truck only if I plan to fix the other head. I this Truck worth keeping?

- , Santa Maria, CA, USA

Jun 142013

Ram 1500 LST Hemi V8 5.7L

- , Fairchild Air Force Base, WA, USA

Jun 012013

Ram 1500

It started at 90,000, over heating, and I did buy the extended warranty when I bought my truck. I will quote my repair guy, I have never seen a radiator clogged like that. It was over-heating so I got it my mechanic, he replaced the the radiator, a couple hundred dollars.

Then it started overheating again at 100,000 miles , this time it was a blown head gasket or the engine was blown, I'm not sure. My truck has been sitting since Dec.1, I contacted Dodge/Chrysler and they said there is nothing they can do, its out of warranty. I stated I take care of my cars, always changed the oil between 3000 and 3500 miles and always maintained the filters and greased the joints. I kept up with the maintenance of the truck. Again, they did not want to help out a good customer.

I told them I did not want anything for free but felt the engine should not of went like that. I asked for them to sell me an engine at cost , they will not do that. I have to go thru their distributor. I get it, but my wife drives a Chrysler, my company fleets are Dodge pickups, and they did not want to help me out? This is not the way to treat a good customer. I am moving forward with Ford.

I have ordered a new pick up Ford for my company. I am trading in my blown Dodge Truck and getting a Ford. Dodge does not get it, once you do not help someone out it will take 10 times the amount of effort to get someone back, screw you Dodge , never again .

- , Abington, PA, USA

Nov 052013

Ram 1500 Limited 5.7L V8

Not sure what to say except i payed off my 04 truck less then a week ago 19k. I have always done all proper maint and baby it. but today my check engine light came on. So i got to work and left it parked all day then drove home about 5 miles, and as soon as i got close to home i stopped at stop sign and while waiting for 3 min or so i started to smell something so i looked in my mirrors and seen a light white smoke starting to billow out from under my truck. So noticing the smoke i hurry through the intersection and less than 100 feet down the road with no warning or noise,vibrations roughness of any kind it just cut out like the key had been turned off but wasn't of course. I tried to put it in neutral and restart it.over and over again and still nothing so now I'm left stuck on foot and most likely am going to lose my job over this.. Everything that i have read or seen online regarding this truck and its problems makes my f#cking stomach turn and brings me to tears..

Its almost like dodge knows the second its paid off or goes out of warranty and as soon as either happens they press a button somewhere that makes sh*t go terribly wrong. I WILL TELL EVERY PERSON I KNOW TO NEVER EVEN THINK ABOUT A DODGE, JEEP OR CHRYSLER! THAT IS A PROMISE!!!! ON THAT NOTE GO TO HELL CHEAP BASTARDS

- , Kihei, HI, USA

Jan 062011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

since I purchased the 2004 ram 1500 with a 4.7 motor in it used, with @ 29000 miles on it, I have experienced the following problems and subsequent repairs, due to engine oil sludge build-up, caused by inferoir design;

significant to extreme overheating of the motor - 4 radiators, 2 water pumps, 3 thermostats, 2 sets of spark plugs, 1 set heads (gaskets as well), set of piston rings, set of valves (guides, seats too), several sensors and pcv.

ask any dodge mechanic why all of this has to be replaced ALWAYS, they just scratch their heads. each has.a.different, charming but stupid answer, none of which are correct. called chrysler and asked them....long silent period followed with, ..."we'll get back to you on that."

wtf. cowards they are. they know they have a problem, but all they want to do is sell you a newer model. seems that the problem lies in poor design: thin cylinder walls, poor oil circulation in heads and block causes engine to overheat, cascading problem to inferior gaskets, water pump, thermostat and radiator. POWERTRAIN PRODUCTS has stated they have solved the problem by redesigning the piston heads, reducing combustion chamber heat variances, as well as drilling several new holes in the block and heads to promote better oil circulation to prevent sludge. head gaskets also redesigned to prevent failure in extreme heat conditions. cost to purchase redesigned motor is @ 4000 dollars, 3500 with acceptable core trade-in. motor comes with 4 year, one million mile warranty. for 299 more, warranty will become "no fault" . thats what im going to do to fix my sh*tty, but beloved ram truck. so sue chrysler everyone for a piss poor designed product. good luck getting them to pay. I wont ever buy or recommend another dodge or chrysler product ever again, or ford or chevy. theyre pieces of sh*t too. im buying a mercedes benz....a model after the chrysler years. at least ill know I have a quality product.

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Dec 072012

Ram 1500 4.7L

We bought this truck brand new and have taken care of this truck. It is our baby and the only new car we have ever bought. We were looking into it and the same problem we have had many have experienced. Class action lawsuit anyone? I am really trying to get the ball rolling here and make Dodge fix their mistake

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Feb 042013

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

It is really bad that my truck only has only 51,634 miles and something in the motor broke and the motor is now nfg and there is no recall especially with all the complaints that are out there about motor problems.

- , Lee, MA, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 shuts off while driving. Steering locks up and there is nothing I can do but try and make it off the road or stop traffic. After several attempts the vehicle will start back up and work fine. This has happened to me well over twenty times in the past year.There is no patterns to the engine failure. I have been seriously close to major accidents several times. I have taken my truck to 3 mechanics and 4 dealerships and have gotten nowhere. Every time I leave I think the problem is fixed but then it happens again. It is EXTREMELY dangerous. I've had every oxygen sensor replaced, mass air flow sensor, air intake filter, EGR valve, throttle body and crank shaft sensor. Anyone have any other ideas?

- , Lancaster, NY, USA

Aug 302011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.6L V8

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.6 liter V 8 with 49993 miles on it original. Developed what sounded like a loud exhaust from the right side of the engine on August 30,2011. I took it to Gossett Dodge on 8-31-2011, the service rep. said it would cost $120 to diagnose the problem, their findings: broken lower engine rods or main engine bearings. I filed a complaint with a Dodge Ram specialist, He said they needed to break down the engine to see where the source of the problem was before they could assist me, cost $825.; their finding a broken crankshaft counter weight, that had no undue pressure or stress on it according to the dealership. Cost of repair with a remanufactured engine $7000. Note dodge has 70,000 mile or 7 yr warranty on this engine. Dodge want me to pay $4,009 of the repair bill, even though they know it was defective engine.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 312011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.6L V8

On August 31,2011 I took my 04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with automatic transmission and a 4.7 liter v-8 engine with 49,993 miles on it to Gossett Dodge, because I heard loud knocking coming from the right side of the engine. They charged me $120.00 to diagnose the problem, my service adviser stated that the main engine bearings were bad or the lower engine rods were bad. I filed a complaint with Dodge Ram customer care center. They stated that I would have to have the engine broken down at Gossett Dodge for another $725.00 dollars to before they could assist me, Case #21299568. Gossett stated that the crank shaft had broken, then they came back and said the crank shaft counter weight hand broken off, under normal use. Their first solution was to replace the engine for $7200 dollars, with me paying $4000 dollars. The second solution was to replace the crankshaft , with me paying a $1000.00 dollar deductible. I agreed to to take this route, On September 20,2011. Gossett service adviser called me on Thursday October 6,2011 at 0820 hours, stating that my radiator was leaking from the seams. I stated to the service adviser that I have never had a problem out my radiator period. I reluctantly agreed to have the radiator replaced for another $600.00 dollar. I picked up my truck on Friday October 7,2011 at a total cost of $1784.08. I drove the truck over 200 miles this weekend. On October 11,2011, I took the truck back to Gossett and explained to the service advisor that the engine was vibrating the whole truck, when I stopped at a red light, he stated that this was normal, but he would have a service technician to check it out.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 032010

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 4.7L

Just got it paid off, replaced head with a brand new one and 2 weeks later it failed again,i can't afford to fix it again had a heart attack and the truck was my only transportation.had to buy a piece of sh*t for 700.00 just to get around. the truck is in amazing condition inside and out,it was always maintained at 3000 miles never missed it,know it sits in my back yard with no hope of ever getting it fixed with the economy. when i bought it ,i thought i was buying a good truck but everyone i've talked to has had the same problem with this year model of truck. i will never buy another dodge again.

- , Manassas, VA, USA

Dec 242010

Ram 1500

Driving my truck up a pass, it started to die. It wasn't running on all cylinders, therefore the springs were broke and had a very rough idle. Seems as if this is a problem for most people with dodge ram. It needs to be a concern of Chrysler/dodge and be recalled. It is very dangerous for a truck just to quit running on a highway.... we almost got into an accident and ended up stuck in a snow storm for quite a while...thanks dodge!

Dec 222009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

A well maintained vehicle just started running bad, losing power and oil pressure after I had it serviced at the dealership since new. The engine apparently had sludge in the oil, the dealer asked if I had changed the oil and I reminded them they had changed it every 3-4K miles but the engine failed anyway and Dodge refused to cover anything.

The truck is in great condition other than it has a bad engine which failed for no good reason and will cost me several thousand to repair. I paid the truck off last year and then it died so I bought a Ford Expedition and will never purchase another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle again.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA