8.7

2. dodge needs to do an investigation and possible recall (8 reports)
  3. dodge should do a recall!!! (3 reports)
  4. shut engine off after a few minutes restart (3 reports)
  5. clean air intake (1 reports)
  6. fuel tank replacement (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 262016

Ram 1500 FS Hemi

Red bolts, engine light, STALLING ANYWHERE ANYTIME. Mechanics are still trying to figure out. I just happen to come across this site because I'm tired of paying for this and for that and problem still not fixed. So I took research in my own hands and to my amazement saw this site with many other complaints exactly like mine. I MEAN RIGHT TO THE TEE! , loss of power erratic engine run and stall. I could be pulling out of driveway or doing 65 on freeway. I wouldn't panic because we had a Durango 99 that did the same, but never associated that with this problem on my truck yet, now I think the engines are pretty close aren't they?

I don't claim to be mechanic but after paying thousands on that Durango it never got fixed it was shipped to farm in central Mexico. As for my truck I have put in $100s and still no fix. I don't recall all the a temps by different well known shops and how many different parts replaced. Dodge has been our favorite of all vehicles we have owned we were GM that's a joke. I had to add my complaint maybe they may listen.

If by chance Dodge rep reads this please quote me to your higher ups I, CARLOS LOPEZ, NO LONGER REFER YOUR DODGE PRODUCT TO ANY OF MY FAMILY OR FRIENDS UNTIL YOU RESPOND TO OUR COMPLAINTS. AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE US.

In the past I complained about the Mickey Mouse hand grabs at front seats for assisting you in entering and how my Mom grabbed one and it broke. She almost fell, yet I was there. They wouldn't even pay to replace them after I asked nicely not complaining just replace. To this date they are still broken off completely both sides. Remember, this is another complaint and is not justifiable on this engine complaint.

As for the engine stall mechanics have replaced more parts. It ran fine for a couple weeks, then it stalled again once only no engine lights or lighting bolts have gone on. Yet it lacks the balls it should have for hauling or upgrades I have to kick it in the ass and floor it like a mule. Got it to move, now I been told it's exhaust system or in more easier terms another $1800.00 to possibly give it its balls back POSSIBLY....?

CARLOS J LOPEZ 809 Humphrey Place Chula Vista Ca.91911 Cell 6198299621

Fell free to contact me. That way I know AT LEAST somebody acknowledged me. That's all anybody really wants is to know someone did hear what they had to say or do in this life.

- , Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 102015

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L

My Hemi Ram ran flawless for years and on a hot day on the interstate completely went dead at 70 mph. Engine lights and misfire or throttle control spark warning was on as the engine died. I pushed into neutral and coasted as far as I could. After a few minutes cranked, ran ok with a code on to the next town. The code was throttle body gasket, but I don't think it that at all. Cleared the code got a a tank of new fuel and it ran fine til now, even though have been afraid of long trips or interstate driving. It was a very hot humid day, fuel ethanol or water contamination is suspected, but after reading I believe it is a throttle control problem that will need attention. If anyone had this I would like to know of a real solution.

- , Starkville, MS, USA

Jun 022015

Ram 1500 1500 5.7L

Started from a stop sign, and vehicle hesitated when I pressed on the accelerator. Then coming to stop sign, engine died. Would not start unless pressing on the gas pedal, and then died a few times again if I let off the accelerator. Finally got it started, (even tho it sounded like it was only running on 5 cylinders) and got it into a gas station parking lot. Died again. Started running fine after about 7 starts/dies cycles.

- , Marion, IN, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 1500 LST 5.7L

At stop lights and when I just start to go, the engine just stops running. Also when that happens you cannot turn the steering wheel. Kind of scary.

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Apr 272015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

The engine has shut off at least 5 times during the last year while going at slow speeds and I release the accelerator to slow down. I simply shift to neutral and restart the engine, but this is annoying.

- , Antlers, OK, USA

Apr 012015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

I've had issues with truck stalling on decel or at a stop, however it's getting worse lately and happening at higher speeds as well. RPMs usually go below 500 and I can sense it happening. I can always get it restarted but usually have to hit the gas pedal as I'm starting it. Most recently I had to use 2nd gear rather than D to keep RPMs up.

- , Littleton, USA

Feb 242015

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I've own this truck since new, and it's been great. However, recently I've had three incidents on my evening commute where approaching a stop light the struck has stalled - electrical power stayed on, engine shut off resulting in loss of power brakes and steering at a fairly critical moment. Took it to a local mechanic who could not find anything obvious.

Will take to Dodge soon for a check out and report back...

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 022014

Ram 1500 5.7L

Hello Dodge Owners, I have a Dodge 1500 .7 liter Hemi that idles high when starting, runs rough at low speeds. Some times stops and cuts off at red lights, cuts off on the freeway, and loses power at speeds up to 70 mph. I have to put in N to restart before I get rear ended, replaced the Throttle Body about two years ago, now i am having the same problem. Is there anyone out there that can help?

- , Katy, TX, USA

Feb 242013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

My wife and sister in law were coming home from a friend's camp and the truck stalled while turning a corner. No power steering and no brakes. Luckily they managed to get pulled over without hitting anyone or being hit by someone. After a couple of moments the truck restarted but it was idling very roughly and continually wanted to stall. Managed to make it home but were very shaken up by the incident. I used it to go to work the next week and it stalled several times while driving, twice while I was turning. Luckily nobody was in the other lane or I would of side swiped them for sure. I brought it to the local garage as the engine light was now on and they could not find anything. Thought maybe it was bad fuel. Had the injectors flushed, changed all sixteen plugs and ran two tanks of premium through it with little results. It is now back at the garage and was checked for broken valve springs, engine compression, bad coils and so far nothing. The bill is running up exponentially and I dont know what to do. Tired of sinking money into this piece of sh#!. Garage have had it five days now and no fix yet.

- , Hanmer, Ontario, Canada

Apr 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

The stalling problem was a big pain in the tail but after some brake cleaner and some paper towels, My truck is running great again.

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Nov 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

click to see larger images

engine stalls/dies while driving engine stalls/dies while driving

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi lost throttle and ETC light (Electronic Throttle Control Light) was flashing while I was on the highway. When I pulled over I popped the hood and the engine was barely running RPM's were really low. So I hopped in and pressed the throttle and it wouldn't go past 1800 RPM's. Scared to shut down and have it not restart, I drove it back 3 exits Approx. (5 miles) on just the rough idle. Got it in the driveway and shut down, waited, and restarted and it still ran rough and ETC light was flashing. I shut it down for 30 minutes and restarted and everything was fine. Ran good for a few days and then one morning I went to start up and guess what it's back!!!! Shut down and restart...fine again.

This seems to be a common issue. I found lots of fixes online but none matched mine. So I found most answers point to inspecting the throttle body, so I did. When i pulled the resonator box off the throttle body I noticed 2 wires frayed and broken. It seems the wires were rubbing the resonator box and got destroyed.

The wires frayed BRN/YEL and BRN/RED shown in the photos are the set of (2) of the 6 wires going to the throttle body plug and after I cleaned the throttle body which was absolutely disgusting and sticky to the touch. Now I play the waiting game!!! YAY!!!

Just a reminder, disconnect Negative for a few minutes and then reconnect and leave ignition in Accessory for at least ten seconds for the computer to learn new electronics before starting.

Update from Apr 11, 2013: It's been a few months and 1000 miles and I haven't had any problems.

- , Novato, CA, USA

Sep 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Ok bought this truck from lustin dodge in woodbridge va. brand new, right off the lot, fuel tank was leaking. in fact when you went to fill it up the hole was on top and it would never reach the spout to cut off the gas. of course the lot attendant knew this and sent me off the lot smoking a cigarette leaking gas .. I also have 2003 with all the same issues, electrical , windows don't work, headlights don't work , trailer wires don't work and now it is cutting off while you drive both of them at the same time ,... did someone hit the kill dodge ram 1500 electric zapper or something .... I have one parked in the driveway which is the 2004 and guess what folks, the nice mechanics at lustin dodge dumped a handfull of metal shavings in my plastic fuel tank, how nice of them .... right now I'm in the process of replacing the fuel pump to see if this works I went through trusty old advance auto online found a 50 dollar off coupon online and got the pump on its way for $136.00 ...one year warranty ....

And dodge you really should recall the 03 04 and fix the electric. what a safety hazard when your lights go out and your truck just randomly cuts off !

- , Nokesville, VA, USA

Jan 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I was driving down the road and the truck shut off.I would put in neutral & re-crank. Also when I would stop it would go dead.But would crank right back up Nobody could tell me what the problem was. They can't fix something if there is no problem. Well I found out the hard way, when it finally left me stranded. I shut it off, and came back to go home and t was dead The battery was shot, worn out. And this has been the problem all along.

- , Kennsaw, GA, USA

Jul 202011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I saw a post where someone also noticed the ETC warning flashing and their engine stalled while driving . All I had to do was stop and restart a couple of minutes later. It's happened twice now in the last couple of months and I was wondering if anyone had figured out what the problem was.

- , huntsville, al, Pacific Islands (US)

Nov 052011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L Mangnum

I'm very disappointed in Dodge. I can't believe all the folks on here with this idle problem and stall issue. It is a VERY dangerous condition. My truck stalls when turning, at a stop or slowing down to stop. You lose the power steering and ability to brake when the engine stalls. I've called Dodge and reported the issue as I encourage all of you to do the same. You can dial 800-247-9753 to file a complaint. It actually is pretty fast to get though, the more who complain the sooner we'll get some reaction from Chrysler. ( I hope) I did get a case #, but let it be known, if something happens that I die in a crash because I couldn't turn or stop my truck because of a reported issue that Dodge is fully aware of, my wife is going to be a rich lady. My case # is 21536270, so when the representative says "I have no information on this problem" tell them their full of crap. There are tons of complaints on this website and numerous others. I'm trying to fix this problem so I can sell the vehicle. I'm buying a new truck, because of the way Chrysler Dodge is handling their customers, I'm going elsewhere. Maybe a Ford or Chevrolet in my future. Dodge puts unsafe vehicles on the road. They get feedback from their customers and choose to do nothing on a very serious safety issue.

- , Palm Bay, FL, USA

Oct 112011

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

Driving down the road, approaching a red light, hit the brakes normally, truck stalls and I have no power steering, no power brakes, almost hit two other cars. I was doing 40 mph at the time it stalled. It was nerve wrecking and I'm glad I didn't have my family with me. I would hate to see this happen on the highway at 70 mph. All it would take is someone to cut in front of me, I hit my brakes and lose it all. WT......BUCK. DODGE DEALER says they have never heard of this and there are no lights or codes coming up but they want to charge the heck out of you anyway. they should not even let you leave knowing that the risk of possible injury is great.

- , Carrollton, TX, USA

Jun 112011

Ram 1500 STL Hemi

Well I guess I will join you sorry SOB's. My 2004 Dodge Ram with Hemi just started the losing power while driving thing. While drive the engine will die for a few seconds. However, when at idle, the engine will stall. No error codes. I will drive it into a wall at 80 mph to see if the air bag still works when the engine fails. That way when my family sues Dodge and get the 1.5 million I'm worth to them, Dodge will maybe think about doing something about it. Hey, I could lend the truck to my mother-in-law.

- , Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Mar 142011

Ram 1500 LS 5.7L Hemi

Well i have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7L hemi.And i have been having nothing but problems with it.But what really pisses me off is i have a lightening bolt light that keeps coming on in my truck then my check engine light will come on as well.When the light comes on i loose all power to my truck. Its actually kind of scary when your doing 70 on the freeway and you loose all power and cant accelerate or slow down.The bad thing is i have 4 kids and almost been in 2 accidents bacause of this.I took it to 2 repair shops and they cant tell me why the light comes on nor how to fix it.What i dont understand is how dodge has a lightening bolt light on there trucks but not even a dealer knows what it is or how to get the problem fixed.

I dont know if anyone else has has this problem.But what i do want to know is who is going to get this taken care of or is it going to take someone getting killed and have a lawsuit on dodge for anyone to get this sh*t figured out.But i can guarantee this i will never ever buy another dodge truck.Thank you and have a great day.

- , Livingston, TX, USA

Feb 062011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I've got a 2004 Dodge Rumblebee 5.7L Hemi 1500 1/2 ton, had no problems until 2 weeks ago. It was below zero temp. and as I was turning left I lost complete power! Talk about scary! Luckily no one was infront or behind me, I couldn't stop or keep turning so I just let it die. Threw er' in neutral and started it right back up immediately. Went straight to the dealer and since there was no code they can do nothing. A week later, same problem...what to do? I'm not about to start guessing and just fix things with no code... we all know that gets expensive quick. Some say EGR some say cylinder issue...if anyone has specifics let me know : )

- , Wyoming, MI, USA

Jan 062011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

i'll be driving along and my truck engine will just stop - shut off, sometimes at low speeds sometimes at 55 mph +. I will kick to N and restart. Very hard to do when you lose brakes and power steering. Not sure if i was hitting the brake in these events. these problems would happen every so often maybe once every 2 months or so...think bad gas or just needs warmed up, even though is was running for a while. Nov 2010 coming home from Mom & dad's going thru the Ft. Pitt tunnel on the bridge in a curve the truck shuts off i almost wrecked into barrier. No problems until last week once on my way to work, and 3 times it shut off on my way home. now it's 2 days i a row. Now it is a problem, don't trust truck for reliable transportation anymore. time for the shop

Any help for the weary?