1. replaced the egr valve myself (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jul 142008

Ram 1500 5.7L

2004 ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. At just over 36k miles my EGR valve went bad! The dealer said it wouldnít be covered under my 3yr 36k warranty. So I call my local auto parts store(s), and none of them carry a replacement part. I called auto zone, napa, advanced auto, pep boys, all of the major auto parts stores in my town. They all donít carry the part and they also canít even order it! I could only get it from the dealer. Another 80 dollars down the drain. I replaced it myself however, Iím sure it would have cost me 200 to 300 dollars if I had a shop replace it. And get this,at 40k miles (my current problem)the Steering Rack needs replacing! With gas costs on the high end the last few years, I rarely drive the truck. However, one fine afternoon I decided to take the truck down the road and when I started it, I herd a whining noise and thought to myself, that sounds like Iím low on power steering fluid so, I checked and sure enough it was bone dry. So I pull the truck out to go down to the local auto parts store and notice all the fluid leaked out onto the driveway! Come on! The truck only has 40k miles on it. Iím steaming mad because itís not covered under warranty any longer. To add insult to injury, the dealer wants $743.00 just for the part. After reading some of these posts about having the dealer replace the rack for about 1000.00 dollars a pop, there is no way Iím spending that kind of money for it to just go out every year. Iíll be replacing it myself as I have the tools and the garage to do it in however, I feel for you guys that donít have the tools, space, or technical know how to save yourself hundreds of dollars. Well, Iíll be getting a replacement part from one of the local auto parts stores as they are much cheaper then what the dealer will charge for the part. Also, just checking around, NAPA has the part for 200.00 dollars and has a lifetime warranty as long as it not damaged as a result of a wreck. I like my truck and have been a dodge guy my whole life however, I canít help but think when is the other shoe going to drop and I have another major repair on my hands?

- , Waxhaw, NC, USA