2004 Dodge Ram 1500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 062012

Ram 1500

I bought an 04 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi that had around 80K miles on it when I bought it in Oct 2010. It was awesome the first and a half I had it, only minor repairs I.e battery, idler pulley, ignition switch. I did regular maintenance on it as well as oil changes. In late March 2012 I went to put gas in my truck and it would not let me put more than 10 or 15 cents in before it would "back fill" I was trying to figure out what the problem could be with that, then in early April 2012 I was driving home after running some errands, the truck had run great all day just like normal, but about 8 miles from house I hear this "thunk" and I have no power and I had this awful shaking and rattling noise. There were not even any warning lights telling we that there was something wrong, I called someone to tow it home that night. I did thankfully have another car to drive. In the months since I have been slowly tearing the engine apart with my dad, this week we finally pulled the heads and discovered that my # 6 piston was completely disintegrated and had punched a hole in my block! my original thought was that this was just a random fluke and it was just mine, but after reading on some Dodge forums I see that it was not just mine! this is ridiculous for an engine that has no more miles than this and had been properly maintained. My parents have a 1999 Ford F150 that has almost 300K on it and has not been maintained nearly as well... as my dad puts it "it has been run hard and put up wet" this engine has run like a champ! it even still has the original battery in it! there are many more reports of this happening to this engine both in the durango with that year hemi as well as the Ram on this forum

- Drexel, MO, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a strong fuel odor. The contact replaced the spark plugs and noticed that the vehicle fuel tank leaked fuel when it was full. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The failure and current mileage was 40,000.

- Laquinta , CA, USA