2004 Dodge Ram 1500 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 042016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. While making a right turn at 5 mph, a loud grinding noise emitted from the vehicle. The driver pulled over and discovered that the rear passenger wheel fractured and caused the vehicle to collapse without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Apr 202015

Ram 1500

The contact owned a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 35 mph to exit the highway, the rear driver side tire completely fractured. The vehicle spun around and crashed into a wall. The vehicle was destroyed. None of the air bags deployed. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that there was extensive rust and corrosion on the frame. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and then towed to a repair shop. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 272016

Ram 1500

Driving home on 5/27/2016, hear hammering and assume local construction. Drive a little further and hear hammering again. 3rd time, I realize it's coming from my truck and in time with tire rotation. Pull over, but tires and wheels look fine. Drive further, hammering continues. Pull over again, but nothing being dragged underneath. As I slowly drive 2 blocks to closest garage, some guy says he can see my front wheel moving. Pull up in front of garage bay. Mechanic says front wheel rusted to point of near collapse. Try to move truck into bay but turning the wheels stresses it too much, so it's jacked it up in place. Only immediate remedy is spare tire, but spare tire winch rusted frozen and they had to cut cable and box. Mechanic said front wheel may not have endured if gone further, showed other 3 wheels were similarly rusting, and apparently because of the cover they put on the chrome clad steel wheels. Good thing I was moving slowly and on residential roads; if wheel had come off on faster roads it could easily have ended up in windshield of vehicle driving the other way. Chrome cladding separated completely. Wheel had chunks of rust 2-3"X1/2" + flakes falling off, complete separation in large areas. Major safety issue - apparently result of a design flaw made worse because the chrome cladding hides the rusting from view that was known or should have been known to manufacturer (junk yards are aware of it, ) and that could have resulted in loss of life. Thankfully, I believe it was broken sway bar link pin (rust) that caused hammering and alerted me to check wheels. Had to purchase 4 new wheels, and have link pin replaced. Fc/Ram unwilling to address, based on year of truck and mileage, but no one should ever have to worry that their wheels may rust off where you cannot see it. Saved 1 wheel and cladding for verification; others discarded.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500

I have received many notices about the air bag failure on my 04 Ram truck. I have taken it to my dealer over a year ago and they cannot acquire the parts to replace it, this is ongoing and dumb. Every time I drive it I am at risk and if something ever happened to me my family would sue Dodge Corp. But I wish to live with peace of mind. Also codes R25 P81 P40 at which the whell hubs are failing every 3-4 years and I keep purchasing with replacement parts from local auto parts stores.

- Statesville, NC, USA

May 292015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Was driving at about 25 mph had just made a left turn, and out of no where my truck went side ways heard a screeching tire sound then a bang, then the whole truck started to shake very violently. I braked immediately and the banging continued, I was in the middle of the roadway and tried to give it gas to get to the edge of the street but the banging go worst, turn off and exited the truck, noticed a big piece of metal in the middle of the road along with a lot of oil, ran up to it to only notice it was half of my drive shaft, it had snapped in two still attached to a piece of the rear end, along with fragment pieces all over the floor of the differential housing, seemed like something blew up in the differential. I looked under the truck and noticed the banging noise and violent movement was coming from the other half of the drive shaft that was still attacked to the transmission that was still spinning when I had it in gear. The car behind me had to avoid the drive shaft that snapped off since he said it flew out the rear of my truck as I was driving. Had to get towed home and have the differential oil cleaned of the road way. I went home and notice there was a recall for this very same thing at it covered trucks manufactured January 28 of 2004 through August 3, 2005, my truck was manufactured April 2004 so it should be covered but the dealer and manufacture are giving the run around. Please help!

- Reseda, CA, USA

Sep 072004

Ram 1500

Checking on possible airbag recalls. Also when I purchased this truck in year 2004 (brand new), I was offered the the option of 20" rims. I toke the option yet, the id sticker located on the drivers door was never replaced. Everytime I have my tires serviced, the tires are imporperly filled with air, even though I repeatedly infor the repair maintenance shops that 34 psi is not the correct pressure. They repair shops state, we follow the guidance on the door sticker.

- Hubert, NC, USA

Mar 102015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Truck started squeaking then making a popping noise while turning in the driveway. The steering wheel makes a noise while turning. Didn't know there was any recalls on this truck. I took it to the shop and the man said the wheel was about to come off.

- Linden, NC, USA

Mar 112014

Ram 1500

Felt the rear end come up off the ground and a loud bang. Spare tire had come loose from under vehicle. Lucky no one was behind me or could have been bad. Rim is bent and unusable now. It is held up by a small gauge wire and will eventually fray and break loose.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Dec 272013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving the spare tire which is suspended under the vehicle fell to the ground. The metal bracket that passes through the center of the spare tire to suspend it rusted where it connects to the suspension cable causing the tire to fall to the ground. Fortunately I was driving slowly through a shopping plaza and there was no vehicles behind me. If I had been driving at highway speeds it could have caused an accident for anyone behind me. Very unsafe design. I mention what occurred to my neighbor who has a similar Dodge Ram and he informed me that the same thing had occurred to his vehicle. He too was fortunate that the spare tire fell in the driveway of his home. In looking on the internet, numerous forums report the same safety issue. Please investigate and discuss the safety issue with Dodge before anyone gets hurt. Thanks.

- Marshall, VA, USA

Jan 132010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I have owned this vehicle for just a little over 2 years and has been in the shop 3 times for the hub assemblies. I looked up the truck to see if there were any recalls and found that there is a recall on the hub assembly for the 2wd but not the 4WD which is what I have. I think that it should be recalled and just hasn't been brought to anyone's attention.

- Abilene, KS, USA

Sep 052011

Ram 1500

While traveling on the highway I-90 one of my pro comp all terrain tires 33/12.5/R17 lost all the tread, oit peeled off like a retread (they are not re treads) they had about 50% tread life left on the tires and I had just checked the tire pressure as I was hauling a horse trailer. As the tread came off the tire it made a couple rotations and completely destroyed the side of my truck bed. I was able to maintain control of the vehicle and pull to the side of the road. The tire still had air in it just no tread. The tread completely separated from the tire. I have read a number of posts on the internet with others having the same issue.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Feb 282011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Front left wheel bearing hub failed at 54,000 miles. This is very low mileage for a wheel bearing to fail. Wheel bearing hub had to be replaced.

- Redford, MI, USA

Feb 152010

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Both front hub/wheel-bearing assemblies have failed on my truck. My truck has 50K miles! the front wheel-bearing on both sides makes noises, sometimes sounds like it is catching or getting stuck. This has caused me to wreck in a ditch and is very dangerous. The noise starts out only once in a while, then seems to be constantly grinding.

- Pennsboro, WV, USA

Nov 102010

Ram 1500

I heard whine noise coming from my front wheel hubs on my 04 Ram 1500 2wd with 73,724 miles in January of 2010. Took to Chrysler dealer and they confirmed hubs were loose and replace them both with aftermarket hubs part number 515072. 10 months later and approx 4000 miles on November 10, 2010 at 7 pm I was making a left hand turn in an empty lot going to an atm and felt and heard a pop then my right front end was on the asphalt. Got out and found my wheel laying next to my truck with all lug nuts still in place. I inspected the damage and the wheel hub broke completely apart luckily I was going slow in a parking lot. My front right fender is damaged, the brake caliper snapped off the spindle and hub is in several pieces with roller bearings spread out over area that is just what I saw the may be more damage. Called the dealer they sent a wrecker to get my truck and still waiting to see what is going to happen. They act like they don't now anything.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jul 102010

Ram 1500 4WD

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 regular cab pickup w/ 20" wheels & oem Goodyear Wrangler hp tiers 5.7 hemi. Vehicle is 100% stock and unmodified and maintained meticulously. At random intervals on the highway between 60 & 65 mph. The vehicle will abruptly develop a massive shaking sensation. Violent enough to make it feel like it may loose control or have a flat tire. Then if you slow down the truck ride smoothes as glass and will be fine till it starts to build again, or a bump sets it off. This problem is well known throwout the internet and commonly called "death wobble". this condition seems to affect primarily Ram 1500-2500 from 2003-2008.

- Sover, MA, USA

Mar 182010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Around 6/2009 my passenger side wheel hub starting to make a cracking and popping noise at parking lot speeds, I took it to have replaced. It was replaced with a new part. Now only a year later my driver side wheel hub is making the same cracking and popping noise. I believe the bearings are sub standard and need to be checked into.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Aug 252009

Ram 1500

The right front wheel assembly broke free from vehicle while driving at 40mph nice straight road St 933 going from notre dame to niles Michigan. The assembly rotor calipers lug nuts suspension and rim with tire. As the assembly rolled under the truck is caused me to go airborne this happened at 1:30pm on a beautiful day. 08/25/09. After the truck came to a stop I got out and could not believe what just happen. It was just a matter of minutes before the state police arrived. His first question was am I ok do I need medical attention. His second Q uestion where is the other vehicle I told him there is none. Question 2 where is the rest of the truck. I said I do not know. My insurance is bent on getting the truck auction off trying to recoup some of there money. I got on your homepage and found a recall notice campaign id number 04V221000 affecting 6183 vehicles. The truck sits at copart salvage case exp.0001961. I also called the manufacture they said it must have gotten lost in the mail. Thew recall was in 2004 two months after purchase of the truck they offered no help. What is there was some traffic that day there would have been many deaths including myself.

- Niles, MI, USA

Jan 142009

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 35 mph, the front driver's side tire detached from the vehicle, which included the hub, rotor, and caliper. The contact could not control the vehicle as the tire rolled across the highway and rested on the other side of the road. There were no injuries or crash. The vehicle was towed to a Chrysler dealer, but they did not provide an explanation for the failure. Chrysler offered to pay half of the repair costs. The failure mileage was 68,896.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Sep 272008

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge 1500. While driving less than 70 mph and attempting to make a right turn, the contact heard a loud popping noise. She lost control of the steering wheel and the vehicle drifted to a stop. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and she repaired the wheel hub inside the rotor. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 116,000.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Feb 012005

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The vehicle has 20 inch tires and the wheels are unstable. While driving 65 mph over bumps in the road, the vehicle veers into another lane. The dealer stated that nothing is wrong with the vehicle. The current mileage is 60,279 and the failure mileage was unknown. Updated 02/01/08. Updated 02/01/08

- Pleasant Grove, AL, USA