2005 Dodge Ram 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

May 132016

Ram 1500

Getting off the off ramp I could not stop in a second vibrations started another car in that car went to another car with a pregnant girl...... I have asked over and over for help and costs are killing my business and had brake problems etc. You guys please help me here...?

- Washington, DC, USA

May 182016

Ram 1500

I am writing to warn you of a very dangerous problem with your remanufactured brake caliper part # LE5383 purchased from a Napa parts dealer in ann arbor, mi by main street motors. I had two of these calipers installed on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck at main street motors on May 18, 2016. The left front caliper failed immediately, within the first couple of times I applied the brakes. I was able to get it back to main street motors before running out of brake fluid and crashing, luckily.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Apr 192016

Ram 1500

The truck is falling apart. The welds are coming apart & the whole body is rotting faster than I can fix it. I will not be able to get another inspection sticker. I have replaced the transfer case, water pump, serpentine belt & pulleys, rear drive shaft, upper & lower ball joints, tyrods and the whole brake system. The truck needs to be recalled.

- West Newfield, ME, USA

Oct 122015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 35 mph, the contact applied the brakes and the vehicle drifted backwards and the rear end locked up. The contact applied the emergency brake. The contact researched a recall related to the rear axle pinion nut. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and then to the dealer. The vehicle was diagnosed, but not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Stanfield, AZ, USA

Jan 072016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the rear brakes locked and the drive shaft separated while driving 55 mph. The vehicle was towed to a local garage. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V796000 (rear axle pinion nut) after the failure occurred. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Florida City, FL, USA

Jun 242015

Ram 1500

The frame on my Dodge Ram has broken welds on both sides of the frame where the lower control arms mount to the frame. They have failed due to manufacturing defects during the welding process. The truck has never been wrecked, driven off road, or done any towing. Dodge refuses any assistance in replacing the frame because it has aged out of their warranty. The truck has 74,138 miles on it and is not drivable without a new frame. I had the truck in twice under warranty service for drivability issues under braking and steering over bumps. Neither time were the cracks in the frame found or addressed. Every time the brakes are applied, the steering wheel shakes uncontrollably and is unsafe to drive. I found the damage while changing the oil and was about to replace the frt hub bearing assembly on the passenger side since the driver's side had already failed and had been replaced earlier. Contacted Chrysler and was told that my truck had aged out of warranty, but that taking it to a dealer they would be able to find a technical service bulletin that may cover it. I googled tsb's and found one on the 2006 Dodge Ram frames for the exact same area affected on my truck, but Dodge still won't address this issue. I've been dealing with this for over six months and want my truck fixed or replaced.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 112015

Ram 1500

While driving and getting ready to make a right turn the passenger side front tire made a noise and fell off from vehicle, causing me to skid on the axle. Tore up frame, axle

- Granger, TX, USA

Dec 012005

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Since I first bought this truck in 2005 its had a pretty serious problem with stalling out when coming to a stop, and even worse, sometimes mid turn while moving. This is a very dangerous issue since loss of control is eminent in this type of incident. Along with this stalling out, the truck has a rough idle/surging idle issue when at a stop. Ive tried all types of repairs, and spent alot of money trying to fix this issue with no avail. I took it into Dodge after I first bought the truck and they said they could not recreate the problem and everything was fine. I took it in again and they cleaned the throttle body. Still same issue. Now ive replaced, out of my own pocket, the egr valve, throttle body itself, evap purge valve, and have tried a list of other remedies. Still not fixed. After a quick search of many different Dodge Ram club online forums this is a very very very common issue with these trucks, and all of us owners are fed up. Dodge wont take responsibility for this serious issue, and unfortunately people may die because of this. Please help us!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 302014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I purchased my 2005 Dodge Ram used in 2010 with 74,000 miles. Shortly after I purchased it the truck would die when coming to a stop, no power steering, no power brakes. Well I took it to 3 different dealerships to try and get an explanation after I replaced the iac valve and cleaned every piece of the induction system including all sensors and the throttle body. I reset the ECU and started the truck and let it warm-up for 10 minutes before my test drive. This fixed the problem for 2 days then the rough idle started again and it died at the top of the street. I have been dealing with this issue for 3 years now and someone needs to be held accountable I have had 3 different dealerships look into the problem and I have tried to work it out through private mechanics. In my search for a resolution I have a documented expense well over $1937 and I still have to live with the stress of knowing my truck could die causing a serious accident. At this point I am considering selling the truck for lack of an affordable remedy. Upon researching my problem I have found hundreds of similar stories from people having the same issues as I am, please help us resolve this issue and hold the manufacturer responsible for a potentially fatal engineering flaw!

- Olathe, KS, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

This is an ongoing and old problem with this vehicle. When attaining minimum speeds of 40 or 45mph, applying the brakes causes a vehicle shudder. Its almost like the vehicle is hopping. It causes operator to bounce in seat and is a safety issue as to control. Researching problem online I have discovered other complaints. Replacing brake pads and rotors solves the problem only temporarily. Having brakes checked at mechanic during this issue failed to find fault, and indicated ample thickness on brake shoes. Issue has caused a great vehicle maintenance expense due to frequent brake replacements.

- Carencro, LA, USA

Mar 062014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

When I slow down it just stalls out on me. Its always restart.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Mar 052013

Ram 1500

Another vehicle cut in front and braked for red light causing me to "lock up" the brakes. The truck has rear ABS which kept the rear wheels from "locking up". vehicle accelerated during heavy braking which caused the collision. About 50 feet of brake marks were left on the road surface from the front tires. In a separate incident, a vehicle suddenly merged from left side of road causing me to swerve to the soft shoulder on the right. Truck had come to a complete stop when the right rear wheel started to spin. It spun for about 10 seconds before it stopped. Tire dug into the soft shoulder and left a spray of dirt behind the truck.. have been searching for a facility to test the braking system. It appears related to the stalling while stopping problem.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jun 052013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving home from the mayo clinic from a heart dr. Appt. I felt a strange motion in the truck and went to pull over on the interstate when the differential locked up causing the truck to skid to a stop. Had it towed to a Dodge dealer where I could get it repaired. First it was $1700 to put in a junkyard rear, then it was $2350 and $2450 if I wanted a rebuilt.I then received a call it would be another $600 because the brakes locked up with the rear end.the truck was a year past warranty but only had 50000 miles on it. Called Chrysler and they said there was nothing they would do because the garage used Napa parts.

- Baraboo, WI, USA

Jun 082013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I was pulling away from a drive up window and the truck died. Lost power steering and brakes. This is not the first time this has happened and luckily I have not been driving fast when it has happened.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 042013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving my 05 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 traveling on the interstate doing 55 mph when I heard a whining noise that grew real loud. As I attempted to pull over to the median the truck locked up and skidded to a stop just missing the guard rail. I got out and looked under my truck and saw the drive shaft had broken off from the rear end/differential and oil was pouring out the differential casing from the exposed hole where the drive shaft had been attached. If this had happened on the drive lanes I think there would have been a collision with other vehicles that may have been behind me. I had it towed to the repair shop that had repaired the rear end in 2010 at a cost of $906.93. The truck would not roll forward on to the tow truck but would roll backward making it difficult to load on the tow truck. I went online and read many complaints about the same problem I am having. These complaints are not year specific and covered vehicles ranging from the late 90S and practically all 2000 model years. Some of the divers nearly had accidents. Apparently Dodge is well aware of this on going problem but refuses to make a recall. I think someone is eventually going to get hurt or killed. I for one am getting rid of it as soon as it is fixed. I don't feel safe driving it anymore. Some people have had repairs for this problem only to have it reoccur shortly after the repair. Thank you for your time and assistance...updated 01/07/15 the pinion seal and axle seal were replaced

- Palmyra, IN, USA

Feb 212013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

1st incident 2/21/13: Driving on a 4 lane highway w/center left turn lanes at 40 when a car cut across from the right to make a left turn. Hit the brakes causing the front to lock up (rear ABS only). Truck started stopping, but continued moving forward against the front brakes and into the car. Truck left unusually long skid marks. Police and insurance reports made. Damaged to front bumper. 2nd incident 3/5/13: Driving at 40 on curved section of highway with 2 lanes in direction I was going and 1 lane on opposite side separated by large grass medium when a car pulled out from the left hand U-turn in the medium. Hit the brakes causing the truck to slide straight through curve onto grass shoulder. Truck came to complete stop and heard the right rear spinning in the dirt. Put my left foot on the brake to hold truck from moving. I checked to make sure I was not on the gas. It spun for several seconds before stopping. Truck left normal length of skid marks. Did not smell burnt brakes in rear; possibly not engaged at all. I am currently looking to see if I can test the braking at a local dirt track to verify this issue, and to have outside observation of the occurrence. I have replaced all four disk brakes with high performance brake rotors and brake pads to assist with better braking in the last week. I will post the results here once I can arrange the test. Have not had any problems with normal or heavy braking; only emergency braking. First incident resulted in an accident, luckily no injuries. The drive wheel was in the dirt for second incident; there was not an accident. This is a very serious safety issue, and may be the cause of other accidents and not reported because driver could not realize it happened. It appears to be the problem where the ABS system causes excessive heat build up resulting in computer malfunction.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 072007

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that when releasing the emergency brakes he noticed that the plastic cover fracture. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the plastic was very weak and the break lever release cover needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they repaired the vehicle under warranty the first 3 times. The failure mileage was approximately 12,186 and the current mileage was approximately 49,779.

- Metford, OR, USA

Aug 032012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Engine stalled without warning while traveling at slow speeds causing loss of brakes and steering control. This has happened numerous times while both traveling straight and turning. It has been a very dangerous issue to deal with.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152010

Ram 1500 10-cyl

The front brake will lock up on one side causing the rotor, caliper hub and wheel to become so hot it starts smoking. After it cools of it will release the locked up caliper and become drivable again. This will be fine for a while and then the other side will do the same thing.. this has to be very dangerous overheating all the front end components to these very high temperatures. There have been others with this problem on a forum ( ) I am a member of. There needs to be a Dodge recall on all the effected overheating parts before it causes a major accident if it hasn't already. The other problem is the power steering hoses keep leaking or blowing out. This is another real hazard to safety. Have you ever tried to steer a 3 ton truck with no power assist, not easy by any means. These two things are an accident waiting to happen and should be corrected by Dodge before someone gets killed.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA