6.5

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

OK, I BOUGHT MY TRUCK USED, WAS TOLD BY THE DEALER THAT THE TICKING COMING FROM THE ENGINE WAS FROM THE FUEL INJECTORS. HMM, NOT, I DON'T THINK . HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH BUT DOESN;T SEEM LIKE ANYONE REALLY HAS HELPED ME. I PERSONALLY THINK IT MAY BE A LIFTER ISSUE AND IT IS AN ONGOING ISSUE WITH THE 2005 RAM 1500 WITH THE 4.7.

THIS SHOULD BE AN ISSUE THAT THE DEALER OBVIOUSLY KNOWS ABOUT IF ITS HAPPENING WITH A LOT OF THE 05 RAMS WITH THE 4,7. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION PLEASE. I LOVE MY RAM AND WOULD LIKE TO ENJOY IT THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE, QUIET, NOT SOUNDING LIKE A DIESEL.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 032012

Ram 1500 Daytona 5.7L Hemi V8

My 2005 dodge ram 1500 hemi daytona started making a ticking noise that was consistent with the RPM's and when i came to a complete stop it was very choppy making the whole truck bounce up and down, similar as to if I was about to run out of gas. I initially thought it was just an exhaust leak like a loose clamp or something since i have a Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system. So i Brought it to my local mechanic and he ran some tests on it and determined it was a coil pack problem and replaced the misfiring fuel injector. Then he said after that the ticking and other problems were still there so he ran some compression checks on it and determined there was an issue with a cylinder and he explained to me it would be easiest to replace the whole motor to fix the problem since he would have to completely take apart the motor anyways to get to the blown cylinder.. This seemed a little outrageous and extreme for such a small problem, especially considering the truck has only 58k miles on it. Do you think this a legitimate problem and replacing the motor would be alright or do you think i am getting scammed? Also do you think my cat back exhaust and Ram air intake has anything to do with the problem? Any help or advice would be great. Thank You!!

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Feb 232011

Ram 1500 5.7L

read multiple complaints on here about stalling and surging. Same issues here. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the 02 sensors and ecm. 2 days later, ck engine lt was back on .soon stalling and surging problems again. decided maybe i could live with it.now only stalls occasionally... but driving home tonight,suddenly ck gauges lt comes on and engine is ratteling like a 62 rambler. I look at oil pressure gauge and 0.WTF!?. Checked the oil and its full and clean. I use syn oil and change it every 5000 or so. only got about 67000 miles. anybody had any experience like this with this engine? It seems like the oil pump just had a catostrophic failure. This engine always had a small annoying tick, but i was told repeatedly that was the injectors ticking. now i wonder...

- , Roseville, MI, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

I bought my truck Used w / 38k miles on it and the engine was quiet. When I got the oil changed I started hearing this ticking sound and so I took it back to the dealer and they said that they don't handle those issues and that I will have to make an appointment with the Dodge dealer to have them do the diagnostics test at my cost which I think was not cool. I was told that that is how Hemi engines sound and that nothing was wrong. But there are times when I am next to other trucks exactly like mine and I listen to their engine and it sounds quiet. I don't even drive my truck anymore and when my wife drove it the other day she called me saying that the Check engine light started blinking.What is up with that? I was told that the Hemi requires a tune up every 30k miles but I'm only at 56k. If anyone has a solution please advise!

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA