2005 Dodge Ram 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 072016

Ram 1500

An electrical fire started under hood of vehicle. No signs of anything being wrong before the fire and vehicle had been parked and sitting in driveway for at least 24 hours before fire was seen and reported to police and fire dept. Nobody was home when this happened.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Aug 022014

Ram 1500

Paul D lamb III contact number 603-944-0559 please contact me so I can describe what happened..

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 072010

Ram 1500

A recall was posted for 2006 and newer Dodge Ram for front wheel bearings. My 2005 had both front wheel bearings fail at less than 90,000 miles. Same manufacture of wheel bearings. Secondly, a recall was also given for a failed electrical switch pertaining to ignition switch and heater blower motor. Mine also failed in a cloud of smoke and smell of burning electrical component. I have both failed components, currently and would like to be included in these recalls.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Aug 132015

Ram 1500

The spare tire hoist can become inoperable, not allowing you to raise nor lower the spare tire. However, over time, the cable begins to slowly lower the spare to which the spare begins to rock back and forth. Eventually, the cable gives way and breaks, allowing the tire to fall off. In my case, I had never been able to raise or lower my spare tire, nor had the Dodge dealership or any alternate places that replace tires. It was almost 9 years when I noticed that the spare tire had lowered and was rocking back and forth, however, the hoist was still inoperable, and the tire had not lowered enough to access the mounting bolts for the hoist nor to cut the cable. Several months ago, I was driving on the highway at 75 mph when I noticed all the cars behind me swerving every which direction.....and then I noticed a tire bouncing on the highway in front of them. I had my suspicion so I immediately pulled over to check on my spare just to find that it and part of my hoist were missing. Luckily, nobody got hurt as rush hour was just under way so the number of cars on the road was slightly less than normal. Throughout the entire time I've owned this truck, I've never been able to use my spare (and I've had a fair share of flats but have luckily been close enough to friends or family that could help). On every instance where I contacted the Dodge dealership about this problem, they merely told me I could pay them to fix it. Why should I pay to fix something that never worked from the moment the vehicle was purchased?

- Kyle, TX, USA

Mar 172016

Ram 1500

The truck stalls when slowing for a stop or idling around a corner. That is a safety issue because the steering and brakes are locked up at that point. Whether it's idling in a traffic jam, coming to a stop, or idling around the corner, you will suddenly have no power but everything else is on. Not the engine and it was so smooth that you don't notice until you can't brake or steer. There are hundreds of people with this year make and model that are having the same problem. I understand there was an investigation but it was closed without resolution. Case number EA05018. This is a growing problem and we the people are spending hundreds of dollars to replace parts that are just part of a trouble shooting issue and most of us still have the problem. And it's the same for all of us. Please relook at this problem. If I were the only one I could understand but I am not. We love our trucks but this is a serious problem. Last night I was in a double turn intersection when it shut off. Thankful I was in the outer lane and hit the median and not another car. If you read on car complaints.com under 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 stalls/shuts down while driving, you will see that this is a serious problem and there are loads of people. They think the repair fixes but it does not and the issue does not happen all the time. It started occasionally but now it's almost daily and multiple times a day. Please please help! this started in 2009 when we bought the truck and has progressively gotten worse. Not sure if previous owner had issue but it may be why it was traded in.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Mar 022016

Ram 1500

I was told possibly that the exhaust manifold bolts on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 cold be on a recall list

- Walton, IN, USA

Dec 102015

Ram 1500

I called my local Dodge dealer about the P77/NHTSA 14V-796 recall notice that I received in the mail to determine if they would be able to assist me. When I talked with an employee there they told me that they did not have the part in for the possible defect and she did not follow up with setting up an appointment to inspect my vehicle to determine if I needed the appropriate work done. She did tell me that the dealership would contact me when the part arrived. It is going on 2 months now and I received no call back from the dealership. I recently received my second notification in the mail regarding the safety recall regarding specific Dodge Ram.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jul 202015

Ram 1500

Being to take of this since June of 2015.has to do with the recall on pinion nut keep calling dealer ship here in alamogordo never returned my I want to be abel to take care of this at another delear ship.if I can take it to ruidoso or in el paso tx.my email is mascrivner@yahoo.com.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Oct 102015

Ram 1500

My complaint is with the area Dodge dealerships: Bergland & bill craft, I emailed and or called both of these dealerships and nether returned my call or email to set up the repair for the recall. I left voicemail and got back an auto reply email. I not sure how many times I am to attempt to set up the appointment... the below date of when this happened is only an approximate date...

- Vinton, VA, USA

Nov 162015

Ram 1500

I was driving on the interstate with my family enroute to South Carolina when I started hearing a noise and felt a little vibration on the pedal at first I thought I may have ran over something. Then all of a sudden I just heard a boom and the truck just started fish tailin. Luckily there werent any vehicles around me at the time, I was able to get to the side of the shoulder. When I looked under the vehicle the drive shaft had come completely out and there was smoke and oil leaking. When we got the truck to the shop and they looked it over the pinion had come completely a loose the seal was shot and chunks of the gears inside was mangled, the transfer case was cracked from the impact of when the drive shaft came apart. I also learned that the truck had a recall on it for this same problem. I managed to get the truck towed back to NY to my mechanic shop. Where we have been trying to get Dodge to do something enregard to the repairs. What we have been told was that the recall doesnt include my month! my year make and model but not my month. Yet I have the same issue as what is stated in the recall.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Nov 062015

Ram 1500

My 2005 Dodge Ram srt-10 viper truck engine stalls/shuts down without warning, no codes, no errorlights while driving...I have a problem with my truck stalling out when parking or going through slow turns. In the middle of an intersection¿while an emergency vehicle was approaching, it died and I slowly drifted over to an adjacent curve.. the most recent was on 11/06/15, but it has happened at least 5 times over the past 5 months. All lights and the radio remain on and it starts right back up, however my steering and brakes lock up which is a huge safety concern. When the steering wheel is turned my rpms drop dramatically and it sounds like the truck wants to stall. Started surging and stalling so in it went in again, this time they replaced the iac module...and then they thought it might be the fuel pump'so they tested the fuel rail and claim that it was losing 5% of its torque¿but not to be concerned¿then they thought it might be the map sensor¿but no !...again with no indication, no error lights; and no codes¿ ¿ and the dealership mechanics still can not get it to run without shutting off once you step on the accelerator it dies¿ to dealer for checkup. Could not and can not find the problem. And they charged me $967 why can¿T Fiat-Chrysler save face when they know a part problem exists and just fix it right without ripping off customers ? the mopar mechanics have had my truck since November 6th, 2015, (over two months ) and still can not figure out what is wrong with it¿.. ¿they want me to pay more money while they explore different options they claim that the Fiat-Chrysler coprporation engineers want them to try¿ ¿really..ss you are asking the consumer/customer to fund the education of your mechanics¿Fiat-Chrysler really "???" please recall these trucks before some-one or some-family gets killed please..please !!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 022015

Ram 1500

Purchased the truck new in 2005. Wife was driving to store when engine shut off. She turn around and drove 1.5 mile back to house and parked truck. Truck had plenty oil, but was leaking oil from passenger side valve cover had a small hole. Pulled covers, both heads and found head cast had broke off on passenger side. This caused hole in valve cover. Bottom of both head casting had damage to valve seal which should be pressed into place. Three of the seal pop out about 1/4 inch. And one of the seal on driver side head casting cracked cylinder head. This should not happen. I never seen this type of damage to headers. I think the casting if flawed. Before taking the valve covers of, I thought if I get another valve cover might be ok. So I searched for a valve cover. I called two Dodge dealer part department. Withnell Dodge in salem and mark thomas motors in albany Oregon. Both dealer parts department told me they had over 60 back orders for this valve cover. That's over 120 back order for valve covers. I suspect other truck owners thought all they needed was to replace the valve cover and that should fix their problem. I also suspect the flaw in the header cast is the problem and is causing a chain reaction to occur when parts of the casting break off, hit the valve cover, which can cause the truck to overheat, and result in damage to cylinder head, rings, and header, all because the head casting was molded with an inherited flaw. Nothing make sense as to why truck had problem with header, except bad cast for header. I hope your organization can do something about this matter. I put less than 15,000 miles per year on this truck, and I should be enjoying this truck for trouble free. With Dodge history of failure to notify vehicle owner about inherited problems with past, I do not expect Dodge to take responsibility for what I have experienced.

- Dallas, OR, USA

Aug 032015

Ram 1500

2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Consumer writes in regards to unsatisfactory customer service at dealership. The consumer was unsuccessful at getting an appointment, to get the recall rectified. He was told to call back in three to four months to see if the part was available. Ultimately, he made an appointment at another dealership, which was further away. The consumer did not reference a specific recall.

- Rankin, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Ram 1500

Drivers side rear door lock is stuck in the locked position and will not open. Since it's the rear door there is no key hole to unlock the door. Door will not open with remote door opener either.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

May 082007

Ram 1500

Have had numerous problems with tires. Separating on 3 tires out of set of 4. the next 4 tires developed bubbles and had to be replaced as well. Truck bounces down the road. Speed doesnt seem to be a factor but more obvious at higher speeds. Truck has stalled on me numerous times crossing railroad tracks which are very close to my house. I finally got the nut recall after numerous calls to dealer. I was told no parts. Finally it was done 2 weeks ago. While there I inquired about the airbag recall. I was told they werent aware of it, than they said we have to order parts. I was hoping the nut recall would solve the bounce issue it has not. I am afraid yet another set of tires will be yet a waste of more money I dont have, and still scared of what may happen when what is causing the bounce finally breaks. This is a 2005 Dodge 1500 quad cab 2 wheel drive vehicle I bought new. It replaced a Dodge sport quad cab 4X4 which was stolen, also bought new in 1998. I never bounced in my 4X4 which I would think would be a rougher ride. Brakes are also a issue. Front brakes to be exact. They go through them quick. At least 5 sets, some with rotors on a vehicle which just turned 80,000 miles. These are the heavy duty ones as well. I was hoping they would get better milage. Doesnt seem to matter.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jul 192015

Ram 1500

Vehicle shut off unexpectedly while I was slowing down to a stop.

- Mehoopany, PA, USA

Jul 032015

Ram 1500

Received a recall notice for rear axle pinion nut in Jan 2015. Dodge dealerships do not have the parts within 100 mile radius. Received another recall notice July 2015 still no parts available. Are they waiting for severe incidents to occur?

- Young Harris, GA, USA

May 182015

Ram 1500

Wheels make banging noise steering god

- Ludinggton, MI, USA

Mar 012015

Ram 1500

In March 2015 I received a letter stating that my truck had a recall involving the rear axle. As soon as I received this notice, I stopped driving my truck. My truck is my family's only means of transportation. Since I don't have another vehicle, I have been forced to borrow my parents and siblings vehicles. I even have been forced to take the bus. I feel that this recall should have been resolved already. Is there anything that can be done to help me with this situation? I do not feel comfortable driving my family or myself around in this vehicle. Thank you.

- Montesano, WA, USA

May 042015

Ram 1500

I have a recall and now the rear of truck sounds nocking or catching up. I have numerous time's called all dealers in my area and Chrysler group llc in auburn hills mi 48321.still with no results, all are saying their no parts anyware, I have this recall at least six months and still no parts.

- Cumberland, RI, USA