2005 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 192011

Ram 1500

While backing out my driveway I went to turn the wheel and there was a shudder, I went to put the brakes on, no brakes then the engine died. Making me hit a parked vehicle.this happens on and off and should be addressed, before there is an injury or death.come on Dodge fix this!!!!!

- Shirley, MA, USA

Mar 022009

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that she would hear a rumbling noise coming from the front driver side tire when driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where the contact was informed that the front driver side tie rod needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred approximately three months later. The vehicle was taken back to the independent repair shop where the front driver's side tie rod was again replaced. The failure recurred approximately two years later. The vehicle was not yet taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no assistance. The contact was also informed of a recall but the recall only pertained to later model year vehicles. The failure mileage was 40,883 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Mar 222010

Ram 1500

My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd short bed standard cab with 3.7L engine power steering is leaking fluid. Truck has 53,000 miles. It was leaking a little when I purchased the truck used in September 2007 at 43,000 miles. I have seen other reports from individuals having the same issue. Dodge should recall and correct this issue prior to power steering going out and causing saftey issue.

- Medina, OH, USA

Nov 132009

Ram 1500

Steering failed, truck was having a thumping on right front area, but it was not the tire, it cause me to lose control while steering, the truck was totaled, it rolled over three times, the front driver airbag did not deploy, was saved by my seatbelt, the truck rolled to the right hitting on the passenger side, it had only 44,000 miles, I noticed this problem and took it to be inspected but nothing showed up as it was blamed by the person who drove it as my tires being rough, I already owned them for over a year with about 5000 miles on them and it was not the tire, it was faulty linkage for steering, caused loss of control and this truck was highly maintained, and before I could get a second opinion it was wrecked, as other drivers and other Dodge trucks have faulty steering linkage problems, this will cause more accidents for other owners, after the wreck I could see that the linkage was damaged but since it rolled three times the insurance company can not say what exactly cause the sudden loss of steering, the linkage components are not right Dodge needs to recall these trucks.

- Balmorhea, TX, USA

Feb 192010

Ram 1500

Rack and pinion leaking which is connected to the power steering pump, which uses the same fluid as the rack and pinion--both have to be repaired and replaced. The tie rods are broken and connected to the rack and pinion fluid, which ultimately led to the tierods breaking due to fluid leakage. We are also having problems with the transmission, not shifting into 4 wheel drive--our prior vehicle was also a Dodge Ram 1500, in which we had tie rod issues and major automatic power transmission and power steering fluid issues. Truck just purchased and currently in the shop pending replacement tie rods, power steering pump replacement and any other fluid issues they find to get the components working in synergy.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Dec 152009

Ram 1500 6-cyl

I have two 2005 Dodge Ram trucks and both have started leaking power steering fluid in cold weather. Looked on line at different forums and found this is very common problem or defect. Want to know if this is a widespread defect, then why has not Dodge been required to fix?

- Villa Hills, KY, USA

Jun 172009

Ram 1500

2005 Dodge Ram developed severe front end wobble at all speeds known as death wobble. Truck was purchased as certified pre-owned and bought extended warranty but they will not fix it. They told me shocks were bad and I replaced them at my own cost and it still continues to get worse every mile more.

- Woodstown, NJ, USA

Feb 042009

Ram 1500

Vehicle steering shudders/shakes when making slow turns as well when maneuvering forward/reverse when parking unit. Feel the shudder on drvr. Side primarily. Steering wheel & vehicle itself shudder. Does this continually when driving every time vehicle is used. Does it when you turn from a complete stop.

- Crandall, TX, USA

Feb 022009

Steering rack.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Apr 102008

Ram 1500

The rack and pinion went out on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 on the highway almost causing me to crash. Everywhere I look online and the dealer said they almost all go out. This is very dangerous I pull a trailer all the time and it is always in the back of my mind. I just cannot figure out why they haven't recalled it with so many complaints.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Jul 232008

Ram 1500

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. This truck was bought new of the lot and has a steering issue. The steering wheel vibrates while turning at slow speeds like parking and whatnot. I have had the truck to the dealer twice for this and am told that it is common on the 2005 trucks. I was told that the dealer could not do anything to fix it and they could not get authorization from Chrysler to do anything. This truck is under full warranty and with this issue I can't sell it or anything. This is a $35,000 lemon as far as I'm concerned, I also own a 2003 Ram and have no issues with it. One more thing the dealer told me that this issue is due to the size of the tires that are factory installed. I have tried to call there customer service and all I get is some one in india that just can not do anything for me. And will not let me talk to some one here in America. Can you help me before the warranty runs out?

- El Cajon, CA, USA