8.1

2. replace housing...not just door (7 reports)
  3. have to live with this crap for now (3 reports)
  4. new part 40$, case and door, modify coupling with epoxy (2 reports)
  5. recall needed (2 reports)
  6. replace with new (2 reports)
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 1500:

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 152009

Ram 1500 Hemi

No heat to driver's side floor. It makes difficult to drive in the winter.

- , Kent, Il, USA

Jan 032012

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

well dealership fixed the blend door under extended warr and i had to pay 100 ded, but the bad part is they blew my headlamp fuse in the process, i picked up the truck in the morning not needing the headlamps until after work, upon calling the dealer they told me to bring it back extended should cover it and i have a 100 dollar deduct, i told them they broke my headlamps and i would not pay another deduct the tech should pay it for breaking it, finally they fixed it like it should have been in the first place and didn't even offer any help for driving back and fourth taking a vacation day to repair the truck and the blend door should be a recall with all the problems i've seen, dodge please take pride in your product and help the guy that loves his dodge truck

- , Avon, Indiana, USA

Jan 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

The blend door has broken 5 times, each time replaced by mechanics to only break a year later. Both front hubs have been replaced and the radio. What a piece

- , Pearisburg, VA, USA

Dec 152010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Purchased car from Carmax Irvine.Salesman immediately noticed the lack of airflow from the vents , and the blower motor working so hard so a due bill was made to fix the problem.

Brought truck in on day 2 of ownership and service manager tried to tell me this was normal. They had another 2006 Ram on the lot but he would not compare it to mine for reference. So I went to Riverside Carmax and tried their 2006 Ram and airflow was normal (good) and no blower motor vibrations.

When service manager finally agreed to fix it , he said he couldnt guarantee the airflow could be fixed. I had already researched the fix online and knew it was over $800 !<p>During the time it was in service I found a different car to buy from another dealer , so I used my 5 day return policy and got my money back.<p>The truck was supposed to take a week and a half to repair but after I bailed on the purchase , they put it back on the lot as "for sale" available !!!<p>Do not purchase this truck as it has not been fixed.They are hoping the next sucker wont notice. 1D7HA16266J195769

- , Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 312009

Ram 1500 SRT 4.7L

Amazing, every problem I've had with this truck, I find hundreds with the same. I kept noticing that my feet freeze in the winter. FINALLY, I realized that no heat comes from the floor vents. Been going on for a couple years. With the economy...can't really part with $$$$'s to fix. I'm mechanical but not enough to pull the entire dash. If ANYONE has a way to rig it let me know or post it. Damn shame...really want to buy American..love the look of the Dodge but I'm getting tired (and poorer) supporting them. Wish they would support us (and their product)like we did them when they didn't have the money to continue. If they would at least make some effort I would meet them somewhere in the middle.. Guess that wasn't part of the Obama bailout.

- , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Nov 052010

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9

Shouldn't have to repair a piece of plastic for $1000. At least the design should allow for a simpler repair for poorly designed components that even after replacing will likely fail again.

- , Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Dec 102009

Ram 1500 SLT/Bighorn 5.7L

Did the work myself, Not too bad, just about 4 hrs of time and around 25 bolts/screws. Replace the coupler with the blend door. The dash will hinge onto the seats and access is there. Overall, it is a sucky deal. I live in Colorado, so I had to get this fixed. Otherwise deal with the inability to get hot air... Cost to have dealer do it was about 500.00.

If you have any mech ability, do it yourself.

- , Loveland,, CO, USA

Jul 152010

Ram 1500 Sport 3.2L V6

Well, I read that just removing the door would work, so that is what I did. Apparently in the 2006 this is an ongoing issue as there was a body change that year, in 2007 they fixed this issue, of course no recall so you are SOL unless you are still under warranty. After removing the blend door through the fan motor opening it appears to work fine, the only thing I do not have now is "outside air" vs. "re-circulating air" (Max A/C) but it does work. I am calling Dodge to complain and will update.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 052010

Ram 1500 LD 4.7L

went to dodge dealer in kingsland ga it took them two min and the machenic the blend door was broken and it will take 500 dollers to fix it which i dont have the dealer said they had a lot of thes doors to be replaced this year they like it was a funny thing to the .this is been going on for a long since 2000. please help.

- , Folkston, GA, USA

Aug 152009

Ram 1500 Night Rider Hemi

The first indication of the problem was when I put the blower on full, and the whole dashboard vibrated like hell. Eventually found out that a broken part had worked its way into the fan housing. Guess I am lucky that it did not take out the fan olso. Took it to the dealership in San Jose after 8 months of saying screw it, to be told it was a common fault and it is 6-7 hours labor as the entire dash has to come out. This pissed me off even more as the entire dash was out after the truck was 2 weeks old to fix a "whistle" as a grommet in the bulkhead was not installed correcly and at speed the air blew through and made an annoying whistle. The dumb ass service guy at the dealership where I bought it told me to lower one window to equalize the pressure in the cab, yeh right moron. Never went back to that dealership for services etc. Now the heater problem is fixed, for good I hope and I am going to piss and moan to as many agency's as I can.

Update from Jul 20, 2010: I made a complaint to Dodge, and after three days of deliberation they called back and said "sorry we can't help you, the truck is out of warranty". Go figure eh? I did not expect them to pay for the whole thing but a sorry and yes it is a problem, how about we give you a free service or oil change would have been nice. Have asked an attorney friend of mine what it takes to start a class action suit, or does anyone know of one going. I am pissed this has happpened, but can live with it, but if it goes again, then my truck will be another Silverado that I previously had for 14 years with zero problems.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 152009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

click to see larger images

blend door breaks blend door breaks

I too had a broken blend door. I researched and saw it was a common problem and I was within the 3 years 36,000 warranty. So I took it into a dealer and they confirmed it was a common problem. Now I bought my truck from a wrecking yard with 7,200 miles on it. It had hit a light pole which barely damaged the front of the truck but came down on the roof caving it in a little. I had it repaired by a professional, it's been a great truck, but has a salvaged title. So the dealer declined the repair due to the title and quoted me $650 for the repair.

I didn't think this was right since the problem had nothing to do with my trucks previous damage. I wrote a letter to Jim Press (the president of Chrysler) with a description of my problem, photos of my truck from the damage, and asked that they cover the repair. It's been about a year and a half and I haven't even gotten a letter back saying I'm out of luck.

I waited about two months after sending the letter and bought the part for $40 and repaired it myself. I haven't had a problem with it since. It's sad they haven't recalled the problem and frustraiting that I didn't even get a reply back. I'm not sure if I will buy another Chrysler product.

The attached pictures are of my repair. One is the new box it's self and the other is just the dash torn down to replace it.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 262010

Ram 1500 Larami 5.7L

Hey, I'm sending this message to all of you with the same (blend door breaks) problem that I have. I strongly believe they should recall this bad design flaw and replace at no cost to us with their newly designed box that has two tabs on it for the blend door to hit not the one tab design that obviously can't withstand the pressure of the door hitting it. They obviously engineered a new box for the 2007 and newer models because there are zero complaints for this problem. This is the biggest defect with the 2002-2006 models especially 2006. Please take the time to do the following steps as I have and if you have any other ideas,please let everyone know so we can put the pressure on Daimler Chrysler to finally own up to THEIR mistake and fix THEIR poorly engineered trucks. This is what I've done so far(remember POWER IN NUMBERS) the more complaints the better,(1) call Daimler Chrysler @1-800-423-6343 and file a complaint to start, you have to file with them first.(2) call the D.O.T Safety Hot-line 1-888-327-4236 your safety issue is the fact that you cannot control the airflow to the windshield for visibility,(fogging. snow-ice etc...) (3) go to www.nhtsa.gov in the column on the left go to file a complaint. The more complaints they see, the more they will investigate it. Any questions you can e-mail me through carcomplaints.com. Lets all put the pressure on these a holes to own up to their mistake that will cost us between 700-1000$ to fix. Thanks for your help in advance, Kevin

- , Windham, NH, USA

Mar 132010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I can hear the air blowing but almost no air is coming out of the vents. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? how much to have it done at a shop? is it easy to fix myself?

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Mar 022010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Initially I took the truck in and the service tech told me that it's prob just the divert-er, which would cost about 100 bucks. That's the deductible on my aftermarket warranty. He told me that I can just live with it or wait until a few other things went wrong and then bring it back for one big claim. How's that for faith in your product. Anyway, the next day it got real bad. Put the switch on floor and got defrost, put it on defrost and got dash vent. Everything but floor heat....The service tech called and told me that the diverter door was broke and the "proper" was to repair it was to replace the entire box, which involved removing the dash....Holy Crap!! To the tune of 770 bucks!! And it wasn't covered under my aftermarket warranty!! That's 0 for 3!! FML!! It's no wonder the gov't had to bail these worthless boneheads out.

Update from Nov 14, 2010: Had the entire unit replaced to the tune of $770.00 on March 4th of 2010. It is now Nov 11th of 2010 and getting cold. I turned the heater on yesterday and guess what. No heat on the floor. But heat to the defroster. This in on the floor setting......They have to remove the entire dash to make the repairs. Parts came to 73.00 bucks and the rest is labor......There is supposed to be a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the repairs so we'll see if they honor that....This is really starting to irk me....

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

Jan 122010

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

I caled the dealership at 31,800 and told them what was going on. Because it was over 36 months old I had a deductible of 100.00. Hear we are 45 days later, and another deductible. It began to break in June 2009. I just didn't realize it was going till time for heat was upon us. I should have known when the AC was frosting up the windshield in June.. I've never had a Dodge before, and my wife talked me into this. NEVER AGAIN

Update from Oct 17, 2010: Well here I am again and my truck has been in 4 more times for the same thing. Fisrt they replaced the Acuator, Then they replaced the Acuator again. Then after that they tell me their computer said that it was the controls That needed replaced. ( They did that ) That night when I picked up the vehicle. The HEAT/AC agian was not working correctly. Incase you all have lost track, This is now ( 9) times it's been there for the same problem. THEY TELL ME KNOW, They are going to replace Everything ( Including the Houseing)!!! We'll See. I'll keep all of you posted. Rick (NOTE: The Dealership is doining they can. It's not their fault MOPAR buys from crap Suppliers...

- , Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Apr 092008

Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L Hemi

So -20 below 0 for a week is not fun with no floor heat...if any of you call dodge consumer complaints make sure and record the conversation...they promised to pay for the fix of my heater and then decided to never call me and close the case...3 out of 5 people that i know personally that have 04-06 rams have had the same exact problems...i took mine into a dealership while it was still under warranty and the tech tried to tell me nothing showed up on the diagnostics so nothing is wrong...i said "here buddy, i'll show you." nope...if it doesnt throw a code we cant fix it...anyway keep fighting the good fight...write to your congressman start and e-petition and send it to the attorney general of your state...lets cause a sh*t-storm and try to get some of our money back...h@ll, we already bailed out Chrysler...time for some reaping.

- , Bozeman, MT, USA

Nov 032009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Good grief...Dodge. Same old s@#t apparently! My feet are freezing when I drive and my eyes are being cooked out of my head. Went to the local shop and he says "you might want to take this to a dealer because it's an expensive fix and they should have a recall by now". Called Deluca Dodge Haverhill, MA and cool as could be they said: "kind of common, no recall, about a thousand to fix it. I asked; "If they know there's a DEFECT then why no recall?" No recall. So WE have to pay for THEIR defective design. "American business ethic" Don't take responsibility until forced to in court. So... I drove to Port City Dodge in Portsmouth, NH. Much nicer people, very sympathetic to my situation. They told me; "I got a mechanic thats getting pretty good at these and we usually can do it for $600 - $700. I still can't get myself to "clean up" after Dodge. So... I dropped the blower assembly, jammed the recirculation door (that had fallen off) into place with a stick. But I don't know what I'll do with the broken blend door(s). I'll wait for the class action suit. HEY DODGE!!! See you in court.

- , Plaistow, NH, USA

Jul 032009

Ram 1500 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

I see alot of complaints about this blend door breaking, I think I will call the Dodge dealer and find out how to start a campaign. This situation should definatley be a recall. Does anyone else have any advice on how to start a recall. I think you have to get a certain amout of signatures. Not sure.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 172009

Ram 1500 Larami 5.7L

It's obvious there's a recall needed on this problem, so I am going to do some research to find out where to get the ball rolling with a recall. I'm going to start with chrysler ,then the attorney general, and so on. I suggest everyone else should do the same. If anyone has any helpful info on how to start this let us know ,also i will do the same. lets put some pressure on them to eat the cost of a bad design they created and sold to us.

- , Windham, NH, USA

Feb 092007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I love my truck and have had virtually zero problems with it...

However, after reading about all the people with multiple blend door failures, I felt compelled to tell everyone that the reason the blend door keeps breaking is because your dealer is being lazy and not replacing everything (Parts) Chrysler sends to repair this issue. The dealer is supposed to be replacing not only the broken blend door but also the housing that the door fits in.

I can tell you exactly what they are doing .... Because it is "faster" the tech is removing the blower motor and reaching in and pulling the broken door out and forcing the new door up in position without actually replacing the part that is causing the blend door to break (The housing) in the first place.

The new style housing has two tabs on it that the blend door rests against.... The old housing had only one tab on one side of the blend door which causes the door to twist and eventually break.

I have found a lot of techs not willing to take the time to remove the dash to do the job right the first time because they know just replacing the door will work for a short period of time and long enough to allow the dealer to bill warranty all over again when it fails in another 3 or 4 months.

My Blend door broke at 12,000 miles (old style housing) and was fixed right the first time by Lakeland Dodge with the new style housing and has worked flawlessly ever since. My truck now has 35,000 miles

I hope this information is helpful.

- , Lake Wales, FL, USA