2008 Dodge Ram 1500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500:

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012016

Ram 1500

Fuel tank inlet check valve has failed, not allowing fuel to enter gas tank during fill ups at gas station. Under a warranty extension (X49) vehicles between mdh #020108-063023 are accepted although the same part and issue is coming up on my vehicle with mdh # 110821 of the same model year. It is not covered under a very limited recall used to cover for a much larger problem concerning made vehicles manufactured under Chrysler. This is a much larger and widely reported problem than the manufacturer is representing due to the large recall and repair costs it would take on. The consumer must now replaced the whole fuel tank due to the fuel tank inlet valve being molded into the tank, which is extremely costly.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Aug 162016

Ram 1500

Vehicle engine will die/stall when gas is full, especially when going around corners or stopping quickly as in for an emergency. Sometimes just dies when slowing down. Seems to be related to gas moving around in the gas tank when it is full or close to full. When vehicle dies power steering and brakes are also lost making it difficult to maintain control and it quickly becomes a dangerous situation trying to maintain control of a vehicle that weights thousands of pounds while moving along a busy street. Very dangerous.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Jun 162016

Ram 1500

After the fuel tank is filled, when slowing down or coming to a stop the vehicle will stall and die in traffic and is slow to restart. The dash shows a "check gauges" light, however there are no codes thrown. The dealer has said that the fuel tank needs to be replaced but if this is the case is seems that it is a design flaw.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Feb 122016

Ram 1500

The truck has developed a habit of randomly stalling when coming to a stop. This is dangerous at intersections and railroad crossings. I have had the truck back to the dealer several times without success.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Feb 062016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Ram 1500. Whenever the vehicle was filled with fuel, the fuel tank would spew the fuel back out. The contact was unable to add fuel to the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Dec 012012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving the vehicle at various speeds and after refueling, the vehicle would stall. The contact stated that the failure only occurred after refueling, and when the fuel tank was full. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Angleton, TX, USA

Nov 202015

Ram 1500

Got up one morning and started up my truck heard a ticking sound, upon investigation found that a bolt had broken on the driver's side manifold

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Dec 152014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving the vehicle at various speeds and after refueling, the vehicle would stall. The contact stated that the failure only occurred after refueling, and when the fuel tank was full. The contact stated that the fuel tank vent valve failed, which caused fuel to enter the vapor canister under the hood of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000....updated 02/19/16

- West Point, GA, USA

Oct 172015

Ram 1500

On my 2008dodge Ram 1500 I did the recall for the fuel neck twice and still had problem with it then started to working right. Then just last week start having problem with again on 10/17/2015 when I fill up.the gas start to come backup and take 20 min to 1/2 half hour to fill my truck and did it again 10/23/2015

- Hollywood, FL, USA

May 172013

Ram 1500

I was just notified for a problem with my air bag. I had another recall about my gas filler tube, repaired by Dodge. I was not notified about any of the front suspension recalls or problems with the wheel bearing. This part failed about two years ago and I had it replaced but never received a recall. I still have the original wheel bearing part that was given me at replacement. What is going on" is my front end going to fail while my family is driving it" I only have 89,000 miles on my truck. I would like an answer.

- Manchester, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Ram 1500

After filling up to full tank of gas, truck runs rough and stalls at first couple of stops. Almost got run into from behind by another car. This happens every time you fill up gas.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 042015

Ram 1500

Second owner vehicle bought Aug 2015 with approximately 32000 miles. Every time fuel is added to the vehicle, no matter which pump I use, fuel gushes from the filler neck of the vehicle. This occurs even if I fill the tank slowly not using the automatic filler on the pump. If the tank is filled to full it will overflow. Approximately a pint of gasoline shoots out of the filler neck and down the side of the vehicle onto the ground and myself. This is a well documented complaint with these vehicles. Please tell Chrysler to fix this environmental and safety hazard.

- Cleveland , TN, USA

Jul 242015

Ram 1500

I've been a Dodge truck on her for years when I want another vehicle but I have concerns reference my 2008 Dodge with the steering problem I drive the interstate every day I don't feel safe so what door need to do the truck is parked right now

- Weirsdale, FL, USA

Jun 082015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the fuel pump failed. As a result, the vehicle stalled and the power steering seized. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact stated that the fuel gauge stopped working properly after the first fuel pump failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 58,000. Updated 8/27/15

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

May 212015

Ram 1500

While fueling truck on several occasions when the tank is full and the pump shuts off, fuel flies back out of the fill neck. This needs to be fixed asap and Dodge knows about it with all the complaints I see on here. Thank you if you can help get this fixed for me.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Feb 162015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. When refueling the vehicle, the fuel spilled out. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the fuel filler tube needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 012010

Ram 1500

Every time the vehicle is fueled, it overfills and spills fuel down the side of the truck and on the ground. Happens every time. This is a huge safety issue.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Dec 242014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

When trying to fuel my vehicle at gas pump, gas began spewing and gurgling from the tank. I could get no more than around a gallon in the tank without it spewing gas back out all over my truck and the ground. I tried pumping slower, pulling nozzle in and out of tank, and waiting a while. I had no luck. I subsequently tried again two more times a week apart and still can't get gasoline into my vehicle without it spewing out. Upon reviewing this problem online I found a term used for this problem. "spitback." I also found that many Chrysler vehicles have had this problem. Also, it would appear that if it's a certain issue, the entire tank may need to be replaced for a simple little valve which is inaccessible otherwise.

- Conway, SC, USA

Jun 232014

Ram 1500

Driving in heavy traffic the engine stopped. I coasted to the roadside and restarted after sitting about 15 minutes. This has happened about 5 times since then. I took it to an auto mechanic who could find nothing after 1 hour of road testing and truck engine computer readouts.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 012014

Ram 1500

When filling the gas tank, gas will spray out of the filler neck once tank becomes full using pump auto shut off or manually holding the pump handle.

- Red Wing, MN, USA