2009 Dodge Ram 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Aug 242016

Ram 1500

Team: The emergency parking brake levers located in rear rotors corroded & locked up preventing usage. I noticed this because the cable was drooping & banging against the frame.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Aug 012016

Ram 1500

Team: Part # CH52010176-ag has failed. It's the upper part of the emergency parking brake. The truck is garage kept. The brake is not used. Dodge wants $400 to replace it. It's currently banging the frame.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Jun 042015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the electronic stability program and the brake assist system warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic stability program and the brake assist system units needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,152.

- Warren, MI, USA

Apr 302016

Ram 1500

Ever since 50000 miles I have been having issues with the braking performance of the truck. Lately it has gotten scary bad. After a few stops either hard or mere traffic light stops the brakes start to over heat. I start to smell the pads cooking as if I were trying to stop a freight train. I get huge amounts of brake fade and the ABS for the front does not work any more. The rear ABS still kicks on but not as frequently. The stopping distance dramatically increases. After a few stops the brake pedal starts to sink to the floor board. During hard panic stops when the brakes are hot the brake pedal goes to the floor board and I lose most of the braking. I have replaced the brake pads, rotors, and calipers and still no change. I have taken the truck in to the dealer and they said they could not find any issues saying that it was normal or I could have the entire braking system replaced to attempt at solving the problem. Truck is at 142K miles now and still with the same issue got used to driving slow and replacing the brakes ever 30K miles.

- Denair, CA, USA

Dec 302015

Ram 1500

Service brakes, hydraulic:antilock:control unit/module date reported July 09, 2009 NHTSA reference #10030926 tsb reference #tsb-09-041 description: Chrysler: Dodge-approximately 125,182 vehicles, equipped with esp sales code (bnb ) have a condition that may set the ABS, esp, and/or base brake warning lamp on in the cluster with code C2200. My truck, with the above VIN number has experienced this issue. My VIN is not listed on the recall list, but is experiencing the problem listed above as a recall. My truck is experiencing internal module failure as stated by the service technician and the ABS system does not engage. This VIN will require a new ABS module for the ABS to function correctly.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Jul 062015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at approximately 10 to 15 mph approching a traffic light, the brakes were engaged and the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently without warning. The contact was able to regain control of the vehicle and continue driving; however, the vehicle stalled shortly afterwards. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 89,000.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Aug 072015

Ram 1500

There is an issue with my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 ABS sensor, specifically the front passages side sensor. When reaching certain speeds, the ABS break attempts to engage, it also engages when pressing the break slightly. This cause one to correct the amount of pressure applied to the break, and also I have to correct the steering to counter the increase in breaking. When it is time to actually break for an emergency, the truck will not break properly and cause and accident or my life.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Aug 152014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2014 (na) Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to slow down and the pedal extended to the floor. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 14. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sharpsburb, MD, USA

May 042015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While going down interstate my ABS, service 4WD, esp traction control and brake light all came on at same time. When it happened it happened it knocked my cruise off and slowing down. I got back on the gas and started to speed up then all of a sudden my gas became my brake it locked all 4 tires up at high speed. I was very lucky no one was real close to me. I made it to safe place to pull over and check it out and no matter what I did I couldn't get it back going correctly. At first it would do right and get up to 30mph and ease on gas little bit and it would start breaking when touching gas. Has to have it towed. It was very dangerous and I was real lucky not to wreck. I home this problem can get resolved.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Dec 312014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

It got cold on this morning went out to start truck. Started fine like always drove my wife to work soon as I put truck in reverse my ABS light traction control and emergency brake lights all flashed on at once. Took into get brakes checked they said they were fine. Also have four exhaust manifold bolts broke flush off on the block kinda been reading a lot of people have too. Is this going to be a recall?

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Oct 082014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving various speeds, the brake light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the brake light switch, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Jul 022014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the brakes failed. The brake pedal was applied and traveled to the floorboard causing the contact to crash into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed of the incident. The front passenger needed stitches to the forehead which required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,506. Updated 9/18/14 the consumer stated she hit her head on the windshield causing it to crack. The failure caused a four car pile up. The consumer received a concussion and spleen damage. The consumer had home physical therapy. Updated 2/11/2015

- Gloucester Point , VA, USA

May 102014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

With only 37,000 miles on this truck I experienced all of my dashboard lights related to ABS to light up. Had codes read revealing C2200 anti-lock brake module internal and C120D rear traction control prime valve control circuit low. The truck was still drivable up until the right front wheel and wheel assembly overheated and caused my right front disc rotor to overheat and begin to come apart from the inside out and also caused a blown piston sleeve on the break caliper to cause the front wheel assembly to actually overheat with smoke and extreme asbestos smelling heat coming out of the wheel. I have contacted the dealer to ask them if they would help honor what is in fact a vehicle with just 1000 miles more than the 36,000 mile warranty and they refused to take any responsibility for the failure of the ABS system or the blown caliper and rotor. I have since at my expense replaced two front disc rotors and 1 right front caliper and added my second set of new brake pads ( the set that was on there were just replaced and only had about 6000 miles on them.) I have read online that this problem has happened to over 75,000 Dodge Ram pick up trucks and I can not imagine that this is not a safety related issue that at least gets Dodge to acknowledge they have faulty electronic braking equipment.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Mar 122014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that he noticed an exhaust leak. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who advised that the bolts of brakes manifolds were fractured on each side and causing the leak. The dealer recommended having the bolts replaced. The manufacture was alerted of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Jan 202014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I was driving in snow and slippery conditions and as I started to accelerate I could feel that the snow was having an effect on my trucks traction and with that the traction control light illuminated on my dashboard to inform me that one of my drive wheels must be loosing traction. After moving along at highway speeds on dry salt treated pavement the ABS, brake, esp, and bas, light all came on and have not gone off since. I am not sure what effect this will have on my braking ability if traction becomes an issue or if heavy braking is involved.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Jan 042013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Right front tire slid on a patch of ice the size of 2 dinner plates when approaching a parking stall. The rest of the parking lot was virtually free of ice at the time. Multiple warning lights on the dash appeared and the ABS no longer worked. When taken to the nearest mechanic, a failed ABS module was suspected. They could not completely confirm, or repair due to Chrysler proprietary codes. Took the truck to the nearest Dodge/Chrysler dealer, 60 mile roundtrip, where a failed ABS module was verified. Scheduled a return trip 11 days later for repair as the part was not on hand and required ordering.

- Lyons, KS, USA

Feb 252013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While coming to my destination, as I let off the accelerator, I noticed a pull to the side, and felt increased drag without foot on brakes.while exiting vehicle, I noticed a burning/metallic smell from front of vehicle and saw steam/smoke coming from front drivers side wheel.I looked close and saw discoloration of brake caliper and knew that it could not be driven until corrected. Aluminum alloy wheel was too hot to touch. There was no warning that was going to happen(breakdown).these were the original brakes from when purchased new on truck from me.it had 42,227 on it when this occured.was flat-bed towed to Dodge dealer who said both sides needed replacement of rotors, pads, brake hoses, calipers which came out to $1200 which is crazy for the low mileage.dealer acted like this is normal maintenance.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Feb 252013

Ram 1500

The emergency and rubber brake line going from the front to the rear of the vehicle on the drivers side accumulated enough snow to break while driving. Causing loss of control of vehicle and injury.

- Arkansas City, KS, USA

Nov 122012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Esp/bas warning lights came on while waiting in the gas lines. The truck fish tails / skids more frequently on slick / rain roads. The lights did not go out after checking fluid levels, electrical connections, etc. It appears to be a common occurrence for Ram 1500slt trucks after doing an internet search on the condition. I have not contacted the dealer yet in hopes of the condition correcting itself, but will shortly. Also, it appears to be the beginning of rust in the rear body / tow frame of the truck after less than four years.

- Cedar Knolls, NJ, USA