3.7

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500:

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Mar 222014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

On March 22, 2014 my wife stepped on the driver's side nerf bar to enter the truck. Before she could enter the nerf bar pulled completely out of the body of the vehicle and fell to the ground. I immediately took the truck to a dealer for inspection and possible repair. I was informed that the factory would not cover the repair unless there was rust or corrosion on the body. I called Chrysler and the representative told me the same thing. I tried to file with my insurance, but they refused coverage because it was a factory defect. I was able to find a shop to repair the problem. They had to special order six reinforced plates with rivnuts to repair both sides because the passenger side was pulling out of the metal as well. The total cost came to $519.83. The shop said this was a Dodge Ram specific problem that they had seen before.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Nov 292013

Ram 1500

I have rail dust all over my paint. For those of you who don't know what this is it is small flakes of steel that come up off of the railway when a train hits its brakes. Because these vehicles are transported via railroads they all will have this problem. The train hits its brakes and the small flakes of steel are so hot that they embed in the paint. You can remove some of this rust by using a clay bar but you will never get it all removed. I owned a 2008 Ram that had the same problem. It is surface rust and looks horrible. I also have rust on all of my chrome parts as well. This is a huge problem for a truck that is only 3 years old. To have rust all over the truck is ridiculous. Dodge needs to rectify this problem immediately. Other vehicle manufacturers that use the railway have the same problem. Manufacturers that don't use the railway do not.

- Brooklyn, CT, USA

Jan 302013

Ram 1500

After hand washing my truck, I notices significant defect in the chrome parts on the truck. Most of the chrome is covered in corrosion and discoloration. This problem was first noted when the truck was one year old but was very minor. The defects have spread and become a major issue on the bumpers, wheels, steps, and trim. I went to the dealer and met with the regional Chrysler rep who informed me that this would not be covered. They took the stance that the damage was due to something picked up on the road. I am the original owner of the truck and have driven nothing but highways and city streets. This corrosion is concerning for a 2 year old truck with 18000 miles that is well cared for and garage kept. Chrysler needs to stand by its products and ensure a quality product. If a 2 year old truck is covered in rust it's value is significantly reduced.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 012011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

There is rust spots on the bed of the truck coming through the paint. I took into dealer to ask about it, they took pictures and I have not heard back since. Is this a problem with Dodge paint? my truck is white, therefor it is quite noticeable.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Apr 182011

Ram 1500

I noticed that the front bumper on my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 is developing rust on the front bumper. I went to my local Dodge dealer and was informed that this would not be covered under warranty. I contacted Chrysler and was informed to take the vehicle to another dealer which took photographs of the damage. The dealer submitted these photos to Chrysler. Chrysler denied my claim under warranty for the rust on the front bumper. Chrysler stated that it had been rock chips that caused the damage. What seems odd about the chips is that I have normal finish and rust spots. There are no chips with just primer left which you might have when having rock chips. I have never owned a vehicle that started to have problems with rust within a year. This makes me question the long term viability of this vehicle and to question the purchase of this automobile.

- Macomb, MI, USA