$1,000.00

2. replace front end components and ball joints (1 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 2500:

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments

Jan 012012

Ram 2500 4x4 8.1L V10

Bought 2001 Ram 4x4 2500 V10 used. Noticed the poor steering and general looseness right away but planned to replace parts. After fixing by replacing most front end parts (about $1200), the steering was still not quite right with too much wandering. A few thousand kilometers later it's as bad as before repairs made in 2013. I do not dare taking the truck off road, it barely handles no load highway driving.

I am getting a more than a little steamed with Detroit's policy of building vehicles only as good as needed to not clearly break safety laws.

- , Grand Forks, BC, Canada

Aug 062011

Ram 2500 Limited 5.9L

Dodge has installed inferior parts to the front suspension of the 2500/3500 pickup trucks for several years. 2001 to 2006 models I know of for sure. What Dodge refers to as a steering shimmy is known and talked about by consumers as the Death Wobble. Dodge states wrong size tires or air pressure, modifications and worn parts is the problem which causes this shimmy.

I would like to say in Dodge terminology that my "steering shimmy" was just slight enough to cause both the back doors to not open anymore, outside temperature sensor to fail, busted a battery mount bracket, broke my ashtray and sunglasses holder and even cracked the decorative bezel around the instrument panel finally there is a brown stain in my seat and fabric missing the was wedged in there from the grip.

Now this is no shimmy it is a terrifying event that has probably already killed people but they are not alive to tell us the events that lead to them not speaking. I would like to add that I hope the money grubbing CEO sleeps well at night knowing that due to my many years of driving I did not have that head on collision with the school bus full of children on that winding mountain road that would of been caused by them not wanting to spend money fixing the mistake they made or let alone even sending out the real cause and how to fix it properly.

I would like to thank Dodge's CEO and Technicians for not caring about one single American driving your American made product. Also if a person is going to spend 30 to 60,000 dollars for a product that needs a 1 to 2,000 dollar fix because of inferior parts or a faulty design and you wont stand behind it maybe you should go into another line of work like toy trucks where the odds of taking a life is a lot less. Thanks for the disappointment in the only American truck I used to like.

- , Big Bar, CA, USA