1.8

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500:

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments

Oct 162013

Ram 2500

Driving down the interstate going about 75 mph I needed to brake but noticed the truck was not slowing down and the RPM were not reducing, in fact they were increasing. Despite me not having my foot on the pedal the truck would not slow down. I had to use extreme pressure on the brakes and pull off the road to get the truck to slow down. Once slowed if I released pressure off the brakes the truck would start to accelerate. I put the truck into park and the RPM went up to 5000 and stayed. I turn off the truck and turned it back on to find the rpms immediately go up to 5000 rpms. I turned off the truck got out and noticed smoke and heat coming out from my wheels, due to the extreme braking required to stop the truck. Knowing something of cars I decided to look at the throttle body to see if it was jammed open and removed air filter assemble. When I removed the air filter assembly I found the air filter assemble O-ring (the seal that goes between the throttle body and air filter assembly) jammed between the throttle body housing and valve, valve was about 45 degrees from the closed position. Part of the seal was still between the air filter assembly and throttle body housing and the other part was jammed in the throttle body. I reassembled the air filter assembly without to seal and continued to drive. I had to replace the rotors and front brake pads due to the extreme braking of the incident.

- Jasper, GA, USA