2003 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 122013

Ram 2500

November 8, 2013 contact: Eric mayne 248-512-6660 (office) 248-760-2429 (cell) eric.mayne@Chrysler.com statement: Tie-rod assembly November 8, 2013, auburn hills, mich. - Chrysler group llc will conduct three recalls affecting approximately 1.2 million trucks, though as many as 726,000 may not need repair. The campaigns target an estimated 453,000 vehicles with steering-system tie rods that may have been misaligned during assembly or steering-system service. Chrysler group is casting the net wider than necessary to identify those vehicles that require repair. Any found to have suspect tie-rod assemblies will have those components replaced at no cost to customers. One recall will inspect an estimated 842,400 model-year 2003-2008 Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks to find approximately 116,000 repaired with tie-rod assemblies that could become misaligned. This condition could lead to component fracture and steering loss.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Oct 232013

Ram 2500

We have previously filed a complaint for the "death wobble" or violent, uncontrollable shaking that occurs after going over uneven roads. The entire vehicle shakes and there is minimal control of steering when this happens until the vehicle has slowed down to almost a stop. The shaking of the front tires is visible on the outside of the vehicle. Today when I was entering the expressway, which has fresh patches of concrete, no pothole or rough surface, my truck starting shaking the front tires and steering wheel violently (death wobble). I hit the brakes to slow the vehicle down. The vehicle started drifting and I realized I had no steering when I tried to bring the vehicle into my lane. When I was able to bring the vehicle to a stop (remember I am on a 4 lane X-way) I found that the steering bar that goes from the pitman arm to the right tire had broken in half. This is a solid 1inch bar and I had not hit anything to cause this to break.. this could have very easily been a complaint lodged with a death occurring.the shaking is a know issue with Ram 2500 trucks with this same front end design (incl 2013), and the Jeep with the same design front end are now complaining of the same shaking. I have owned this truck for 7yrs now, so I know it has not been in any accidents, over curbs, 4 wheeled or any other driving condition that could have stressed or caused the bar to broke

- Warren, MI, USA

Aug 152013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, he executed a left turn and then he heard a loud abnormal noise. Upon further investigation, he saw that the driver's side tie rod was hanging from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the tie rod would need to be replaced and realigned. He was also informed of a recall under NHTSA campaign number: 11V350000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact his VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 203,000 and the current mileage was 204,500.

- Rigby, ID, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 2500

At approx. 55-60 mph, the truck began to shake very violently. Applied brake, to attempt to get truck under control; we ended up in the ditch. Myself and my daughter were injured. Luckily, neither of us were injured bad, just bumps and bruises. I had a mechanic look at the truck; he stated there is a problem with all Dodge trucks from 2002-2008. The steering gear box and front suspension are at fault. I contacted a local Dodge dealer. They informed me, "Dodge is not at fault and there are no need for any recalls". they did say they could fix the problem, at almost $2700. They would put a new front suspension and steering box. I feel if they will fix the problem, then they know about the problem. I have searched on the internet about the problem and there are hundreds of complaints. I am asking the ntsb to fully investigate this matter.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Jul 062013

Ram 2500

I was driving down the road at approximate 45mph, when I was on a bank and noticed that the truck was hard to steer, the truck had stalled. The truck started back up, thankfully I have a manual, that I did not have to pull off the road (its hard to control a 3/4 ton truck with no power steering), and could just push the clutch in to start the truck. When I got the truck started, it died on me again, started it up, and drove less than a mile, and died again. I went to the store, on my way home had the same issue, as soon as I would slow, the truck would die, thankfully it only happened once on the way home. Ran it for a little in my driveway, and revved the engine, and it die, three times. Did some research and seems the issue may be faulty fuel control actuator ( or known as mprop).

- Gloucester, VA, USA

May 022013

Ram 2500

My vehicle has been having "death wobble" at 55 mph and over and been having the issue for about a year and half and have had the entire front end steering replaced and im still having the issue. Please find a cause I've almost lost control every time it occurs! I would like to be contacted by a Ram field engineer!

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Feb 012013

Ram 2500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving various speeds and depressing the brakes, the vehicle would jerk to the right. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised the contact that they were unable to duplicate the failure. As a precaution, the brakes were replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The current mileage was approximately 104,000. Updated 4/24/13 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired after replacing bushings, power steering gear box, and idler arms. Updated 06/4/2013.

- N Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jul 132012

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Front end shakes violently after hitting a bump or seam in the road traveling at any speed from 40 mph and up. Must slow immediately and almost come to a complete stop in order to regain control of steering.this is known as the death wobble.

- Farmingdale, NJ, USA

Nov 162012

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Any bump or uneven surface at highway or roadway speed caused the steering to shudder uncontrollably. I have replaced the steering dampener and tie rod ends and it still continues. This has caused many close calls and caused me to veer into on coming traffic more than once. Thankfully no wrecks or injuries so far.

- Miles, TX, USA

May 182012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

After going over an overpass (60 mph)and hitting the small bump at the end of it the front end began to shake and vibrate violently and it was almost impossible to steer and hard to slow down quickly. The vehicle had to be slowed to about 20 mph before I was able to regain control. It was shaking so violently that papers on the passenger seat flew on to the floor. This happened again after crossing a bridge with the same result.

- Shelley, ID, USA

Feb 282012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Traveling on us 58 in suffolk, va. I was forced off the road while trying to avoid an accident and hit a very large water filled pot hole. The results was my driver side front tire came off the vehicle after breaking two lug nuts. The truck slid 300 feet down the road until coming to rest in the median. A usaa repair facility replaced the driver side hub assembly. I moved to kings bay ga. And started to notice a vibration in the steering wheel. The vehicle has 35" off road tire on it so I assumed the tires need to balanced. After about three weeks of driving the real problems arose. I developed the "Dodge death wobble". it is a violent shaking of the steering system that forces you to slow to below 45 miles per hour. It is so violent that a 36 year old navy diver chief, who has been to tactical driving schools for the military, has a difficult time holding it on the road. Now, I have had the Dodge dealership disregard the problem, balance the tires, replace the steering dampener, and the problem still exists.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA

Jun 212011

Ram 2500

On a road trip I was driving on a highway at 65 mph and I hit a small light decal that delineates the lines on the road and my truck began to shake violently and so severely that I nearly lost control. Braking did not stop the shaking, not accelerating until it slowed to about 35 mph did stop the shaking. I pulled over immediately because I was terrified that it would happen again. Since I was in the middle of nowhere I decided that I would drive again but at a slower pace. This time I drove at 55 mph and when it hit a tiny bump again it began to shake horribly again. And once again I was stressed beyond belief that I was barely able to control this truck. This continues to happen at high speeds and if there is any ruffness on the road. Please recall these trucks and fix them. I paid alot of money for a truck that I thought would be good quality and now I am stuck with a piece of junk that I cannot drive faster than 35 mph for fear that I will kill myself or someone else. And I refuse to sell this lemon to some other poor soul.

- Mission Hills, CA, USA

May 042012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Traveling at 65mph on interstate, hit slight bump when crossing bridge and the front end started vibrating so much couldn't hardly hold it in the road. The same has occurred 5-6 more times since the first incident. On several occasions, my wife has to come to a complete stop to get it to stop shaking....

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

May 102012

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle began to shake violently and uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but the failure was not able to be replicated. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 91,000. Updated 08/07/12 the consumer stated the same incident has occurred an additional three times. Update 08/15/2012

- Taunton, MA, USA

May 102012

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

We were driving to the store and the vehicle started shaking violently and caused us to go into the other lane. I slowed down to stop, got out looked for some broken part.... did not see anything out of the ordinary. We then proceeded slowly back home and the vehicle just had a continuous vibration, but did not shake violently. I then looked it up on the computer and found others having the same problem. I would really like to know what needs to be done to avoid excess cost but be safe.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

May 262012

Ram 2500

While coming home from work, I hit a bump or pothole with one front wheel, & the front wheels started shaking violently back & forth. The only way I could get it to stop was to slow down. I stopped & looked under the vehicle to see if anything was visibly broken & did not see anything. I slowly sped up again. After hitting another bump, the shaking started all over again & would not stop until I slowed down. This is a very dangerous condition that will get someone killed. I am afraid to let my wife drive the truck with our children, because I don't know what is gonna happen.

- Mooresville, IN, USA

May 122011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Front axle shaking violently. Shakes consistently going over bridges. Shook so hard one time it broke the adjusting sleeve on the drag link leaving me with no steering and vehicle crossed into the oncoming lane and into the grass coming to a stop just before hitting the guardrail. Since this incident the ball joints and tie rods have been replaced along with the steering stabilizer. The front axle has been aligned and everything is to oem specifications and this vehicle will still shake going over bridges if your running 70mph. From the research I've done it appears there is a problem on these Dodge trucks if they are 4X4 with a straight front axle and short wheel base. I have seen kits on the internet that claim to fix the "death wobble" and the geometry of the "fix" is different than oem. I hope that you will investigate this issue and I would be more than happy to take you for a ride in my vehicle or let anyone inspect it.

- Moore, SC, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 2500

We bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 in November of 2011. Since we have bought it we have spent $3500 in repairs in regards to the "death wobble" and it still isn't fixed. I drive it down a road and as soon as you get it up to 50-55 mph and hit a small bump it violently wobbles uncontrollably. The wobble has caused several parts to break or crack including our most recent purchase, the radiator. This isn't the first truck to report this and isn't going to be the last until Dodge man's up and admits they made a mistake. This is an apparent mistake of more than just broke down parts and worn parts. There is something extremely wrong with the manufacturing of these vehicles and is it going to take a death for someone to do something about it? Chrysler is quoted "the safety of our customers comes first" and I would love for the man who made that statement take this truck for a drive and experience the "death wobble' for himself and let me know how safe he feels after that. We have owned many vehicles in the past, none of which has remotely caused this many problems so to say there's no issue or problem with this is extremely bold. We are looking into furthering our investigation in this matter and also looking into what a attorney would do if they were us.

- Knightstown, IN, USA

Feb 172012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact was driving 35 mph and attempting a right turn when the driver side tie rod fractured, causing minimal control of the steering function. The contact was unable to maintain control of the vehicle and proceeded to crash into a ditch. The contact was uninjured and the vehicle was towed from the ditch and to the contact's residence. The contact stated that he replaced the driver side outer tie rod end. The dealer was contacted and advised that the vehicle be brought to their facility for adequate inspection. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the repair performed by the contact was ruled as substantial. The dealer informed the contact of NHTSA campaign id number: 11V350000 (steering: Linkages: Tie rod assembly) and advised the contact that he would receive a reimbursement for the repair costs. The manufacturer was contact who refused reimbursement. The failure mileage was 170,000 and the current mileage was 171,000.

- Chireno, TX, USA

Mar 012012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While rotating the front tires the contact noticed that the passenger side outer tie rod was loose. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The technicians stated that the passenger side tie rod end would have to be replaced. The contac referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V350000 (steering:linkages:tie rod assembly) but was advised by the manufacturer that although the vehicle was included in the recall, the recall would not cover the repair of the tie rod end. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Conroe , TX, USA