2003 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jul 172016

Ram 2500

While driving at about 55 mph, I hit a minor bump in the freeway and the truck started shaking violently, steering wheel shaking side to side. The only way it stopped was I had to reduce my speed to complete stop, the problem was I was towing a 16' trailer with a 4000 lb load on it, I was in front of a semi truck with a full load, it was a very scary and dangerous situation.. it happen again while driving at about 65 mph on freeway next day without the trailer I hit a minor bump in the roadway and the truck started shaking violently. The only way it stopped was I had to reduce my speed and stop. I think this problem should be investigated as some one is going to get killed by this happening to them

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Feb 282016

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Pulled left across middle lane. Vehicle had no steering and there was vibration coming from the front of the vehicle.

- Vidor, TX, USA

May 012014

Ram 2500

I am the original owner of this Ram 2500.. I have contacted local dealer about two years ago and followed up.. but they are full of excuses. They keep telling me "when we get the word from Dodge we will call you.. thye air bad issue really scares me since I cannot turn the damn thing off when I drive it and some else's carelessness is what will blind...me. Also, I see the track bar made need to be replaced... sort of important since it affect steering. How do you light a fire under these people.. car sales are booming.they go the money... they hope I go way... Honda friends of mine have had their bags replaced a long time ago.... whom do I contact to get this done"?" 717 730 4521 michael J. morra 14 hartzdale drive camp hill pa... 17011

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Jan 142016

Ram 2500

Death wobble created by various components that had been replaced prior and then charged to have it diagnosed. The vehicle was in motion when it occurred. There was a loss of control which was regained. Vehicle was traveling at 70 mph when it occurred and control was regained at 40 mph.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jan 292016

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving 50 mph, the power steering fluid leaked out and the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the brake pedal stiffened. The contact replaced the power steering pump seven times. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 303,549. Updated 04/13/16

- Diamond, MO, USA

Apr 012015

Ram 2500

I contacted Dodge dealer in April of 2015 to inspect tie rod end steering linkage. They informed me that they can not get the parts, it's going on a year now. I contacted Chrysler about this and they informed me that the dealership has the parts. How am I supposed to get this recall addressed?

- New Hill, NC, USA

Nov 082015

Ram 2500

At 138916 mile took vehicle in for warranty recall N62 left outer tie rod assemble, since that time have had six instances of uncontrolled sever and dangerous vibrations almost to the point of losing control at highway speeds of 60-70mph. The most recent occurrence was yesterday while making a left hand curve at 60mph; vehicle not has approximately 141,000 miles

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 132015

Ram 2500

I lost control of steering, the steering wheel just spun with no control and I was driving through a school zone with grade school letting out and I went in other lane of traffic in between cars and headed to a gas pump at gas station and I hit brakes as soon as I was out of opposite lane with head on traffic and gas pump was rite off side of road I could have been killed or killed others when this happened, I had to fix my truck because I never knew of recall and also transmission went out at 55,000 miles and transfer case also another 20,000 miles later, I have a truck I can't drive because I can't afford to put a transmission and transfer case in it and I almost lost my life from all the trouble it's gave me and I could have killed others at the school zone. I'd like for Dodge to fix my truck for all the trouble iv had and this happen on city street and I was in motion wen this happened, if I'd hit gas pump it would have blown up and killed a lot people and children

- Elkview, WV, USA

Aug 052015

Ram 2500

I was traveling down a highway at about 55 mph when I hit a bump in the road. The whole truck started shaking so violently that I couldn't steer. I immediately pulled off to the shoulder and began examining the tires and suspension. I noticed some slightly worn components and replaced them once I got the truck home. Still have the same problem hundreds of dollars later. I don't want to sell the truck to anyone and afraid to drive it my self!

- Rockford, TN, USA

May 082015

Ram 2500

While driving on the interstate I hit a small bump in the road and experienced what has been called the "death wobble". my steering wheel shook violently followed by the entire front end. I laterally shook my body side to side aibhard that I hit my head on the side window. I hit the brakes hard and attempted to ease to the shoulder but had no control until the truck slowed to about 35 mph. I was only fortunate that there were no other vehicles in direct vicinity. I continued my trip 95 miles at 55 mph in the right lane without incident. I have tried new shocks and tires with a front end alignment, but I still get the shake.

- Chana, IL, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving at various speeds over a bump in the road, the vehicle began to violently shake without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering gear box was faulty and needed to be replaced. Also, the technician stated that due to the redesign of the part, the entire front end had to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable. MA 10/5

- Richmond, KY, USA

Jun 182008

Ram 2500

This has happened multiple times since I bought it, starting on the day I bought it (used) in 2008. Made it go away for some years, don't know how. Combination of tire pressure adjustment, alignment, toe angle? limited myself to driving less than 55 mph. Problem happens when you hit a bump just right and it sends one wheel up, and the other down. That wheel then gets bounced up, and sends the other down. It's like dribbling two basketballs, and the whole front end shakes violently. Since this happens at highway speeds, it happens on the highway, and the truck is completely uncontrollable during this time. The only way to make it stop is to slow down (remember, you're on the highway) to 40-30 mph. Last time I came back from queens, it happened seven times. It just happened again today, 8/14/15. It is dangerous, violent, and a known problem for which Dodge has not offered a solution or recall. It is colloquially known as the "Dodge death wobble."

- Trumansburg, NY, USA

May 312011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at highway speeds, the steering experienced a violent resonant oscillation upon hitting a pothole in the road. The only way to control the vehicle was to slow down below 35 mph, once the resonant oscillation occurs. I've brought the vehicle to the dealership locally, and they have replaced almost every front end component and still the problem persists. This vehicle has been in the dealership for seven months during the last two years, and it still has the issue. I cannot let my children drive it, I cannot, in good conscience, sell it. I'm at a loss as to a path forward.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

May 312011

Ram 2500

This vehicle's steering began resonant oscillation after hitting a pothole in the pavement. In order to regain control of the vehicle, I had to slow to around 30 mph before the oscillation subsided. This vehicle has been in the Dodge dealership's shop for seven months in the last two years and they have been unable to fix the issue. Most of the front end parts have been replaced, and the issue persists.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 132015

Ram 2500

While driving down the expressway in Chicago in heavy, high speed traffic, the vehicle drove through a small pothole, which caused the vehicle to shake \ wobble violently from the front end and cause impossible steering. The only way to stop this shaking \ wobble was to immediately slow down to below 20 mph crossing 2 lanes of traffic into the soft shoulder. It has been replicated multiple times from speeds of 40 mph and up. After taking this vehicle, a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, 5.7 engine, stock with all current recalls up to date (except the air bag recall which no one has parts for), to multiple repair shops and Dodge dealerships, no exact caused has been located including fca (Dodge) stating there is no issue. Thousands of dollars have been spent on this in the last 3 weeks to solve the problem as it cannot be resolved yet. This is a widely known about issue in these vehicles, commonly refereed to as the "Dodge death wobble" as I have found out. Fca and NHTSA need to do something to resolve this major issue.

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Nov 192014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the front end of the vehicle started violently shaking without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front ball joints, the steering linkage, and the front tie rod ends needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was inspected under NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V528000 (steering) and 09E001000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,164. Updated 11/12/15

- Ellendale, DE, USA

Dec 302003

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving in snow at approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized and required excessive force. The contact crashed into guard rails. The vehicle sustained front end, passenger, and rear end damage. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not repaired. On another occasion, when the vehicle was shifted into park with the engine running, the gear independently shifted into reverse. The contact placed the vehicle into park and shut off the vehicle engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be determined. An alarm system was applied to the vehicle to alert the driver of independent gear changes, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the vehicle was unsafe to operate. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Jul 142012

Ram 2500

When driving if you hit a dip in road or bump, the truck violently shakes also know as the death wobble. You have no control until you slow down under 40 miles per hour. Sometimes it continues to do it after that, so you have to drive under 40. I have about hit a bridge and other cars. Other drives get very scared as they can see my truck shaking. It happens all the time. The dealership claims my truck is not in the recall. Doesn't have a particular part they look for underneath. But know one can explain why my truck shakes like this. So far since we bought it, we can only drive in town. To dangerous to drive at higher speeds. Someone is going to get seriously hurt

- Boone, IA, USA

Jan 092013

Ram 2500

I know have two recalls on this truck. First one is about 1.5 year ago and still not fixed steering. The second one is the air bag and Chrysler dose not have part for that what is the max time for the recalls? I think over a year is way to long for a safety recall.

- Elbert, CO, USA

Aug 172005

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving at 65 mph, the contact drove over a pothole and the steering wheel began to vibrate. The vehicle was taken to multiple dealers and independent mechanics who were unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA