2003 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Sep 172014

Ram 2500

Dodge is refusing to cover recall notice N62/NHTSA 13V-528. I presented original receipts and documentation as requested since I already had to pay to repair the "tie rod ball stud". I received a phone call informing me that they would not cover the recall since I had the truck repaired with "after market parts". I do not agree with this. I should be compensated due to the recall. The parts failed and I replaced them last December. I then get notice that the parts were bad. Why would I put the same parts back on if they failed in the first place? I put "better" after market parts on. No where on the recall does it say that I am supposed to have used "mopar" parts. Please look in to this. I feel they are avoiding responsibilty.

- Spring Lake, MI, USA

Feb 012014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Po Box 129, KY, USA

Jul 172013

Ram 2500

First episode of the Dodge Ram "death wobble" in July 2013 approximately 2 weeks after replacing tie rods. Occurred one more time in early August 2013. Didn't experience again until August 2014 while on a trip in upstate New York, four occurrences in 3 days. The latest occurrence was this past Saturday, twice in the same day.

- Learwater, FL, USA

May 292013

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

2003 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle tie rod recall notice and seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer reimbursement request denied, because he did not use mopar parts. The consumer stated when the tie rods failed, he was in his driveway. The tie rod assembly was replaced twice.

- Calais, ME, USA

Aug 012014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2003 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to left tie rod recall notice. The consumer stated after waiting several months and receiving several recall notices, the dealer was not able to obtain the parts to fix the problem. Recall # 13V528000.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Aug 082014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Drenerton, WA, USA

Jul 032013

Ram 2500

While traveling on the highway and normal speeds and you hit a minor bump, wheels will shake violently with no ability for driver to recover steering. The only recourse is to let the vehicle slow down and then pull over. This is know as the death wobble and can be viewed on youtube. Dodge has denied the problem but yet you can buy an entire new steering assmbly from Dodge for $300. I have spent over $4000 trying to fix this issue. This has happened to me over 10 times and no longer put my family in the pickup and will no longer use it on the highway..a simple tierod recall will not fix this and there is enough people having this problem that the NHTSA should force Dodge to finally correct this design flaw, before we get killed

- Glen Oaks, NY, USA

Dec 202013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle drove roughly and then began to wobble violently at 45 mph. The vehicle began vibrating intermittently at any speed. The contact was forced to grip the steering wheel with both hands and apply excessive pressure to the brake pedal to ensure the vehicle came to a complete stop. The vehicle was towed to several dealers multiple times for repair, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Crescent, OR, USA

Apr 202014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 35 mph to make a right turn, the front end of the vehicle was shaking violently and the steering wheel seized causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree. A police report was not filed. The contact sustained major injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V528000 (steering) after the incident. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 139,000.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to service the vehicle under the recall. The contact was on a waiting list and the manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Placerville, CA, USA

Jan 062014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notification related to NHTSA campaign id number 13V528000 (steering). The contact stated that the repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated parts were not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer has not been contacted.

- Sonora, TX, USA

Nov 042013

Ram 2500

The contact own a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number 13V528000 (steering). The contact stated that she had contacted the dealer and the manufacturer numerous times and they did not have an idea when the parts would be available for the repairs. The repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Napa, CA, USA

Nov 292013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering); however, the parts were unavailable for the repair. The contact called the dealer numerous times and was unable to schedule a service appointment for months. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer knew when the parts would be available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Midvale, ID, USA

May 152014

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Let me start by stating that I've been driving for over 33 years and have an impeccable driving record. This is what happened. I was driving on the interstate at approx. 65 mph. I was changing lanes when I hit a few small bumps in the road. My truck immediately started shaking violently and uncontrollably. I pulled to breakdown lane while slowing the vehicle. The truck didn't stop shaking until approx. 30 mph, though it was still shaking, I had never encountered such a loss of control before for no apparent reason. I decided to see if there was anything about this issue on the web. I was amazed at what I found. This phenomenon is dubbed 'death wobble'. though it seems this in not an uncommon event, no-one seems to be able to pinpoint the problem that caused the violent shaking. There are lots of differing opinions. My mechanic checked out truck and I was told that other than very slight wear in drivers side upper and lower ball joints, everything was tight. I've since replaced upper and lower ball joints even though my mechanic told me they weren't bad enough to warrant replacement. I've also replaced shimmy shock on stabilizer and installed aftermarket stabilizer after researching this problem even more. We also realized previous owner had numerous new parts installed too. Seems as though he was chasing this as well. Since replacing these, this has happened 2 more times. This is extremely dangerous and I won't even go over 55 mph on the interstate. Is Dodge aware of this issue" and what about recalls" I've looked and cannot find any recalls that pertain to this problem. The suspension itself seems flawed even though I cannot pinpoint one failed component in itself. Thank you

- East Brookfield, MA, USA

Jan 292014

Ram 2500

I received a recall notice in January 2014, I took my truck into jake sweeney Dodge in cincinnati, oh. They inspected my truck said they would put me on a list. I have waited over 5 months. I have not been notified of a repair date and the problem has not been repaired. Since this is a real safety issue, loss of control of a motor vehicle, when I drive on a highway every day, I don't consider a 5+ months wait a reasonable time for repair.

- Middletown, OH, USA

Nov 052013

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, suddenly the left tie rod snapped causing the vehicle to veer off of the road into a bush. The contact did not sustain any injuries. The vehicle was taken to dealer who stated the tie rod, tire, rim, springs, rack and pinion would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired, including the NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The failure mileage was 62,432. Updated 08/28/14 updated 09/4/2014

- Grand Rapids , MI, USA

May 182014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 55 mph with a horse trailer in tow, the front end of the vehicle suddenly began to shake violently. The contact lost control of the vehicle and drove into oncoming traffic. The contact was able to maneuver the vehicle back onto the right side of the road without crashing. The failure recurred at speeds greater than 25 mph. The failure was not diagnosed and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number 13V528000 (steering) in March of 2014. The contact reached out to the dealer on several occasions, but the parts were never available to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was 196,000.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Dec 182013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that he attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The contact stated that he was made aware that the parts were not available as a result the repairs were unable to be performed for the recall. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Sep 182013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

I had no control of the steering and the vehicle was violently shaking, I slowed down to a stop, composed myself and drove on, the steering was very hard to control but the shaking only started about 40 mph, I took the vehicle to two shops, had ball joints, U joints, tie rods, steering, shocks, upgraded mopar steering assembly, pitman arm, all replaced, shortly thereafter I received recall notice N62/ NHTSA 13V-528, the instructions stated to mail all original repair documents related to tie rod failure and I would be reimbursed, I received a phone call just simply denying any responsibility with no particular reason other than my mileage, I asked for an email outlining the reason in detail which had absolutely no content of any explanation as to why the claim was denied. I did not receive my original receipts back either.

- Milliken, CO, USA

Jan 102014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2003 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to a replacement part to complete recall. The consumer was informed, he was #19 on a list to receive a part for his vehicle. The dealer stated they were only getting one replacement part, per week. The dealer informed the consumer, the part would be available beginning April 14, 2014. Updated 04/08/14

- Carson City, NV, USA