2003 Dodge Ram 2500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 232011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While driving my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 down the highway and I will hit small bump, and the truck will violently shake and I am unable to steer the truck. The "death wobble" makes it impossible for me to steer during the shaking and the only way to regain control of the truck is to try to brake and not crash. This first started on 12-23-11 and has happened about 6 times since then. The death wobble occurs at speeds as slow as 40 mph. It is extremely dangerous due to my inability to steer when the truck shakes so violently. I have researched this and there are more people with this same problem and there appears to be no fix. The tires shake side to side and the inside of the cab of the pickup is vibrating violently.

- Laurel, MT, USA

Dec 022011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Traveling at highway speeds, upon hitting a bump or groove in highway the truck began a violent shake in the front end. The shaking would not stop until the truck slowed down. This has happened multiple times and the shaking is violent enough to possibly cause a crash. Through internet research I have seen this issue commonly called the "death wobble".

- Matamoras, PA, USA

Feb 012005

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Violent wobble at various speeds. Also widely known as the "Dodge Ram death wobble" featured on you tube!

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Nov 032009

Ram 2500

Dodge death wobble as its called by most, violent shakes in the front end put me in a ditch. I put up with it for about a year but kept getting worse called Dodge and took it to a dealer which in turn charged me $150 to tell me nothing was wrong. Took corrective safety actions myself ordered new front end parts $750 from Dodge fixed problem with local mechanic. They are aware of it but really do not want to address the issue if at all possible.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jan 042012

Ram 2500 8-cyl

When I installed my winter tires, when I hit a pot hole the truck shook very bad. I took tires and had them balanced, no help, then replaced steering damper, no help. Then replaced track bar bushings. No help. Replaced one tierod still no help. Changed back to summer tires, problem just keeps getting worse. Next im going to have the alignment checked and see what they suggest to fix the problem.

- Roulette, PA, USA

Jan 152010

Ram 2500

While driving at 65 +speeds and hitting a bump in the road lost steering wheel control. I called Dodge recall hotline and was told my vehicle was not part of the recall. I am fearful driving this truck due to this problem. This happens every time as I have to do freeway driving in order to go shopping..I contacted the dealer where I purchased it and they never answered my inquiry..

- Golden Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 032012

Ram 2500

Well have you heard of the "death wobble!!!"???"" google this and it will tell you exactly! my husbands truck hops at 70 mph on the freeway almost causing a huge accident! why the hell after all the complaints nothing has been done with this issue! thousands of people are talking about this online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Hall, MT, USA

Oct 152011

Ram 2500

Truck gets a severe wobble when it goes over rough spot in road and the wobble is so severe that it is all a person can do to hang on without wrecking to get the truck slowed and stopped.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Nov 012011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500, as of this evening I had all the major steering components replaced, at a cost of nearly $2500 to solve what is commonly known as the Dodge death wobble, the first expansion joint in the road, after I pick my truck up, caused my truck to shake violently, and nearly out of control again. This is not the first time this has happened, Dodge wont admit that there is a problem and keeps selling me replacement parts without any resolve. The violent shaking continues. I can not even contemplate selling this vehicle because my conscience wont allow me to put another persons safety in jeopardy please help us!!! Dodge won't!!!!!!!

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Jun 212006

Ram 2500

The first occurrence was at 20000 miles, (death wobble), it did not happen for another year. Since then it has gotten more frequent, virtually every time I get on the highway. I have upgraded steering linkage to 09'.,new track bar, steering dampner, ball joints and also the gearbox frame brace w/pitnam arm bearing kit. I still have the death wobble. I now have around 58000 mi. I love my truck, just not the wobble, I would not feel right by selling it like this.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 152011

Ram 2500 4WD

My 2003 2500 Dodge Ram 4X4 shakes violently bad when I hit bumps on the freeway at about 60 mph. I have to almost come to a complete stop to make it go away. It feels like I am going to loose control of the truck and crash. I have spent about $2000 trying to fix the problem, but no success. Help please!

- California, CA, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I drive a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with 113,00 miles. While driving at approximately 65mph I hit a slightly rough patch of road. The truck began shaking violently to the point of completely loosing control of the vehicle. This violent shaking could be reproduced any time I drove over a bump in the highway at normal highway speeds. I took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who replaced the shocks, steering dampener and steering box that was leaking. He stated that none of these parts were worn to the point that he felt they should cause the problem that he experienced and termed "an unacceptable safety hazard". the shaking has been reduced with these repairs but not eliminated. The mechanic now feels the ball joints may be the next approach to a fix although these again are not that worn.

- Chinook, MT, USA

Sep 172010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 4X4 with 65000 miles on it. I just started to get the death wobble, my father-inlaw has a 1998 cummins and he has already experienced the death wobble he has tried to replace several parts on the front suspension with no fix, I have been reading alot of forums on the internet with people having the same problems what can be done to get this issue fixed?

- Elko, NV, USA

Sep 112010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Our 2003 Dodge 2500 is experiencing something referred to on many websites and blogs as "the death wobble!!" this very scary shake occurs when you go over 50 mph or drive on cracked or uneven roads, including paved highways!! Chrysler has not stepped up and accepted the blame and refuses to acknowledge this problem as a recall. Dodge dealerships and a local mechanic have done repairs but nothing fixes it. This vehicle is too dangerous to drive!! we are still making monthly payments on our truck, and can not afford to put anymore money into it!! there are many other Dodge truck owners out there experience this problem! someone needs to make Chrysler take responsibility. I hope your organization has the strength to make them accountable. It is only a matter of time before someone dies... if it hasn't happened already!! here is a link to a blog of other disappointed Dodge truck owners

- Germantown, NY, USA

May 282010

Ram 2500

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 hd that has a severe case of death wobble at only 50,000 miles. All equipment on truck is bone stock.

- Brooklyn Hts., OH, USA

Apr 202010

Ram 2500

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with stock tires and suspension started shaking violently in the front end while traveling on Colorado state highway 94 at approximately 58mph. The shaking started after I transitioned from a bridge to the roadway. The shaking was so severe that I had to stop the vehicle in order to bring it back under control. This isn't the first time it has happened, but after reading several articles online referring to the "death wobble", I felt it should be reported.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 122009

Ram 2500

"death wobble" I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4X4 truck and now I am having a problem with a horrible shake. I have had this truck since the beginning of 2004 and never had any problems, but recently when driving on any highway and go over a bridge or bump, my vehicle shakes vigorusly!!! so bad this last time I almost took out 2 other vehicles while trying to regain control over my vehicle and pull off to the side of the highway. I am constantly with my children and I rely heavily on my vehicle and recently I made the decision to parked my truck indefinately due to this horrible shake! dealers have looked and found nothing and advised me everything looks ok. I have bought the steering stabilazer box and that helped for about a month. Replaced shocks and still nothing. I am now going to an alignment shop to hopefully resolve this issue. Again I rely heavily on my truck as an everyday vehicle and purchased it due to occasionaly hauling cattle and horses in my ranch. It is even worse when this vehicle has any load (trailer) attached. I cannot go over 45 mph without it shaking violently!

- Santa Fe , NM, USA

Nov 032009

Ram 2500

Death wobble, on many, many occasions exceeding over a dozen. I have replaced numerous front end parts to no avail, including tires and rims. It always occurred at hi-way speeds of 65 mph and above, the best way to describe it is a crash happening with out the bent metal. I am sure this is going to get someone killed if they are an inexperienced driver if it hasn't already, the dead don't talk so to speak, you cant see death wobble after the truck has crashed, you may want to look into the single vehicle fatalities of this make and model of truck I am sure it is high ratio for the amount of vehicles sold, one is unacceptable in my opinion. I could be next. It can happen at any time crossing a bridge, pavement patches, especially dangerous passing slower vehicles like semi-trailers and rv's where you have no where to go but the said vehicles and or bridge wall. This is a terrible issue with these trucks, check internet search engines on death wobble, and this is the truck that comes up, what else do you need before something is done?

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge 2500. The contact stated that the wiring harness failed and was repaired under warranty. On a separate occasion, the defroster and windshield wipers failed. While utilizing the driver's side turn signal, the passenger side turn signal would illuminate instead. This failure was also repaired under warranty. In addition, the contact was experiencing very hard vibrations form the front end of the vehicle. He struck a squirrel in the road and nearly lost control of the vehicle due to the vibrations. A local service dealer replaced the steering linkages in the vehicle at the contact's expense. He later received a recall notice for the suspension and excessive vibrations (steering linkages). The NHTSA campaign id number was unknown. The current and failure mileages were less than 120,000.

- Russiaville, IN, USA

Apr 012006

Ram 2500

Truck shakes after hitting bump at 70 miles per hr.

- Franklin, TN, USA