2005 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 2500:

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Feb 202014

Ram 2500

TL- the contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that she attempted to have her vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) but was informed that the parts were not available and that the dealers were receiving one part per week. The contact felt that since the failure was reported in November of 2013, there should be a remedy available before February of 2014. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cross Plains, TX, USA

Feb 122014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that she attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) but was informed that the parts were not available. The contact felt that since the failure was reported November 2013, there should have been a remedy available before February 2014. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair and the dealer was only receiving one recall kit per week. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Winter Park , CO, USA

Jan 162014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a notification under NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) and the part was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to be available. The manufacturer was not notified. There are no failures at this time.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The remedy was repaired in the recall for the tie rod; however, the failure recurred. The failure occurred three times over a period of eight years. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the mechanic diagnosed that the tie rod needed to be replaced again. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Placedo, TX, USA

Jan 302014

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 and recently the infamous "death wobble" has returned. It seems to happen only when the temperature of the outside air is above freezing, I'm going more than 65mph, and I hit a bump. The vehicle shakes uncontrollably, is almost impossible to keep the steering straight, and dangerously hard to remain in one lane. I must slow down rapidly to a speed under 45 to regain control.

- Sewaren, NJ, USA

Aug 012013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact was driving 5 mph when the steering rod became fractured. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for inspection. The contact was informed that the tire rod, bushings and the front tires needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 139,000.

- Acton, CA, USA

Jan 072014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2005 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to tie rod recall notice and seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated the part failed on his vehicle, and he had to pay out of pocket for the repair.

- Garrett, KY, USA

Jan 132014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V528000 (steering) and stated that the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Westfield, IL, USA

Jan 052011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle started to shake violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that a bracket and the steering linkage assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 147,000.

- Merrimac, MA, USA

Dec 232013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph when he noticed an abnormal noise from the front driver's side wheel. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign 13V528000 (steering) but was informed by the dealer that he could not make an appointment for repairs until after January 6, 2014. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 162013

Ram 2500

Just look up Dodge death wobble on internet!!!! millions of owners have this problem.hit a bump, pot hole, anything and truck steering goes into shaking.....you just about have to stop to control this>witch on ice roads can lead to uncontrollable conditions.....just take a look at this...

- King City, MO, USA

Dec 172013

Ram 2500

I had just left the Dodge dealership in my town from having my left outer tie-rod end inspected for a recall, only to get a few miles down the road and my right outer tie-rod end completely failed. Luckily I wasn't driving down the interstate when it happened but I still had to avoid an accident.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Oct 252013

Ram 2500

At 50 mph if the truck hits a bump on the road, it goes to a violent shake until the truck is slowed to 30mph. Very scary as the truck got thrown into the other lane. This has been happening for a year now. The dealer can't seem to fix the issue. I already spend $2500 and now it seems I need to spend another $1500.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 032012

Ram 2500 8-cyl

On February 3, 2012 we were passing a logging truck in a legal passing lane when all of the sudden our truck started shaking violently. We lost all steering control and had no brakes all while shaking violently and headed into the oncoming traffic lane and over the embankment hitting trees head on. We have 2 witnesses to verify everything. The witnesses both said our tires were moving a foot, or more, in & out during this violent shaking. Our truck was totaled due to this accident.

- Orofino, ID, USA

Jun 142013

Ram 2500 8-cyl

Traveling on US93 out of kingman, AZ. Hit a patch of rough freeway and truck went into an uncontrollably death wobble. I was pulling a 12 foot haulmark motorcycle trailer when this occurred. It was a miracle we didn't crash. Got it slowed down and off the road everything appeared O.K. proceeded cautiously and now it was pulling hard to the right like something was out of line. After driving for appx 25 miles, whatever was causing it to pull to right corrected itself. Over the next 1500 miles this has occurred on three more occasions once with trailer and twice without trailer. Have new shocks and tires ordered. Have and appt with Dodge to have it checked out but have little faith in them.

- Redmond, OR, USA

Jun 202013

Ram 2500 6-cyl

While traveling between Colorado and New Mexico along interstate 25 at raton pass, we hit a bump at about 50-60 miles an hour and the vehicle went into a violent uncontrollable shake. Steering could not be controlled, I just applied brakes until we came to a stop. I am going to take into a Dodge service dept., but I've already been told by others traveling behind us that this is a fairly common occurrence and Dodge refuses to acknowledge front end design issues. I hope this isn't true. This is a very serious issue that could easily end up with casualties or serious injuries. This issue occurred with no warning, and in an instant the vehicle goes wildly out of control. After coming to stop the vehicle shows no signs of problems and drives normally.

- Iredell, TX, USA

Jan 152013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph over a bump in the road the steering wheel began to shake violently. The contact described the failure as the death wobble. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the upper and lower ball joints, the axle joints, and tie rod ends were replaced. The contact also replaced the wheel bearings. The failure continued to occur after the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Nov 242012

Ram 2500

Having experienced the "Dodge death wobble" several times, I am already cautious when driving at highway speeds. I was crossing a bridge and hit the expansion joint on the exit side. The truck veers hard left and I cross the middle lines and am halfway into the other lane. I had the wheel turned ninety degrees past straight and the truck continued pulling left. A motorist in an oncoming car veered sharply right and we narrowly missed a head on collision. The truck started to respond to my turning right as all the other occupants asked what happened. I showed them how far I was turning right to go straight, and I let the wheel turn back to center and the truck darts hard left again. By this time I had greatly reduced my speed, so it was much more controlled. I pulled over and inspected the front end of the truck, expecting to find something broken or disconnected, but it was all there and right. I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth and it was all functioning properly. Not knowing what else to do I cautiously pulled back onto highway and it was fine. We were almost in a serious collision. I have zero confidence in this vehicle at highway speeds.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Ram 2500

While going about 65 mph, hit a joint in the road on an overpass. The front end started shaking violently and continued to do so until the truck was slowed to about 30 mph. This isn't the first time this has happened. I've had it checked by a couple mechanics and a dealership. No one saw anything that should/would cause this to happen. After this last incident, I took the vehicle to another dealership who told me it was the steering dampener. They noticed it was leaking. I have been under the truck before and it wasn't leaking prior to this 'death wobble, ' rather, I feel that is leaking because of the violent shaking. I know of 3 other people with 2003-2006 Dodge Ram 2500's that have also experienced this. A simple search on the internet gets thousands of hits. Dodge needs to fix this problem.

- Kersey, CO, USA

Oct 052012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

Truck was maneuvering in parking lot when a noise from the front of the truck was heard. Vehicle was not steering well. Placed vehicle in park and turned off motor. Upon inspection of the front steering found the front left tie rod end sheared.

- Dunedin, FL, USA