2006 Dodge Ram 2500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments

Oct 202015

Ram 2500

The number 4 cyl fuel deliver line off of the common rail system cracked on my 5.9L cummins diesel. This is a very common issue if anyone simply searches on the internet. for instance had one thread with over 40 pages of complaints. The issue with this fuel line is that it is held down by an inferior clamp design that vibrates, loosens, then the line fails due to engine vibration. The part that Chrysler replaces with it is completely different. When mine broke my engine was not hot yet, but if the exhaust was hot I'm sure it could have ignited. I dumped probably 2 gallons of diesel when it went. With such a high pressure in that common rail system it could seriously injure someone as well. I work for a diesel engine provider as an engineer and would be ashamed of my company if we didn't have a recall to protect our customers if this happened to one of our products.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Sep 122015

Ram 2500

No indicators of any issues to this - while driving between 65 and 75 mph the truck begins to smoke not only out of the back end of the truck but underneath the body as well as under the hood of the truck, and we began to smell fuel. The cel light then comes on. We had the whole family in the truck and a small fire extinguisher. This is really nerving since Dodge/Chrysler as well as cummins knowing this line is a problem and has not done a darn thing about it to rectify any compensation. I hate to say this but I guess it is going to take someone getting really hurt but your attitude of not wanting recall such a fire hazard! look at all the forums and see that this is a common issue with the fuel line! line to 4th injector now major repair because of it all the fuel lost under the hood and all over the engine and firewall!

- Conroeq, TX, USA

May 312015

Ram 2500

#4 fuel line ruptured and spewed fuel all over engine compartment and underbody. Had truck towed to local Dodge dealer for repair. Seems like this is a common problem on Ram 2500 diesels model 2006.

- Granite Falls, NC, USA

Feb 182015

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

After driving the truck to a dentist appointment, the truck would not start and there was fuel spraying out of the engine compartment when turning the engine over. A few days earlier, I had commented about the diesel engine having a "hiccup". after having the vehicle towed to a dealership, the service manager said "I bet I know what it is without even looking". as it turns out, he was absolutely correct. The #4 cylinder fuel injector line was ruptured and spaying fuel everywhere. He indicated that the '06 was vulnerable to breaking that particular injector line due to vibrations. I looked TB's up on the internet and there were none. However, I found numerous consumer complaints about the same line failure for '05 and '06 models. This condition is totally unacceptable. If the failure occurs while on the road and the engine shuts down, there could be serious risks to everyone on the road as these rigs are made to pull trailers and other heavy equipment. In addition, numerous of the complaints cited engine compartment fires. If this situation doesn't warrant an NHTSA investigation and subsequent recall, I don't know what it would take.

- Winnemucca, NV, USA

Nov 252014

Ram 2500

While driving my 2006 Ram 2500 diesel pickup at normal highway speeds the check engine light illuminated without any other abnormal instrument panel indications or change in vehicle performance. By the time I was able to safely pull the truck over to the shoulder of the highway (approx 1.5 miles) I noticed a very strong diesel smell. Upon looking the truck over I noticed an excessive amount of diesel fuel dripping all the way from the engine compartment to the rear bumper. Diagnostics reviled the high pressure fuel line from the fuel rail to the number 4 cylinder split at the engine side connector and this caused a large amount of diesel fuel to be sprayed into the engine compartment, hot exhaust components and underside vehicle parts.. the local Dodge dealer (small town dealership) had the #4 fuel line in stock, the part was an updated design from the original part with an improved clamping bracket. Review of several internet locations reviewed this is a very common malfunction for the cummings 5.9L diesel engines. My opinion is the known problems with this part combined with the potential for a engine compartment fire is sufficient rational for a manufacture's recall to ensure the safety of operators and passengers in the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Apr 142014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that there was a visible fuel leak. Upon inspection, it was found that the high pressure fuel line had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Oct 022013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While driving down the road my vehicle died. Once I pulled over the truck was engulfed in a cloud of white smoke. Popped the hood and there was diesel fuel sprayed all over the engine bay. In order to determine the issue I cranked the engine over for a moment and found that the #4 fuel line had cracked and was spraying fuel everywhere. How the vehicle did not catch fire surprises me. It turns out the bracket which isolates the fuel line had fallen off. When I purchased the new part (~$75), I noticed how they redesigned the line so it would not have this issue in the future. So obviously cummins/ Chrysler are aware of the issue, but have not taken any step to at least let their customers know that they have redesigned the part. After further research on the internet, there are hundreds of discussion threads about this, and how it has happened to many other Dodge cummins owners with vehicles built from 2004.5-2007.5.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 022013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

I was driving approximately 65 mph when I noticed a strong smell of fuel and a trail of white smoke coming from my vehicle. I pulled off the highway at the next exit and I lost all power. I was barely able to pull over and stop because I lost my power steering and power brakes. It took a lot of effort just to get stopped and I was lucky I was pulling off the highway in S straight line and I was not on a hill or a curvy road. Once I got pulled over and stopped I noticed an extreme amount of diesel fuel dripping from the engine compartment and the whole under carriage of the truck. The firewall insulation was completely saturated with fuel. The number 4 fuel line had ruptured a leak at the seam behind the coupling nut and spewed diesel fuel all over the engine compartment, probably two to three gallons worth. I have read several complaints about this year and model of this vehicle having the same issue with the number 4 fuel line but no other fuel lines on this model. I feel I was very lucky that the fuel did not ignite or the whole vehicle would definitely of caught on fire and the out come would of been catastrophic for my family that was in the vehicle.

- Camarillo, CA, USA