2006 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 182013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. The contact stated that while reversing into a driveway, an unusual snap was heard. The contact stated that the power steering failed within minutes. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired but was previously remedied under NHTSA campaign number: 11V350000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Jul 212013

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I was on I-35 in mo just North of cameron heading toward winston. About half way between winston and cameron I hit a bump in the road. The road is some what rough due to truck traffic. When I hit the bump the front of the truck became loose violently shaking and causing complete loss of control of the vehicle. It felt as if I were running over a series of speed bumps. I began to slow down immediately. As I was slowing down the truck still shaking vigorously I reclaimed control of the vehicle easing it to the shoulder and stopping. Once stopped I began on the road again and seemed to be fine.

- Cameron, MO, USA

Jul 162013

Ram 2500

For the last two or three months my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 has started having the death wobble!! the uncontrollable tire wobble happens at least twice a day now. I have tried just about everything to fix it. I have purchased new bushings and the steering gear stabilizer. I will not buy another Dodge because of this. When talking to Dodge about my problem, it felt like they were just blowing me off.

- Converse, TX, USA

Jun 252013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while making a right turn, the steering system malfunctioned. The contact had to stop the vehicle in the middle of the road because the steering had become inoperable. An independent mechanic was contacted and stated that the output shaft of the gear box was defective. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 194,000. Updated 08/20/13

- White Mountain Lakes, AZ, USA

Nov 302012

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I was traveling highway I-95 near jax, fl. While crossing an overpass expansion joint between bridge and pavement the front end of my truck began violently shaking - so bad I could barely keep control. I slowed as fast as possible and headed for the median out of the way from traffic following. Truck completed an entire "donut " in median causing all traffic to stop. I immediately thought a blown tire. I had previously replaced tires, shocks and fresh alignment less than 500 miles prior to incident. I called Dodge care and they said there was a recall on steering linkage. I took truck to gator Dodge in melbourne Florida for the recall. Service manager mike said the truck didn't apply to recall. He blamed the violent "death wobble" on my brand new tires and non mopar shocks. Shocks are aftermarket direct fit for my truck from monroe. He also said that I needed an alignment and tires rebalanced. I did what he asked and brought truck back to gator Dodge for a new diagnosis. He then blamed the violent shaking on " glazed rotors". oddly the problem does not happen when braking. He then talked with his service manager and replaced the pittman arm, stabilizer shock and some kind of control arm with new adjustment clamps for free. Did nothing to correct the problem. The truck still makes "clunking noises " from somewhere behind firewall when just crossing over the white stop lines on the road or even my garden hose in the driveway. Death wobble can be duplicated at high speeds but he refused to drive to highway to show him the problem. I am going to install a new steering gearbox and aftermarket stabilizer tomorrow and see what happens. I have a feeling it will be wasted money. I believe the truck needs recalled before I kill someone on the road. I cant afford a new truck and will not let my kids ride in this one.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Jan 252012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the tie rods needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V350000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was unknown. Updated 6/17/13

- Luling, LA, USA

Mar 242013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

When backing up into a parking space, moving at a slow speed and cutting a tight turn the right tie rod broke. The affected parts are the right tie rod, pittman arm and steering linkage.

- Reston, VA, USA

Mar 202010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph and attemtping a turn, he heard an abnormal noise. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Bartlett, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

First incident was right tie rod end falling off. Truck became uncontrollable. Next incident was death wobble. Truck shook violently and was uncontrollable. Next incident was another death wobble with my daughter driving the truck. Next incident was right tie rod end falling off. Next incident was another death wobble. Virtually entire front end has been replaced. Steering stabilizer has been replaced three times. Truck has 240000 miles and I am scared of it, but it my only truck, so I have to drive it. According to internet, manufacturer refuses to acknowledge problem.

- Woodville, TX, USA

Feb 122013

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While driving down the highway at 70 mph I hit a rough spot in the road and truck began to shake violently. I had no control until I slowed down to under 50 mph. There was heavy traffic as it was rush hour and I almost caused a serious accident. After researching the internet I have found this to be a common problem in Dodge trucks and Jeep. There are many youtube videos, it has been on national news and there are many complaints on NHTSA.dot.gov also. Is it going to take someone getting killed to get this defect recalled? the dealerships refuse to acknowledge this defect and use it as an excuse to replace every component in your front end and charge you thousands of dollars. Please address this before someone gets killed.

- Comfort, TX, USA

Jan 122013

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

While traveling at speed (50-55 mph), the highway gradually went to the left. During this left maneuver, the steering wheel and front end of vehicle began to shake violently. The only way to stop the shaking was to slow under 20 mph. I had owned this vehicle for less than a week when this issue first occurred. It has since happened every time I've driven the truck. It always seems while turning the steering wheel to the right or left and when traveling over bumps or joints in the road surface. This violent shaking would have definitely caused loss of control if speed wasn't reduced immediately. This has been a frightening experience, and I have scheduled an appointment at a steering specialty shop immediately. I have been trying to keep the truck under 50 mph (when feasible) and I avoid interstates altogether.

- Malta, OH, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 2500

Hit a pothole and the front end started to shake violently & out of control.

- Belleplain, NJ, USA

Jun 022012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

Vehicle was parked. As I started to back out of a parking spot, I began to turn the steering wheel counterclockwise. The sector shaft on the steering box sheared in half and the pitman arm and drag link fell to the ground. Lost complete steering control. Let it be noted that this truck is not driven off-road in 4X4 environments. Truck has a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires. Wheels are of a factory size. Chrysler was asked for assistance in this repair, because of the type of failure and the fact that the vehicle was not within the factory warranty period. The claim was considered but denied because of the oversize tires. No consideration was given. Pictures are available.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Nov 102010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle drove over a bump in the road and shook violently. The contact referred to the shaking as the death wobble. The contact replaced the tie rod and steering linkage, but none of the repairs remedied the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Jun 152012

Ram 2500

Was driving 45-50 mph when truck hit a rough spot in road and began violently shaking and was almost impossible to control. Had to slow down in order for shaking to stop. Steering was almost impossible while this was happening.\very scary! has happened several time since. My 19 year old daughter drives this truck! (maybe not for long).

- Kerrville, TX, USA

May 032012

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

I have been watching the news recently and saw the Jeep death wobble reports. I have the same experience and same problem with my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. I almost got into two accidents on the high way and once my truck lost control due to the death wobble and turned 180 degrees on the highway facing oncoming traffic. But, luckily no one was hurt. I took the truck to see what the problem was and the mechanics said I have to pay a couple thousand to repair. However, the mechanic said he has seen many Jeep and Dodge have the same problem and said the company should have a recall because it is extremely dangerous and it is the manufactures fault. Due to hard economic times I can not afford to fix my truck and I am very scared for my safety and my families. So please help me in this terrible situation along with other Dodge Ram and Jeep owners. This is very common problem and can be seen all over the internet, youtube and the news. I look forward to hearing back from you and getting help.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jul 022012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the driver side outer tire rod fractured, causing another tie rod to bend. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V350000 (steering:linkages:tie rod assembly). The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileages were 114,000.

- Montrose, CO, USA

Apr 032012

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. Whenever the contact turned the steering wheel during the first 10 minutes of operation, he noticed that the steering wheel hesitated to return to the proper position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the contact was informed that the front bearings and U joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 60,000.

- Canton, MI, USA

May 032011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Driving at highway speeds front steering seems loose and when I hit any bumps I have had "death wobble". a violent shake almost to the point that steering wheel ripped out of my hands. I had brought the truck to a local dealership and was told that nothing was wrong. I finally contacted Chrysler and the woman I spoke with said unless the dealership says there is something broken they will not help me. The funny part is they have a complete fix kit to solve a problem they say does not exist that will cost you around $600 just for the parts nevermind the dealers absurdly inflated labor charges. You would think when you spend $42,000 on a vehicle it should be safe and engineered right the first time and if there is a documented problem as widespread as this it should be rectified.

- Barre, MA, USA

Apr 122012

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

While traveling down roadway approx 45 mph, vehicle began to wobble really bad in front, felt steering was really loose or nonexistent. Pulled over and found nothing wrong, vehicle drove fine afterwards. Several days later, while driving approx 65mph on interstate, heard and felt a "pop" in the front as if I had hit something - looking back I did not see anything. If you ever hit a bird on the interstate, this is what it felt like; however there was no indications that I had hit anything, shortly after I began to experience the wobble again - immediately pulled over thinking my tire may have blown - there was no indication of anything. Today, I took my truck in the shop for the recall (L16) left tie rod; I was told it was ok after inspection and there was no problem; however, for $1383 they tell me they will replace and fix my steering gear box because it is leaking. On the 13th of April after experiencing the wobble, I crawled underneath my truck and found no such evidence of anything; after leaving the dealer and crawling under truck, I noticed where there is leakage at the steering gear box now. After searching net for replacement parts I began to see all issues with these related parts. Dodge should really look at this entire system as they could be tied together. I will repair the vehicle but I am really shocked that Dodge has not done anything about these complaints with this wobble even after repairs. I don't want to spend that much money if wobble continues after repair. Current mileage on vehicle is 96103 - I have owned this truck since new.

- Powell, TN, USA