2006 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Ram 2500:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Nov 112014

Ram 2500

I had taken my truck into the dealer while still under warranty to fix a steering shake/wobble. The dealer inspected it and informed me of a defective bearing in the steering column. I was informed that the part was no longer available even though my truck was still under warranty and I would notbe able to have the part repaired or replaced. They even tried to look for a used part from a salvage yard. I was told there was nothing they could do and was given an option to have my extended warranty for another year longer for free in exchange. I am still driving my truck with the defective bearing and shaky steering column. It was never repaired while under warranty due to no parts available. I was told it was due to the money trouble Chrysler was having and the venders were not getting paid and parts were not being manufactured. This was all done at cerritos Dodge in California.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 75 mph, the front end of the vehicle shook violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the driver side tie rod failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was aligned; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Hurricane, UT, USA

Jun 022014

Ram 2500

Steering has horrible vibration and wobble at 19 mph. Seems to be getting worse. Have already replaced two steering gear boxes on 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Still not fixed. With recent news on Dodge Ram; I am surprised they have not looked at this model years as well as many model years are having same issue. Beginning to be nervous driving the vehicle and the history of this issue with other models and really afraid the shaking is so serious it will eventually cause a wreck or loss of life. This is the 3rd report from me already. Also taken it to Dodge service center and they just peered under the truck and said everything was good. Didn't even attempt to test drive and see for themselves. I have even attempted to notify Dodge corporate last year when it started and not even a return call or message. Feel trapped and lost. Please look at these model years as well. Already had recall H46 conducted and they just told me it was not a problem. Now I have another recall N62 and never got a notice for it; just happen to look up recall notice. VIN is 1D&ks28C36J214020 I think this steering is more widespread and would want further investigation. I am going to take Dodge in for N62 and R25 recall and I bet the dealership will just peek at it and tell me nothing is needed, as always. No more trust in Dodge, please help

- Powell, TN, USA

Jul 232015

Ram 2500

While traveling on the freeway at normal speed of 65 mph in the number 2 lane, my vehicle started to develop a dangerous steering wobble sensation. The wobble was so violent and uncontrollable that I feared for my safety. I let off the gas pedal and applied the brakes as my hands were being almost pulled off of the steering wheel from the force of the wheel being jerked back and forth against my will. I was able to get the truck back under control only after getting the speed down below 40 mph and pulling over. The incident caused an aggravation to an existing injury to my left shoulder which caused me great pain for up to 1 week. I inspected the vehicle thinking I had run something over or something had broken from my steering system. But I found nothing out of place. I have an appointment set to take it to the dealer on Friday July 31st 2015 at cerritos Dodge. This is the fourth time this has happened to my truck and scared me and my family while driving. My truck has always made a "click" noise while turning as well with no one able to diagnose the noise. I am getting nervous and scared to drive my truck at freeway speeds at this point.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Dec 242013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2006 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to defective tie rod end recall notice. The consumer received recall notice # 13V528000 on December 24, 2013. In February 2014, the consumer went to the dealer to have the vehicle inspected. The dealer confirmed the tie rods needed to be replaced. However, they did not have the replacement part, and the consumer was put on a waiting list. The consumer visited the dealer several months later, where he was informed Chrysler was sending out replacement units very slowly and there was nothing they could do. On August 6, 2014, the consumer had the vehicle repaired at a local independent garage. The consumer submitted the receipt to Chrysler for reimbursement. However, his claim was denied.

- Plymouth, IN, USA

Feb 052015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that the front end of the vehicle vibrated and a popping noise was heard from the steering wheel. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering), but the contact did not receive a recall notice. However, the contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags). The dealer stated that the part was not available to schedule the recall repair within a reasonable timeframe. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Lexington, OK, USA

Dec 052014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving at 2 mph, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the contact heard a noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the tie rod on the front driver's side had fractured. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic, who diagnosed that the tie rod, front left wheel bearing assembly and the front left upper ball joint needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. After the vehicle was repaired, the contact heard a noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to another mechanic who diagnosed that the tie rods needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). However, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,000.

- Columbia Falls, MT, USA

Feb 282014

Ram 2500

Driving at a speed over 55 mph and hitting a bump or pot hole my truck starts to shake and my steering wheel shakes back and forth very fast and uncontrollable untill I slow down below 35 mph. I have heard this called the death wobble and I see how it got its name, if a solution isn't found soon one of these times I may not be able to slow down safely and kill some one in an accident or myself.

- Medina, OH, USA

Mar 112014

Ram 2500

My truck has what is know as "death wobble" at certain hwy speeds the truck shakes violently, you have to slow down or you will lose control.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Mar 012015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving approximately 20 mph, there was a complete loss of steering. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and then towed to the residence. The contact was a certified mechanic, who informed that the steering gear box shaft fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Mar 312014

Ram 2500

Have received two recalls. Went to ashland Virginia dealer at least seven months ago and verified my truck needed to get repaired. The service desk put my information in the computer and said I would be notified when parts available. I have been back several times and they still haven't gotten the parts. I am extremely disappointed that nothing has been done. Every time I haul my horses I worry about the steering. Please let me know if you can help wayne cocke

- Ashland, VA, USA

Jan 202015

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 09E001000 (steering) and 13V528000 (steering). The parts needed were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 03/30/15 updated 6/22/2015

- Kalispell , MT, USA

May 282014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware O F the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Whales, MA, USA

Oct 162014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2006 Dodge Ram. Consumer had car repaired and would like reimbursement, due to recall. The consumer stated the left tie rod separated, while driving on the highway. Recall # 13V528000.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Oct 242014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering) had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated the parts were not available for repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. In addition, the contact mentioned that during a routine maintenance the technician informed the contact that both tie rods and ball joints had prematurely worn. As a result, the tie rod and balls joints would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Payallup, WA, USA

Jul 062014

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact crashed into a fire hydrant and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact stated that the failure could have been directly related to a notice he received for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering).the contact sustained shoulder and chest injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,600.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Nov 032014

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to NHTSA recall #13V528.* ld the consumer stated the dealer refused to honor the recall. The dealer informed the consumer, the recall did not apply to her vehicle.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Oct 152014

Failure to complete recall notice N62 / NHTSA 13V-528 dated December 2013

- Buford, GA, USA

Feb 042014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V52000 (steering); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 12/2/14 updated 01/08/15

- Penn Valley , CA, USA

Jan 072013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V528000 (steering). The contact waited for nine months, but the dealer continued to state that the part was not available to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- San Antonio, TX, USA