2007 Dodge Ram 2500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Ram 2500:

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments

Apr 022015

Ram 2500

Tipm is defective causing the air compressor not to engage. How do I know the airbags will work?

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jan 022016

Ram 2500

(safety) when using left turn signal, right signal blinks or none at all. I have had other motorist think I was turning right and go around me as I slow down to make my turn left. I think NHTSA need to look into this ! because motorist can be issued a ticket for improper lane change or an accident could occur.

- Pembroke, NC, USA

Jan 252016

Ram 2500

2nd time in 3 years power distribution module box caught on fire causing engine to die the keep running starter until we removed battery cables first time vehicle was parked. This time going down highway in traffic

- Gillette, WY, USA

Jan 162016

Ram 2500

The tail gate is hard to open and hard to close. I have to keep pulling on the handle to try and get the latch mechanism to work. Usually takes 5 or so try's before the tailgate will open, close or stay closed. Sometimes the tail gate falls down while moving on a highway. The 4 wheel drive light does not come one the seat falls back if you put too much pressure on it in a backwards motion

- Austinburg, OH, USA

Apr 192014

Ram 2500

Failure to honor warranty. 2007 power wagon was advertised as lifetime powertrain limited warranty (attached). Purchased truck new from dealer 1/15/08. 7/18/13 dealer repaired leaking drive pinion oil seal covered by warranty. 10/18/13 transfer case malfunctions wont stay in 4X4 and pops into neutral when climbing hills off-road causing loss of power. Dealer refused to honor warranty. Said warranty coverage code 803 indicated I didn't have a free 5 year inspection of covered items. 4/19/14 rear differential lock light malfunctioning while driving on hwy. Dealer refused to honor warranty. Dealer claimed corporate notified me of required inspection. I asked for proof of notification and it couldn't be provided. I contacted Chrysler dispute resolution center and was told the dealer was supposed to inform me of the needed free inspection to continue lifetime warranty. I asked for proof that I had been notified and was told that I had no proof that I wasn't notified and that the lifetime warranty wouldn't be honored. Thousands of dollars in repairs now for items covered under lifetime warranty.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Oct 282015

Ram 2500

While driving on a remote road in AZ, several things on my vehicle suddenly activated all at the same time including horn honking, windshield wipers, hazard lights, dome light, and radio. This was extremely alarming but I was able to bring the vehicle safely to a stop and turn off the ignition. After turning the engine off, the vehicle not start again despite having plenty of battery power. Fortunately, I had cell phone reception and was able to call aaa and get towed more than 80 miles. The repair shop diagnosed the problem as an issue with the totally integrated power module, which is roughly a $1,000 repair. I looked up this issue online and found that there are investigations into defects of this power module and that there have been recalls of some Dodge vehicle models. I want to register this incident to reinforce what I feel is a dangerous situation when a vehicle can act like it is "possessed" while driving along a road.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Oct 152015

Ram 2500

The tipm (total integrated power module) failed while the vehicle was being driven. The vehicle lost steering control, and braking control when the tipm failed to work. The engine died, while in motion, causing a very dangerous situation. In researching the tipm issues, I have found that there have been several recalls and a class action lawsuit against Chrysler for tipm failures. When I contacted the Dodge customer service center on October 19, 2015, I was told that since the vehicle was out of warranty, they were no longer responsible for the vehicle. The customer service representative stated that he was unaware there was an issue with the tipm module. This is an outrage that Dodge wont even acknowledge the issue, or attempt to make it right with consumers who experience issues with the module. It is very unfortunate that someone will have to be hurt or killed before Chrysler will be held responsible for their known faulty parts. The issue with this part is that it runs all of the major electrical components of the vehicle, and its failure can occur while the vehicle is in motion, which happened when my wife and 9 year old son were driving down the street. Once this part fails, there is no other option than to replace it, and without the tipm, the vehicle is inoperable. Hopefully Chrysler / Dodge will realize the error of their ways, and recall all of these faulty units before someone is hurt.

- Tualatin, OR, USA

May 142015

Ram 2500

Driving on unfamiliar rural dirt road at night, switched to high beam to see upcoming intersection and all headlights went out. Stunned, I lost several critical seconds before I restored the low beams and locked up the brakes. Too late. Unable to turn safely, I left road, went down embankment through fence before stopping in pasture. Substantial front end and body damage to truck.

- Reed Point, MT, USA

Mar 262014

Ram 2500 8-cyl

I noticed the turn signal indicator was flashing to fast. After inspection it was determined that the rear turn signals and the rear brake lights were not working at all. After a diagnostic ($55) it was determined to be the tipm (total integrated power module). This is basically the whole fuse box. This is a $1000 dollar repair, and is such a common problem that the part is on a three week back order from Dodge. Upon further research it seems to me that this has happened to hundreds (or more) 2006-9 Dodge Ram. Owners have experienced a myriad of issues with the vehicles lights (turn signals, brake, headlamps) as well as other random electrical issues. I believe this to be a serious safety issue and would appreciate your help in getting Dodge to address this issue.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jan 142014

Ram 2500

All of a sudden the windshield wipers and washer came on with out warning and blinded me right in the middle of a curve. Then engine quite and horn started blowing.I lost my steering and brakes. When I managed to get the truck stopped I was blocking one lane of traffic.raised hood and the electrical box with fuses was burning. I diconnected my battery to stop electric flow. I had just come off of highway wher I had been going 70 miles an hour.if I had been going that fast at the time of electrical problems it would been really bad as I had two other people with me. One a 90 year old motherinlaw.

- Bandera, TX, USA

May 052013

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 sd. The contact was driving uphill at approximately 15 mph when the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where they replaced the computer system module. The failure recurred the following day. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired a second time for the same defect. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- El-Cajon, CA, USA

Jun 152011

Ram 2500

The totally integrated control module went on my truck causing the ac system to fail. This part can only be replaced by the dealer and is $1,100 per repair. This part is failing at an alarming rate and controls many functions on the Ram 2500 this is a widespread issue and should be a recall.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Jul 052011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Multi switch malfuntions while driving with head lights on...the head lights go out..the wipers will quit also.

- Hubbardston, MI, USA

Jan 242011

Ram 2500 4WD

2007 Dodge 2500 4WD pickup truck. Vehicle has internal antitheft system that includes a micor chip in each ignition key and a wireless control module (wcm) in the steering column. Failure to use an ignition key with a properly coded chip results in vehicle not starting. Problem is with the wcm in the steering column. Without warning or any indication or previous problems, the wcm fails which prevents the vehicle from starting. In my case the truck was parked in parking lot for 5 minutes and upon return simply would not start. Towed vehicle to dealer and the wcm was diagnosed and replaced. Research shows that the wcm in multiple different Chrysler vehicles has been reported by thousands of owners to have faulted requiring repair. Although wcm is replaced it often fails again. Chrysler service bulletin states that the cause of failure is the result if a static electric discharge that occurs when the driver inserts the key into the ignition and often occurs during cold dry days when static buildup is prevalent. The static charge causes the wcm to permanently fail and require replacement. Failures have also been reported with new wcm within days of replacement. Although Chrysler makes repairs, if the vehicle is out of warranty the owner must pay for parts labor and often towing. Since the wcm has an obvious problem and commonly fails as a result of a natural occurrence, it is obvious that the wcm component is of faulty design and should be redesigned and hardened against failure. Although Chrysler clearly states they are aware of problem and know the cause they refuse to make design corrections and thereby make thousands of dollars by providing thousands of repairs annually for a recurring problem that should be fixed through uses of a redesigned part. Research also reveals that the failure of the wcm can occur while the vehicle is on motion causing the engine to shut down. This results in loss of braking ability which could result in a crash.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Apr 142008

Ram 2500 Diesel

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500. The consumer stated the problem started a year ago with the turbo, and the check engine light coming on. Also the accelerator would open up to full throttle without any control, unless he cut the engine off. At times the gas pedal would not move at all. The rear brakes locked up and the ABS failed. The vehicle pulled to the right, due to the alignment being out of specification. The failure mileage was 12,000 and current mileage was 22,400. Updated 04-28-09 the transmission would not go into overdrive. There were times when the vehicle had to hunt for gears and the indicator would disappear on the dash. Updated 04/29/09.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Feb 242009

Ram 2500

I was driving down the road, had just rounded a curve in the road when I started to smell something burning. The next thing I know there are flames starting to come out of the defrost vents by the windshield. I hurried up and pulled the truck off the road jumped out and ran across the street. There I proceeded to call 911. It took 20 or more minutes for the fire department to show up.

- St. Joseph, MO, USA

Nov 022008

Ram 2500

Several issues we are dealing with. First, this is one that the dealership/service, can't even get right. The "check engine" light will not come off. They say it's because of the gas cap, but we are aware how to put the gas cap on. Also, we noticed yesterday that our paint is bubbling up on the hood and roof. This is very annoying, since our truck only has approx. 13,500 miles on it. Also, this morning the "electronic throttle control" light came on, and we are not sure what is causing this. We looked in our truck manual, and cannot find anything on it.

- Montz, LA, USA

Apr 122008

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge sprinter. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 75 mph her vehicle lost power and she was not able to drive over 60 mph the same failures listed in recall #07V594000. Prior to this failure no warning signals were illuminated on the instrumental panel. At 11700 miles the right wheel baring and the drive shaft was replaced. At 38,000 miles the front left shaft and center baring was replaced. During repair the instrument panel was converted from miles to kilometers, when converted back the odometer read 12,000 miles less than what it had before. A short time after the egr valve blew along with a 450 amp fuse. All repairs have been at an authorized dealerships and they have been covered under the extended warranty at the owner's expense. The failure mileage was 17700 and the current mileage was 31,000. (SC) updated 6/16/08

- Holly, MI, USA