2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon:

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Aug 112009

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Dodge Ram 2500 had a safety recall H46-mopar steering linkage. I want to also report that the steering gear itself is also faulty. I took my truck to a small repair shop in conifer, co that has since August 09 replaced this gear on 6 trucks. Our steering went out catastrophically going over a mountain pass, almost causing our deaths. Chrysler is not covering our steering gear replacement because the recall only covers the linkage. According to the shop owner, he is aware of the H46 recall. I want to make sure to register a complaint about the actual steering gear.

- Morrison, CO, USA

Mar 222007

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 4X4 (3rd generation Ram). When I hit an irregular road condition such as the transition from a bridge to the road, or a bump or pot hole, at speeds over 45 mph the front end on the truck shakes violently. It causes the entire truck to shake violently and takes a bit of muscle to hold onto the steering wheel to keep it from getting out of control. Dodge has replaced (so far) the wheel bearings three separate times, they also replaced the entire steering linkage (tie rods, control arm ect..), ball joints at my expense to the tune of $1,200. They also recommended I put on a dual steering stabilizer which I did (cost $140). All of this and the truck still had the "death wobble". I then put on dual shock absorbers and filled the tires to 60 psi (10 psi over recommended) and the "death wobble went away. It has been about 8,000 miles since I was able to make it go away and now it is coming back intermittently. I have had this problem intermittently since the truck has had about 38,000 miles. I have several friends with the same problem with their 3rd generation Ram 2500 and 3500 series 4X4"S. Dodge recognizes that there is a problem but does not know what the cause is. They have issued tsb # K15782911. I have had my truck in on this tsb and I believe the work was done but the "death wobble" remained until I put on dual shocks and excessive tire pressure. This condition causes the entire truck to shake violently. My wife has driven off the road when it happened to her. The only way to make it stop is to slow down to a crawl quickly. It is a recurring problem that is happening to a lot of owners. I think the front axles on these vehicles should be recalled.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Nov 102006

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Pick-up experiences a violent wobble in the front end at higher speeds. The only way to make it stop is to slow down below 20 mpg. Very dangerous situation!!!

- New River, AZ, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Massive uncontrollable shaking in the front end of my truck. I can not drive my truck over 50 miles per hour without fear that I will loose control if it starts to shake and not be able to get it off of the road without rolling it or hitting another vehicle. It does this any time you hit a bump or go over an extension joint in the road. I have replaced the front end bearings, all 4 shocks, had a front end alignment and put new tires on it.

- Bethatlo, IL, USA

Oct 162009

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

When my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 hits a bump over 70mph the truck will shake so much that driver has no control. I have already replaced the sway bar and the tie-rods.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 2500 Power Wagon Diesel

2005 Dodge truck / Ram/ pick up/ 4X4/2 door/ diesel continues to shake violently. I have to come to a complete stop to stop the shaking. Dodge service continues to charge me the fix the problem however the death shake returns. Dodge has charged me over $10,000 in repairs & still not fixed. I believe they know what the problem is & they can't fix it as it is a major design flaw. Now they're telling me a couple of new front tires will "fix" the problem. So far, I have bought new steering linkage, tires, balance tires, front end alignment, steering dampener, hub brake. Now they are telling me the replace the axles for $ 2,000.

- Southlake, TX, USA

May 172006

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Dodge death wobble...2005 Dodge 2500 driving at highway speeds, hit a bump in the road or a bridge and the front end shakes violently.

- Athens , TX, USA

Jul 162009

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

"Dodge death wobble": 08/16/09 at approximately 0330 hours, I was driving (2005 Dodge power wagon 2500 4X4) home from work (police officer) on the richmond-san rafael bridge. I experienced wobble in the steering. I was going 55 mph. The truck shook violently, then I lost my steering control. I hit lane #1 raised metal barrier, then drifted to the right side metal barrier, coming to complete stop. I looked underneath the front end of the truck and saw that a steering rod had been snapped, due to the force of the shaking. The steering rod came off of the steering stabilizer. I have done research about the "Dodge death wobble" to find that I am not alone, and that Dodge will do nothing about the major engineering/design flaw of the truck.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 032009

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, while driving down road around 65-70 mph a hole in the road was hit and truck began to shake violently like having a flat tire, slowed down it went away. Duplicated problem again. Took truck to dealership and they recommend having drivers side outer tie rod, possibly track bar, new tires on front, and alignment. Owner had new tie rod installed, bought four new tires, and had alignment done. Vehicle still has shake and owner is going to replace other tie rod and steering damper and then have alignment done again. Supposedly there is a Dodge technical service bulletin for this problem. Searching through forums on this there are many trucks that have this same problem.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 012008

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving 45 mph, the front end of the vehicle bounces and shakes violently when driving on uneven pavements or bridges. The vehicle has been to the dealer twice. The steering damper was replaced the first time. The repair corrected the failure for approximately 6,000 miles and four months. The failure recurred and the vehicle is currently at the dealer. The mechanics attempted to replace the tie rod ends and installed a new damper, but the contact believes that a recall should be issued since there are numerous complaints. The failure mileage was 52,000 and current mileage was 58,000.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Dec 132008

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

While leaving a parking lot the left front wheel collapsed direction the truck to the left impacting a light standard base. Tow truck driver found lower ball joint laying on parking lot and spindle had separated from a frame. Damaged to left front fender and left rear door.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Nov 032008

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving 60 mph, the contact struck a crack in the middle of the road. The steering wheel began to shake and the mirrors cracked. In addition, the contact lost control of the steering wheel. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that there was no failure with the vehicle. The contact changed the tires and repaired the front end, but the failure persists. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Big Pool, MD, USA

Sep 152008

Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Tie rod end broke while driving down interstate. New updated steering parts were put on at my expense should of been notified of updated steering. There is a dozen other trucks with same set up that of done the same thing. It was a near miss of a really bad wreck driving down a smooth interstate it should of never happened.

- Rawlins, WY, USA

Sep 092007

Ram 2500 Power Wagon 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. While pulling into the driveway at 5 mph, the steering wheel locked. The contact applied the brakes and the vehicle struck the concrete wall of his garage. The vehicle was towed to the mechanic and he stated that the brakes failed. The mechanic also stated that the power steering shaft was damaged and the belt was wrapped around the fan. The current and failure mileages were 36,693.

- Center Port, NY, USA

Apr 022005

Ram 2500 Power Wagon 4WD 8-cyl

At speeds over 50 miles per hour if the truck hits a pothole or minor bump in the road, such as bridge seams, the front of the vehicle shakes violently. Occurs continuously. The dealer stated"it has the off road package which makes it unstable?" my mechanic repeatedly balanced and rotated the tires but the vehicle still shakes until the speed is lowered below 40 mph. He has not found any defective parts but at the rate of shaking it is bound to break front end parts. Occured more often when the truck was brand new and decreased as the tires wore. After the tires were replaced the problem is critical. The new tires are the same as the original equipment.

- Clifford, PA, USA

Apr 242006

Ram 2500 Power Wagon 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

: the contact stated while traveling at high speeds of 75-80 mph and when going over a bump in the road, the steering wheel jerked back and forth violently. The front end shook badly; more on the driver's side. This is the fourth time the vehicle has been to the dealership for this problem. The first time the dealership replaced the sway bar bushings. The second and third times the dealer put an extra shock on the steering stabilizer bar and replaced an unknown steering part. The problem returned after each attempt to remedy by the dealer and only occurs at highway speeds.

- Littleton, CO, USA