2. replace the entire cluster with a new one from gmc (6 reports)
  3. gm recall and replace the cluster (4 reports)
  4. mechanic says cluster is bad (3 reports)
  5. sent cluster to mechanic for repair (1 reports)
2004 GMC Envoy accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 252009

Envoy XL 4.2L

It seems to me that on GMC vehicles the cluster for gauges is a common problem. Why were there no recalls?

- , Damascus, GA, USA

Oct 162008

One day the speedometer stopped working, then the RPM, then the oil gauge and so on. One day while on a long drive out of town, I ran out of gas. I hadn't realized that the gas gauge had stopped working because it said I still had 3/4 tank of gas! I was 300 miles from home, it was snowing and I was stopped on the side of the freeway.

I could not believe this! I finally got roadside assistance to come fill me up... an HOUR LATER. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in. He told me it would be $97 for a diagnostic then any parts and labor is $120 per hour.

I told him to shove it.

It's been about 8 months since then and I have learned to be my own gauge. I estimate when to get gas based on how many miles I've driven, I listen to the engine for the RPMs, & use a GPS system with speedometer that I bought online for $45.

Every once in a while I just get so so worked up that I bang on the shield to the gauge clusters just to see if that might help. It helps my frustration, but does nothing to actually solve the problem.

- , Napa, CA, USA

Mar 022009

Envoy 4.2L

I got a letter on the cluster on my truck and it isn't bad but now my Envoy has the problem and there is not recall. No wonder people buy foreign cars!

- , Wellsville, OH, USA