NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2004 GMC Envoy (Page 2 of 2)

1.1

2004 GMC Envoy fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 282012

• 1,130,491 miles

A very strong odor of gasoline is inside and outside of my car. When the car is started and being driven the smell is most heaviest. After driving and it sits, you can continue to smell the gas fumes. I took my vehicle to a certified dealership to find out the problem and a diagnostic was done. Unfortunately, I was told that the problem could not be detected. I continue to be afraid that maybe my can is going to catch on fire or explode at any time. After doing my research, I have found that there are many owners of GMC Envoy with this same problem. Some of the models have been recalled, but this issue reaches far beyond those models. All make and models with this problem should be recalled.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Sep 202011

Envoy 6-cyl

There is a strong gasoline smell inside and outside the vehicle. The check engine light is on and the code is indicating some type of vapor/emissions problem. I took the vehicle to 2 different mechanics and they both found that the fuel tank filler area has a vapor and liquid leak. There is a tsb issued by GMC that covers this situation but they will only honor it on vehicles prior to 2004.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 042013

Envoy 6-cyl

My car is leaking gas and I. can only put 20 or 30 dollars worth in at a time where most of it ends up on the ground. There is also a very strong gas smell. I'm taking it in to be fixed but this is obviously a problem since I just read that other owners are having this problem so there should be a recall before someone is seriously hurt my check engine light also comes on for a while and then goes off. These are problems that require a recall.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 032013

Envoy

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle in a residential garage, there was a strong gasoline fuel odor coming from the interior and exterior of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who inspected the vehicle and found that there was a fuel tank inlet check valve fracture. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection of the failure. The manufacturer was notified and stated there was no recall and offered no further assistance for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 262012

Envoy

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that there was an overpowering gasoline fuel smell outside of the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic and the mechanic discovered a fuel leak between the hose and the fuel tank. The mechanic did not replace any components of the fuel tank or the hoses. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Hollis, ME, USA