7.3

$1,800.00

1. replacement gas tank (5 reports)
  2. replace gas tank, fuel sending unit (1 reports)
2004 GMC Envoy fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments

Mar 242014

Envoy XUV SLE 5.3L V8

Started with a smell of gas over just the last few days. This morning I drove it in to get a closer look and upon arriving at my local NTB I saw Fuel gushing out and a trail behind me.

The gas tank has 2 areas where it was leaking and also required the fuel sending unit to be replaced. I can understand cost wise why GMC would not want to issue a recall, but with the fire hazard that I was driving down the interstate I would have done everything in my power to sue them had any injury resulted from this. A cost can not be put on a life and GMC should be ashamed of themselves.

I can't say to run out and get your fuel tank replaced, but be very careful when you smell a hit of fuel with this vehicle. $1800 to repair the tank and sending unit. The deal tried to screw me and found it on GMparts.com for $600 less. The dealer then dropped their price some, but was better then waiting a week to get the part from on line.

- , Richfield, Wisconsin, USA

Nov 162013

Envoy XL 4.2L

For the past couple of years I could not understand why my vehicle would go through so much gas and would blame my wife thinking she was driving everywhere and denying it. She would tell me she wasn't but I couldn't understand where the gas was going because it was so good on gas before. The check engine light turned on eventually and it would say the gas cap needed to be replaced. I kept replacing it but it wouldn't fix the problem. Then I was told it was probably my sensors. Recently I've been trying to get it to pass smog but can't pass it until the problem is fixed. The smog guy finally said when that sensor goes off that it could be the gas hose leaking. When we got under the car the hose was not ripped but showed a gas clamp was broken and the guy said I might need to replace the canister vent valve solenoid and the clamp. I ordered it and was waiting for it to come in. I figured I'd go under the car and look at things. That's when I saw the neck of the gas tank was completely broken and that's where the "excessive leaking" was coming from. I get on this site and realize this is a common dangerous problem. Do people have to wait for their cars to catch fire, blow up or a person to die for them to make this problem a recall?!!!!!! What would have happened to my wife and kids if they were driving and my car blew up?

- , Llano, CA, USA

May 212013

Envoy SLT 5.3L

Was not aware of the problem on my XUV SLT model until it was in the dealership for other warranty work. Replaced Under warranty.

- , Savannah, Georgia, USA

Apr 202012

Envoy LX V8

WHEN PARKING ON HILL ROAD AREAS GAS TANK LEAKS, IF TANK IS ALMOST FULL. WHEN PARKED IN MY GARAGE YOU CAN SMELL GAS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

- , Adjuntas, Puerto Rico, USA

Apr 142008

Envoy XUV 3.2lV6

HAVE HAD GAS LEAKS FOR SOME YEARS IT WAS NOT TOO BAD HAD DEALER CHECK SYSTEM GOT CODE PO442 TURNS OUT TO BE FILLER NECK HAS A LEAK . DEALER CHECK WITH GM FOR RECALL ANSWER WAS NO ALSO MY EXTENDED WARRANTY ALSO WOULD NOT COVER OVER THE YRS LEAK IS WORST .SO I MAKE SURE NO ONE IS SMOKING NEAR MY CAR . MAYBE IF MY CAR CATCHES FIRE DUE TO THE LEAK GM WILL TAKE NOTICE. THE COST TO FIX 800.00 PLUS AT DEALER .I CHECK WITH OTHER SERVICE SUCH FIRESTONE WELL THEY SAID ONLY DEALERS WORK ON DEFECTIVE TANKS LIKE GMC .I DO PARK FAR FROM THE HOUSE JUST IN CASE PAID OVER $38,000 AND IT MIGHT ALL GO UP IN SMOKE. THIS IS MY FIRST AND LAST GMC PURCHASE

- , San Antonio, Texas, USA

Dec 142009

Envoy SL V6

Apparently, several owners of GMC envoy has experience the same problem with a crack in the neck on their gas tank, this problem is costly and very inconvenient. I have only owned this car for two years is quite apparent that this is a defect design by having a plastic bank in the gas tank system which seems to be awful ridiculous, this cracked could've cost of vehicle to catch on fire or explode. When the vehicle was brought back to the company that the vehicle was bought from the service personnel stated that this was a dangerous situation that the vehicle could explode if it's not corrected they did not own up to the fact that this was a factory defect from General Motors someone has to be crazy to install a plastic gooseneck IN a gas system's, GM should recall all these envoys and replace their faulty fuel tank system which could explode. Someone has to be crazy at General Motors!

- , Houma, LA, USA