1995 GMC Jimmy transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1995 GMC Jimmy:

1995 GMC Jimmy Owner Comments

Nov 162008

Jimmy SLS 4.3L V6

My '95 Jimmy ran decently for about 3 months after I got it. Well, after i put in $2000 of post-purchase work. (The guy who sold it to us was a mechanic in Clinton, IA, and he just happened to forget to tell us it didn't have a catalytic converter on it). Anyway, right about when the snow hit (in Cedar Rapids, IA), the dang hting wouldn't want to go in reverse. It drove fine forward (decently at least- it held onto 2nd and 3rd gear a little too long). When I when to back into my garage or a parking space, it would go 1/2 a mph and when I tried to give it more gas it would roll to a stop as if it were in nuetral. In order to get it to move faster, I had to rev the engine up past 4000 rpm's. Of course then it had TOO much power and the tires would just spin ontop of the Iowa snow and ice. (sure glad the mechanic threw in free snow tires! NOT). I've heard these cars have issues with the transmission pretty consistently. One review said there's some sort of spinner inside the transmission that moves fluid and it gets locked up so you must rev it up or leave in nuetral to build up enough pressure. Anyway, hope no one else has too much trouble with this same thing. I would not recommend this car though...

- , Cedar Rapids, IA, USA