2005 GMC Sierra accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Sierra:

2005 GMC Sierra Owner Comments

Apr 012013

Sierra 4WD 8-cyl

This model GMC Sierra truck has a known propensity for failure of the windshield washer mechanism. Whereas this has not caused me to have an accident it has resulted in an unsafe condition as when vision obscured by dust or mud. The washer reservoir is located in a very tight space between the inside of the engine compartment and the battery. My washer started to leak after I had the battery replaced. Even though I was topping up the fluid I kept getting a low washer fluid warning light. Eventually I noticed that when refilling all of the washer fluid leaks out onto the ground beneath the truck. I note that when replacing the battery it would be very easy to strike the washer mechanism. This can crack the reservoir, dislodge a hose, or cause a gasket in the device to fail. I have not been able to diagnose the problem with certainty as GMC refuses to diagnose this safety concern free of charge. I believe that the windshield washer is a critical safety feature of the vehicle and should be addressed by the manufacturer even if the vehicle is out of warranty. I believe that the windshield washer mechanism is of flimsy construction and, by virtue of its location, is prone to damage when replacing the battery.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA