2001 GMC Sierra 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500:

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Mar 152009

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

It started with the fuel gauge fluctuating between full and empty with a full tank of gas and the ABS and brake light on dash lighting up for apparently no reason. Then it started giving me trouble starting and making a weird whining noise. I checked all the fluid levels and fuses, everything was ok. I was at the camp(middle of nowhere) at night when I noticed that there were sparks coming from around the area of the starter when my husband tried to start it.(it just happened to be dark and I was sitting with a view of the right wheel well) I checked the wires and found what might have been a break in the insulation, taped it and the sparks quit. Had no choice but to drive it home the next day as there was no phone service. Started right up, and drove fine, except for the low whinny noise that no one could pinpoint. I was almost home when the transmission started to slip. I brought it to our mechanic who replaced the transmission but none of us can figure out what the devil is causing the electrical problems. Before the transmission went out the tow/ haul button didn't do any thing, now the light actually comes on-when it feels like it, but I can't get it to go off. The gas gauge is still acting nuts and the ABS and brake light still come and go. Please post instructions for troubleshooting this thing!

- Morganza, LA, USA