2003 GMC Sierra 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Sierra 1500:

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Nov 212014

Sierra 1500 5.3L

I bought this vehicle apprx 1 1/2 yrs ago. Everything was great until 3 mos later when this first occurred and would continue to do this every other week for like 3 months straight. Then it worked good with no problems for like 3 months, then started up again but less frequently, maybe once a month after that. Sometimes I'll go 2 months and all is good.

The last time this happened was yesterday on my way to work. Luckily I live & work in a pretty regular to lite traffic flow area, mostly country road driving, but I am afraid this will happen when I am in Orlando, Fl as I live like an hour away and we travel there on weekends at times and the traffic is heavy all around, 3, 4 lanes highways and if I am caught in a center lane and this happens, I'm screwed as I have no acceleration power whatsoever. This could potentially be fatal for us and other people involved. I would absolutely hate for something to happen to me, my wife, or anyone else for that matter

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have not tried to contact any dealer yet but I'm leaning towards that as I see no other option. Maybe there is a recall on this but not sure as I really cannot afford the out of pocket repair on this. Also, how does one go about seeing if there are any recalls that are covered and still might be pending for a vehicle, or maybe had been performed prior to my ownership as this truck was a corporate vehicle prior to me purchasing it. So thanks for any input on this matter....

- , Sumterville, FL, USA