2004 GMC Sierra 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Sierra 1500:

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 052015

Sierra 1500

The brakes on my truck failed due to the brake line corrosion. I pushed on my brakes while backing out of my driveway lost all braking power and had my brake. Luckily I was in my driveway when this happened. All of the brake fluid leaked onto the ground, I had my vehicle towed to the dealership and had the brake lines replaced. Upon speaking with the service advisor he said that this was common and that the new brake lines were coated and will not rust. None the less the repair cost and towing cost was quite expensive.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Dec 012015

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The contact was able to avoid an accident. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake line was rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,900....updated 02/04/16

- Lake Suzy, FL, USA

Nov 262015

Sierra 1500

Brake lines are rusting causing brake failure due to pressure/fluid loss

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jul 012015

Sierra 1500

As I approached a major intersection the traffic light turned yellow and I applied the brakes preparing to stop. The brakes failed and the petal went to the floor. The truck rolled halfway into the intersection before I was able to step on the emergency brake and fully stop the truck. The dashboard flashed on indicating "repair brakes"...a little too late to help. If I had a vehicle in front of me, I would have hit it and possible injuries would have resulted. I had my daughter in the front passenger seat and was glad for seat belts.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Apr 202015

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving at 45 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to stop. In addition, the contact stated that the check brake system was displayed across the message board. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the brake lines were corroded and fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- King Sport, TN, USA

Jan 312015

Sierra 1500

I was driving on my way home from a restaurant, just about 4 blocks from my home I applied my brakes and anti lock brakes was acting up and I pressed a little hard to stop before a stop light and the pedal went right to the floor. I had to drive very slow to get my truck to my home as I have no brakes. By the time I parked my parking spot I got out and opened my hood to look at the brake drum didn't see anything and proceeded to look underneath my truck and found a puddle of brake fluid just under drivers side bottom. I was amazed to see that and it looked so rusted, couldn't pinpoint where the leak is coming from on the lines it was all soaked with the fluid. Right now I feel that the GM corporation should replace all the lines at a no cost to me. They should not have put an inferior product on the truck and it is dangerous they can have someone killed if the brakes fail on a higher speed !!! they tricked the customer into buying a quality made trucks and its not! it is made of cheap cheap cheap quality parts that I spend on with my money when I brought the Sierra 1500 new from a GM dealer in July 2004 mileage at the time happened around 118385.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 062014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Brake for rr crossing, peddle went to floor. Towed to garage.

- Southampton, NY, USA

Aug 152014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Brake failure! brake line rusted through allowing fluid to leak out. I do not understand why they have safety belts, air bags, safety glass, and many other safety features on cars and trucks but do not make it mandatory that all brake components (lines) are not made of stainless steel tubing! being unable to stop in an emergency because of brake failure can result in many catastrophic accidents and unnecessary deaths or injuries!

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

May 132013

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that the fuel tank strap fractured due to corrosion. Also, the brake lines were rusted and the instrument panel gauges were inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who replaced the brake lines. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Beaver, PA, USA

Sep 142014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Driving into the village, had to stop for someone making a left turn, and the brake pedal went to the floor. Complete braking failure. No accident, I was able to pull off to the right, but real scary, my son was with me. Got the truck home and now all the brake fluid ran down the drive way. Looks like GM went cheap again, the brake lines are horribly rusted and the fluid is leaking from an area just under the drivers seat.

- Essex Junction, VT, USA

Nov 072011

Sierra 1500

Total brake failure. Due to rusted lines brake fluid poured out.

- Bernardston, MA, USA

Aug 112014

Sierra 1500

While driving in the city my brake pedal went all the way to the floor and I had minimal braking power. I was able to stop the vehicle safely but the brakes lines are completely gone. They are all rusted and have several holes in them and must be replaced.

- Harrod, OH, USA

Jul 042014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Driving vehicle, and lost brakes. Discovered the brake line had rusted thru causing loss of fluids. After researching this I found out this is a very common problem with certain year model GM vehicles. This is a extremely dangerous situation, and I cant believe there has not been a recall on this. Does it really take deaths for GM to act on defects they are aware of? I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler and the brake lines look a lot better than those on my truck. The sad thing is you cant even buy the break lines from the dealer because they don't sell them, would someone please look deeper into this before someone else gets killed or injured.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 262014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Coming up driveway in 2004 GMC Sierra pickup truck and went to apply the brakes and the pedal went straight to the floor - no brakes. Had to push emergency brake to stop truck. After getting out of the truck, saw fluid leaking out beneath truck under driver's side door. Looked under vehicle and found brake lines had rusted completely through and brake fluid was draining out.

- Kettle Falls, WA, USA

Jun 172008

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that when attempting to apply the brakes, the brake pedal extended to the floor. After inspecting the vehicle he noticed that brake fluid was leaking and the brake lines were corroded which caused it to burst. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000. The current mileage was 70,892.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Jun 142014

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated while driving 45 mph a deer suddenly jumped in the middle of the street. The contact immediately depressed the brake pedal but they extended to the floor and failed to stop the vehicle. Immediately following the failure the brake light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated the entire brake line needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- Washington, NH, USA

Jun 022014

Sierra 1500

Brakes failed without warning and vehicle would not stop. Pulling into car wash and when brakes were applied the pedal went to the floor and the truck went out the other side of the car wash. Could have been very dangerous as I pull an equipment trailer with 7000 pounds on it and it would have been impossible to stop. I will never own a GM product again. This is unacceptable.

- Manakin-Sabot, VA, USA

Apr 192014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Entire brake line failure do to rusted brake lines.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Feb 042014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Brakes engaged the antilock device even as I was driving on dry pavement. This happened often, and if you are not careful with following distance you'll rear end the vehicle in front of you. This happens in a random fashion that the antilock device gets engaged.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Apr 012014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Brake fluid line rusted completely through. Lost brakes with family in truck while at 45 miles an hour and three (3) miles from home. Drove home on shoulder of road with drag on transmission to stop. Very disappointed that this has not be recalled sooner.

- Mount Airy , MD, USA