2. replace the upper shaft (2 reports)
  3. replaced steering gear box (1 reports)
2004 GMC Sierra 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Sierra 1500:

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Feb 012006

Sierra 1500 HD SLT 5.3L V8

We bought this pick-up new. After a few thousand miles we thought we were feeling/hearing a subtle thunk at times in and through the steering wheel. This kept getting worse and we took it in to be fixed under warranty while under 30k miles. The GMC dealership replace the steering column link and it seemed to fix it but within a few thousand miles it started again. We took it in again (no longer under warranty and were told that they could replace the part again at our cost but that it would do it again later and that it was not a safety issue. We opted to just put up with it. Then in March of 2012 the power steering stopped working when making a left hand turn. We took it to an independent shop and it turned out to be the steering gear box causing the power steering problem. We had it replaced at about 70k miles and the noise had stopped. We now have 112k on the pickup and it has never had the noise problem again. We then bought a 2008 Malibu that has a similar noise/feel and have been through the same process except that the steering gear box has not gone out......yet. Just have to wonder if it is the same problem due to design?

- , Hereford, TX, USA

Jun 202005

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L-V8

Intermediate steering shaft issue is an obvious engineering problem that should have been remedied by GM. The burden should not have been that of the consumer.

- , Bremerton, WA, USA

Jan 012005

Sierra 1500 4.8L

I have this problem with my steering sense i've owned it. The dealer repaired the problem by greasing the shaft not once but on 4 different occasions stating your problem is solved. After the second time i suggested replace the shaft and that would solve problem. they refused and now that the warranty is up , i am screwed .i have also complained about my instrument cluster around the same time. the answer to that was ,we drove the truck and it works. so i say good bye chevy, after 30 + years and hello ford.

- , Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

May 012010

Sierra 1500 5.3L V8

at around 30-35k miles a clunking noise and noticeable vibration feel began happening in my truck. This seems to be a common issue for GM vehicles in this era. The same has happened in the last 3 vehicles from GM ( 2000 Chevy Silverado, 2005 Chevy Silverado, and 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS) Funny that no one at the dealerships has ever heard of this issue. The '05 Siverado was purchased new and the problem occurred at 20k miles, the Monte Carlo occurred at 17k miles. Doesnt seem to impair driving ability but is very annoying and noticeable to even passengers after a while. This is the only issue Ive ever had with any GM products.

- , Chittenengo, NY, USA

Sep 182003

Sierra 1500 5.3L

The clunking was reported to the dealer right after I took delivery of the truck in Sept. 2003. I reported it several times, but as usual the dealership could find nothing wrong, except they said they identified a rattle (or rubbing noise) caused by a set of side step rails I had installed. They charged me to tighten them and said that fixed the problem. Well, it didn't and after awhile you get tired of complaining. Now the truck is six years old and has low milage (approx. 38,000) and I live with problem erery time I drive it. My son drove it recently and reported back that there is something loose in the front end---it dosen't feel safe and I should have it looked at before something happens. This is my fourth GMC and probably my last, I've had brake problems with all four of them and now this, I guess enogh is enough. I hate the thought of driving some other truck, but like I said after awhile you get tired of complaining.

- , Erie, PA, USA

Feb 152007

Sierra 1500 5.3L

This problem is definitely annoying, it sounds like the linkage in the steering column is going to break apart and leave me in a ditch somewhere.

- , Yorkville, IL, USA