2007 GMC Sierra 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Sierra 1500:

2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 152016

Sierra 1500

Brake lights stay on. Due to brake lights staying on cruise control is disabled. Vehicle brake opertation is doing the opposite, when in motion stay on and when slowing down or stopped brake lights turn off. Called GMC and informed there is a recall for the same year but for the Chevy Malibu. Took vehicle in for repair to repair and paid to have the body control module replaced on 02/15/2016, almost 7 months later the issue has returned. Attempted to have dealership that replaced part look at but told there is only a 12,000 mile or 12 month warranty and vehicle has reached over the 12,000 so no longer under warranty. We were also informed the was only a "temporary fix, and the BCM doesn't fix the breaks." Dealership claims the second part that needed to be replaced, which we declined, would have permanently fix the issue. Part had already been purchased at $10 and was going to be charged by dealership $150 for them to provide and install. Called GMC customer service for assistance to correct this safety issue. GMC called to inform us that as a courtesy and the approval by the managers at dealership, will be able to give a $2000 voucher towards a new vehicle or used. Called days later as voucher did not come through via email and informed unfortunately voucher as the vehicle must be under 100,000 mile for trade in. Per GMC customer service at this time unable to resolve correcting the safety issue with body module control and it would be the expense of customer to replace again after its been replaced a little over 7 months ago. Very frustrated as driver of the vehicle is 8 months pregnant and due to break lights not working may get into an accident. We were not informed this would only be a temp fix. GMC case information valerie-customer assistance center service request number 8-2334730961 phone number 1-866-790-5600 ext 5911198

- Joshua, TX, USA

Jan 202016

Sierra 1500

Rusted out brake line at 72000 miles. What a disappointment but it doesn't look like I am the only one. Its a shame GM doesn't man up and correct the problem of rusted out brake lines. Luckily I was in front of my house when it failed and not running down the road pulling my 4000 lb. Boat. And yes I have read all the info online about the nhtsb investigating this problem and let GM off the hook by saying owners should wash their cars to remove the road salt that caused this problem. I guess Ford and Dodge owners crawl under their trucks in the winter and do this as there was no investigation on them. By the way I live in tn where winters aren't that bad. And one other thing what marketing buzz saw decided it would be better not to have a split brake fluid reservoir so at least I would have 1/2 of my system, had no brakes front or rear because of this.

- Talbott, TN, USA

Aug 012015

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500. While attempting to drive forward, the brakes would erroneously active while the vehicle was in motion. The contact also indicated that the check engine sensor light activated and remained illuminated. The cause of the failures was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Maynard, AR, USA

Sep 192014

Sierra 1500

I went to a local recycle business to drop off some cans. Upon entering the building at about 10 mph, this guy motion me to stop and walked in front of the truck. I hit the brakes and the peddle almost went to the floor, but did stop. Just missing the guy that walked in front of me. Realizing that a brake line broke and that the dealership wasn't far away, I drove really slow to get there. I left it over the weekend. Monday they found that the brake line that runs from front to rear rusted and burst. $ 463. Later I took the truck home. After crawling under the truck when I got home, I noticed more brake and fuel lines with allot of rust. I applied some paint that's supposed to slow down corrosion. I'm glad I wasn't on the highway with my grand kids in the truck. Or worse, the fuel lines could break. I believe there should be a recall on the brake and fuel lines. How much would it have cost for the manufacturer to have installed stainless steel lines when the truck was built? I'm sure it wouldn't have been much. I hope nobody has to die before anything is done. Thanks for your attention.

- Lexington, OH, USA

Oct 072014

Sierra 1500

While following other normally traveling vehicles downhill - vehicles in front came to a stop - brake peddle was fully depressed...no response...brake fully applied 2nd time...no response...resulting in a rear end collision multiple vehicles...possible total of my 2007 Sierra. Damages are very extensive. Insurance to investigate GM brake possible cause....airbag deployed chest & neck injuries....many other incidents involving GMC brake systems. Need immediate NHTSA investigations !! this could have caused a fatality.

- Squaw Valley, CA, USA

Nov 052013

Sierra 1500 6-cyl

I have bought the truck used I have emailed GMC that I was having issue upon doing so they had sent me a phone number to call which I tried and it said it would not let me from my area I emailed them again and they did not reply. My master cylinder went out on my GMC Sierra 1500 wt extended cab and I found upon replacing the master that they used a 2006 master cylinder on what they call a 2007 vehicle.. lost the brakes completely no wreck. What they did do was send me a letter in the mail stating my bumper to bumper warranty was due to expire how convenient for them. I tried hard because I want to know did they use 06 on my 07 truck to obtain replacement parts it is important. Now a few months later I am noticing that underneath the drivers side that one of the brake lines is starting to leak I still only have 48000 miles on this vehicle no way no how should the lines have rotted out this early or corroded gmcs answer is it is out of warranty. Being on disability I will have to come up with close to 300 dollars to replace all the lines before they blow out and cause me to have a major accident which GMC does not seem to care that they have installed defective parts that prematurely fail.

- Clinton, TN, USA

Nov 052012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle at a rate of 20 mph and started stopping and notice the brakes where going out. I had then lost brake pressure altogether. Used the parking brake to get stopped after putting the vehicle into neutral. I had the truck towed to my local independent mechanic and he checked the vehicle and found all the brake lines to be rusted out, and had lost all brake fluid. Upon finding this he found the majority of the undercarriage to have severe rust damage an several parts also.

- Fairmont, NC, USA