2008 GMC Sierra 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Sierra 1500:

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Sep 022016

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

My dashboard has several cracks exposing the electrical components within the dash. These cracks are in various places across the entire dash. I purchased this vehicle brand new and it is currently in excellent condition (with the exception of the dash) I am concerned that if the air bag were to be deployed the plastic dashboard would explode and expose my passengers or myself to additional hazards within the vehicle. I am also concerned that the electrical system in my dash board is now exposed to additional hazards due to the additional exposure to the sun. I am filing this incident with the hopes that it will help a recall to be issued. I noticed the first small crack in 2011. I have kept an eye on it over the years and as of today, there are exposed openings in the dash in several places. Until today, I thought that I might have just been unlucky, however after doing some research online, it is apparent that I am not alone, and this should be recalled under a manufacturers defect. Thank you for taking the time to file this report on my behalf. Feel free to email me with additional information as needed. Best regards.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 162016

Sierra 1500

Front air bag impact sensors corroded and did not deploy air bag in accident

- Neenah, WI, USA

Apr 262016

Sierra 1500

My service man was pulling out of parking lot at store when air bags exploded and seat belts locked. He did not hit anything and was only going about 10 mph when this happened. Took to local dealer to see if they could fix it. They said yes, but we would have to pay for it. We could contact the manufacturer if necessary. The bill was $1413.89. (parts $798--labor $562.59 tax 48.19). We had to get it fixed as it is illegal to be on the road without seat belts (or air bags). We feel these are defective parts an D we should be reimbursed by the manufacturer.. this is an unsafe vehichle!!!! thanks

- Henderson, KY, USA

Jan 062015

Sierra 1500

Jan 2015 the air bag light came on. Many complaints on this issue. Also June of 2015 the door locks started acting up. Passenger side will not lock/unlock now the driver door is acting up also... many complaints seen on both these concerns.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Nov 122015

Sierra 1500

Power surge to electrical system... voltage meter will drop below 9 volts then the following occurs: Headlights flicker, radio shuts off, climate control shuts off, dash lights flicker, air bag light flashes, service air bag warning pops up, and truck stalls out. This is a dangerous situation while driving and if this is electrical may cause fire. This is intermittent and occurs at anytime for no particular reason regardless of weather/temperature.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that all the automatic door locks failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 194,000. The VIN was not available.

- Decatur, TX, USA

Jul 092014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

3 of my 4 door lock actuators have failed. Both rear doors could not be locked or unlocked except manually from within the vehicle. Reaching over the seat to unlock a child's door in an emergency constitutes a safety hazard. In my opinion, GMC should step up an acknowledge and address this issue.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 122014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

The three passenger doors failed to unlock simultaneously I understand a tsb has been sent to dealers. This seems to be a safety issue, and should require a recall.

- West Paducah, KY, USA

May 082014

Sierra 1500

Rear passenger door will only lock/unlock manually from the inside. I have been told the problem is a failed door lock actuator. It will not lock/unlock with power lock button or key fob and there is no keyhole except on drivers door. This is my second GMC vehicle that has had the same problem and after searching the internet this seems to be a fairly common problem and I am trying to figure out why it has not been recalled or GMC has not been forced to fix the problem. Wouldn't you consider a door that does not lock/unlock the intended way a safety issue?

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 122014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

On 04.12.2014 after going to the store, parked under the carport. The time was 10pm. While inside heard a pop sound around 10:15 pm. Went outside and the truck was on fire. Put truck in neutral and pushed it from under the carport, trying to save damage to the house. Fire dept came and put the fire out. The fire warped all the vinyl under the carport. Lucky it didn't catch the house on fire. The fire was worse on the passenger side of the vehicle.

- Lynn Haven, FL, USA

Jul 112011

Sierra 1500

Passenger automatic door lock quit working first. After 6 months or so the drivers side door lock quit working also. Then within months after the drivers door lock failing both rear door locks quit working within a month of each other. Now none of the doors lock automatically or when the lock button is pushed.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Oct 062012

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Right passenger door lock intermittent locking. Car alarm will set and vehicle will start without the door locking.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 152013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

All four of my trucks door lock actuators have failed.

- Orange, CA, USA

Aug 232013

Sierra 1500

Automatic door lock works intermittently on passenger side rear door. Door lock has to be operated manually to ensure it is locked/unlocked

- Long Grove, IA, USA

Mar 252013

Sierra 1500

My 2008 GMC Sierra has had the electric door locks fail on three of the four doors. The first occurred after about 36,000 miles and the most recent occurred today at about 64,700 mles. The first repair cost over $300. I have been hesitant to have the other two doors repaired because of cost, but safety is a concern. The two rear doors now will not automatically lock when the vehicle is placed in drive, presenting a hazard especially when tranporting children. I have seen numerous similar complaints on the internet. Shoouldn't GM issue a recall for this problem?

- College Station, TX, USA

Feb 252012

Sierra 1500

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. I have read on one post alone about a "reduced engine power" message being displayed, and there are over 400 people complaining about this. The vehicles from GM go into a reduced power and have no throttle at speeds of up to 75+mph. There have been wrecks from this and yet GM does nothing about it. I had the same experience 2 nights ago doing 50 mph with my 3 year old in the back seat. I was a lucky one and had room to pull over before someone smacked into the back of my truck. Please do something for GM owners!!!!!!! this is bs and extremely dangerous! I guess someone has to die first before a recall"?" government motors is crap people. Don't buy!

- Southaven, MS, USA

Nov 162011

Sierra 1500

Power door lock failed on driver door. You can not open door with out lifting hand latch. This is very dangerous-- meaning you can not open door by door handle-- there is no override like provided on other vehicles. Other door failed 2 months later. Truck locks and unlocks doors when moving shifter from park to drive, there is no program option to delete this option. So you lock and unlock doors every time you shift truck transmission to park or in drive. This is not needed in my case, since you can manually do same. This is manufacture defect and should be recalled.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Feb 022011

Sierra 1500

Engine cuts off going down the road in my 2008 GMC Sierra. Serious problem that is had by many others since 2001...very dangerous and due to a sticky throttle body actuator.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Oct 242009

Sierra 1500

Headlights dim when the brakes are applied, when the truck shifts from 1st to second gear and when the blinkers are used at interstate speeds. Contacted GM and have been told this is normal in all vehicles. Also have had 3 door lock actuators and 1 window motor replaced. Had to have the front steering/rack and pinion replaced. Currently having problem with front door not opening.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA