4.5

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Sierra 1500:

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Aug 012013

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start. The vehicle was started after several attempts. In addition, the roof of the vehicle was rusted. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel injector was leaking and going into the cylinder. The vehicle was repaired under warranty; however, a year and a half later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that all eight fuel injectors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred a year later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it received the same diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 09/22/16 updated 10/05/16.

- Madisonville, LA, USA

Apr 162016

Sierra 1500

Something is wrong with the electrical system. All my door locks repeatedly lock and unlock, all my emergency checks and service light go on and off, my gauges all drop to zero, and most recently my vehicle has shut down while I'm driving it. But it happens randomly. Sometimes it's worse than others. I recently had to steer up onto a curb because I was driving and my gauges dropped to zero and my engine completely cut out. And that was after my airbags shut off and my lights and door locks flickered repeatedly. Maybe there's a short in a circuit or wire or maybe it's my alternator but services at a dealership are having a difficult time finding it. And al these things happen whether I'm driving or stationary. Rain or dry. Doesn't matter. But it's clearly unsafe. And I have no choice but to drive it because it's my only means for transportation.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Mar 012015

Sierra 1500

Pulling out of a snow covered parking lot the engine light came on dic then the message, reduced engine power, the engine began to run very rough at a lower idle speed, as began to happen the truck lurched forward and I had to press hard on the brakes very hard like I was fighting the engine speed to slow, then the message changed to service traction control, I had no control over the gas pedal and could only move at about 5mph, then the message changed to service stabilitrak, I got to another area of the parking lot, parked and shut off the engine for a few minutes and the issue would not go away. I was more than two hours from my home. I removed the red battery cable then replaced it and was able to start the engine and it operated normally for a while. One and a half hours later while driving 60mph it happened again and I cost off the interstate and could not get it running again. Had to be towed to a dealership. They said there was a service bulletin to replace the throttle body but want to charge me $215 to clean the other fuel related parts. This needs to be a recall. If it was a recall I would not have to pay $215 to complete the work properly.

- Louisville, CO, USA

Nov 012013

Sierra 1500

Noticed one morning when starting up my truck the valves were tapping. Like out of adjustment. My 5.3 is roller lifters so I was surprised. Took it to dealer and was told that GM had a recall on Cadillac, Chevy and GMC 5.3 and 6.2 engines with defective lifters. Dealer replaced the lifters. Took a week. When I picked up truck service adviser told me to expect to come back around 60K for a new camshaft. Now what!

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 052014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Started truck up and let idle for two minutes. Upon take off, the traction control light came on and was immediately followed by the check engine light with a message stating engine reduced power. The truck then begins to run very rough and when the brakes where applied it violently and uncontrollably lunged forward. I pulled off the road, turned off the engine, and waited a minute or two. Upon restarting the engine, the check engine light came on but the reduced power message and traction light where gone. After sitting at a light for a few seconds, the symptoms where back, nearly causing me to rearend the vehicle in front of me. I pulled over again, turned off the engine for a minute, restarted and the same results as before occured. Now this happens every time the truck is running and sits in the same spot for more than two or three minutes.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 082013

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the contact heard a loud rattling noise outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the failure was contributed to the engine lifters which were replaced; however, the noise persisted. The vehicle remained at the dealer for further investigation. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 13,592.

- Paintsville, KY, USA