2014 GMC Sierra 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Sep 092016

Sierra 1500

Steering wheel springs/snaps (hard) in the opposite direction that the wheel is being turned and steering control is lost. When this does not shut the engine off, the only way to regain steering control is to restart the vehicle. When this does cause the engine to shut off the steering is restored with the restart. The stabili trak indicator appears just for an instant on the dic when this happens. Note: This is not the 'service stabili trak' indicator but more like stabili trak has been activated indicator. This happened first in reverse while backing into a parking spot. (three times in reverse). Then it started happening in drive, twice while pulling out from a stop sign and once while doing 15-20 mph turning onto a side street. The 15-20 mph turning instance caused the engine to shut off, steering became non existent for an instant and then very very heavy. I crossed the other lane of traffic and almost landed in the ditch. The truck has been at the dealership twice for a total of 14 days, both times 'cannot duplicate' was the result. No codes are being generated from these instances. Cause is unknown. Loose voltage or high resistance to grounds maybe. This has happened in hot and cold weather, running ac or heater or neither. There is no pattern. Please help.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Nov 022016

Sierra 1500

Written by my wife on 11/04/16: On 11/02/16 at approximately 2:45 pm I was driving slowly through a parking lot trying to find a space. I found a space and as I turned my wheel to the left it locked up roughly, jerking the steering wheel out of my hands as I pulled into the spot. After the steering wheel locked up, jerking very abruptly, the power surged and the truck died. This is probably the 30th time this has happened to me. This particular time there was no error message displayed this time. Usually I get a message which pops up on the instrument cluster forward of the steering wheel that says 'service stabiltrac┐ or ┐action required, steering assist is reduced, drive with care.┐ it seems there is a steering malfunction because this issue usually occurs while making a turn but the truck has had this same error message while driving straight on the highway. I am unsure of what the problem is but I do know it is dangerous to drive this vehicle until the problem is resolved. Road conditions/weather conditions also play no part in when this malfunction takes place. Other pertinent information regarding this issue is that the headlights do flicker from time to time. We have been dealing with this issue since August of this year and have still not found a resolution. Landmark Chevrolet in taylorville, il has had our vehicle in the shop 4 times on this issue alone and put over 200 miles on our vehicle with no resolution. Friendly Chevrolet in springfield il had our truck for nearly 3 weeks and put over 70 miles on the vehicle...no resolution. Here are a couple videos we recorded and uploaded to youtube documenting the issue. Taken on September 18th, 2016: Https://youtu.be/gp1abwxradg taken on September 19th, 2016: Https://youtu.be/O5aaob4ewzg

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Sep 062016

Sierra 1500

The problem started while backing a trailer and turning. The stabiltrack light came on and the steering wheel jerked out of my hand. It happened a few more times and then the truck died. Later while driving the stabilitrack light would flash on and the dic would go black. The a.C. would also go out and come back on. It would also do this when turning on the signal light or stepping on the brake pedal. I was in a parking lot today driving slowly and the St message came then the dic went black again. When I tried to turn the wheel it started jerking back and pulled out of my hand. It seems that shutting the truck off and restarting solves the problem for a day or two. This is a very unsafe issue and I have seen and read many complaints. I have been a huge fan of GM and all I have ever owned were GM vehicles, but this issue is making me wonder if I should have bought a Ford instead. It seems that GM is not worried about recalling because of this safety issue, which there are many complaining of the same thing, and my warranty is about to run out.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 132015

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving 40 mph, another vehicle crashed head on into the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained severe whiplash and a concussion, which required medical attention. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and sent an engineer to inspect the vehicle. Shortly after, while driving at an unknown speed, the stabilitrac warning light illuminated and the power steering malfunctioned. The steering wheel jerked violently. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that all the steering electronic sensors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Wilsonville, AL, USA

May 142014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Was making a right hand turn onto on-ramp, vehicle's brake lights on dash all came on, radio station changed channels and engine hesitated. Warning lights on dash went out, radio stayed on switched channel, engine returned to normal, but service stability track information came up on panel. Service warning went off in about 300 yards, vehicle returned to normal operation.

- Lake Ozark, MO, USA