2014 GMC Sierra 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Jul 242016

Sierra 1500

Intermittently, when applying the brakes to stop for a red light, the engine wants to keep the vehicle going at the same speed and fights the brake so the vehicle cannot stop. Shifting the gear shift into neutral allows the brakes to work but the engine RPM revs up to 2500 RPM for about 15 seconds before dropping to idle. If the driver didn't apply the brakes hard enough or shift into neutral, the vehicle would overpower the brakes and drive into anything ahead. Analogy: It acts as if the cruise control was on (and it's not) and tried to keep the same forward speed no matter the brake application. Dealer cannot reproduce the problem, no alert warning light. Some times, going at highway speed, taking foot off accelerator and expecting vehicle to start slowing down, it stays at same speed for about 15 seconds before dropping rpms. This has been happening, intermittently, for a few months.

- Hollis, NH, USA

Jun 062016

Sierra 1500

The traction control is not working. On wet pavement it spins sideways out of control. Definitely a safety issue acknowledged by the dealer but after 5 straight weeks of working on the problem, GM says it's normal. This will get someone killed.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Apr 252016

Sierra 1500

I have taken my truck into the dealer 3 times for clunking during shifting and losing power between 30-45 mph when attempting to accelerate in traffic. I have been told by the dealer that GMC says this is normal for my truck. It is not normal for these problems. I have researched this issue on the internet and it has been identified as a problem with the active fuel management system controlled by the computer module to achieve expected gas mileage demanded by the government. I paid $42,000 dollars for this truck brand new. I shouldn't be having this occur. I owned a 1995 GMC extended cab that is still on the road with 215,000 miles. This truck has only 23,000 miles after 2 years of ownership.

- Port Republic, MD, USA

Oct 312014

Sierra 1500

Vehicle has shudder, wobble and vibration when being driven at speeds 40-80. GMC has diagnosed as a tire issue but vehicle has been seen 14+ times and tires have all been road force balanced, numerous times. GMC refuses to diagnose further and has not identified the cause of the problem. Vibration has affected other components. Commonly reported problem affecting 2014 GMC Sierra trucks based on internet search.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jan 192015

Sierra 1500

The part broke in half at low speed while I was driving in a construction area (my own driveway being installed) I hit something and the metal casing of the axle where it attaches to the front diff. Broke in half. I am 60 years old my wife was in the truck I was going so slow the speedometer was on 0. the dealer said the part was cracked by the impact. This is supposed to be a heavy duty 4X4 P/U, if I was going at 40 mph off road what would have broke and what would have been the result? I think the metal of the casing was flawed and I am afraid to keep the truck. The dealer said this isn't a warranty issue I had to put a claim into my ins. This is not only a concern for safety but for finances as well. I paid $44,000. Cash for this truck, it is the Sierra slt not only a 4X4 but it has 20" rims for added height. This was not hit hard enough to crack a steel casing. The truck is at a GMC/Buick dealer in mount dora fl. They said it might take awhile to find the parts to fix it. I do not think GMC makes cheap trucks or dangerous trucks but I think after this gets fixed I will be looking into trading it.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Jul 312014

Sierra 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Excessive vibration at highway speeds. Manufacturer is aware but has no solution.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Apr 222014

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that after exiting the vehicle, it rolled away. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 3,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Long Valley, NJ, USA