4.1

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Sep 092016

Sierra 1500

Steering wheel springs/snaps (hard) in the opposite direction that the wheel is being turned and steering control is lost. When this does not shut the engine off, the only way to regain steering control is to restart the vehicle. When this does cause the engine to shut off the steering is restored with the restart. The stabili trak indicator appears just for an instant on the dic when this happens. Note: This is not the 'service stabili trak' indicator but more like stabili trak has been activated indicator. This happened first in reverse while backing into a parking spot. (three times in reverse). Then it started happening in drive, twice while pulling out from a stop sign and once while doing 15-20 mph turning onto a side street. The 15-20 mph turning instance caused the engine to shut off, steering became non existent for an instant and then very very heavy. I crossed the other lane of traffic and almost landed in the ditch. The truck has been at the dealership twice for a total of 14 days, both times 'cannot duplicate' was the result. No codes are being generated from these instances. Cause is unknown. Loose voltage or high resistance to grounds maybe. This has happened in hot and cold weather, running ac or heater or neither. There is no pattern. Please help.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Nov 292016

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle slowed and the ABS, brake, check engine, and other indicators illuminated. The brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road and was later driven home. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the cause of the failure could not be diagnosed. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but did not respond. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 152014

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle vibrated without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The failure recurred. The dealer replaced four tires, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was referred back to the dealer for more diagnostic testing. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was 9.

- San Antonio, TN, USA

Sep 302016

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving 25 mph and making a left or right turn, the vehicle jerked violently and caused the steering wheel to become erratic. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,800.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Sep 062016

Sierra 1500

The problem started while backing a trailer and turning. The stabiltrack light came on and the steering wheel jerked out of my hand. It happened a few more times and then the truck died. Later while driving the stabilitrack light would flash on and the dic would go black. The a.C. would also go out and come back on. It would also do this when turning on the signal light or stepping on the brake pedal. I was in a parking lot today driving slowly and the St message came then the dic went black again. When I tried to turn the wheel it started jerking back and pulled out of my hand. It seems that shutting the truck off and restarting solves the problem for a day or two. This is a very unsafe issue and I have seen and read many complaints. I have been a huge fan of GM and all I have ever owned were GM vehicles, but this issue is making me wonder if I should have bought a Ford instead. It seems that GM is not worried about recalling because of this safety issue, which there are many complaining of the same thing, and my warranty is about to run out.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 152016

Sierra 1500

Vehicle will lose power and shut off while driving, while in reverse I have had the steering wheel ripped out of my hands. Random error messages on dic, random starting issues. Taken to shop multiple times, they cannot find an issue.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Feb 022016

Sierra 1500

Radiator leaking from top corner driver side and passennger also rust on frame

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Nov 012015

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. While driving at a low speed on an incline, the vehicle rolled backwards and then stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle functioned as intended. The failure mileage was 15,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- New Boston, NH, USA

Aug 012014

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that while driving the gear shifted into neutral inadvertently and caused the vehicle to abruptly accelerate. The contact also stated the vehicle consumed the engine oil prematurely and exhibited electrical failure with the windows opening and closing independently and the headlights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failures however; the dealer advised there was nothing they could do to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified F the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,000.

- Charlstown, NH, USA

Jun 112014

Sierra 1500 8-cyl

Initial vehicle start was fine. After dropping my son at his summer program, I returned to the vehicle and the engine would not start. All of the instruments and gauges powered on, but when I turned the key, nothing happened. I turned the power back to the off position and attempted to start again. I repeated this procedure eight separate times before the truck finally started. I am foreseeing a 2nd trip to the dealer's service department soon, but 1st for this issue. My 1st trip was due to the intellilink infotainment system going black. I took the truck to the dealer and was told there was a recall for the radio module to be reprogrammed. The reprogramming did not work and I had to wait another business day for a new radio module to be ordered and installed. I am beginning to doubt my purchase of this vehicle. I have owned it less than 1 month and I am anticipating another service department visit soon.

- Knoxville, TN, USA